1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you remember what your first post was about?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I don't, and I haven't really been here that long.
    Oh wait, I think it was something to do with Heat.... no, its gone!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

"Uh, anyone got any reel.com coupon codes?" [​IMG]

3. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

Here? I don't remember.
    But it's fun to go back in google and find early usenet postings.
    I think this post about Amiga 500 games in 1988 is my first recorded public forum posting.
    This one is perhaps my first home theater related posting (sort of). It's the account of my "yes" vote on rec.audio.high-end. Oohhhhhh.. Ahhhhh...
    -Steve

4. Mike_Mig

Mike_Mig Stunt Coordinator

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I have no idea. I wish I remembered now.

6. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I can't even remember what my last post was about, let alone my first one!!!

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I wouldn't want to look at my early posts - I'm asinine enough now; I can only imagine how much worse it was back then...

8. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

if you are including BBS, and usenet, etc... I believe it was probably something to do with DOS 3.0 and freeware. Or perhaps it was something like "whoa! these ANSI graphics are cool!"... or "There is a new revolutionary PC-Magazine utility out. It is the NO command. You can now type in 'del *.* no *.exe'. Amazing! What will they think of next?".....I think "How do I get DOS to recognize more than 640K RAM?" was also a big one.
    I had my own BBS when I was about 13. whole different deal back then. I think there was only Compuserve, maybe Prodigy as the only service/content providers. I remember checking some of them out, and I was pretty floored that there were encyclopedia info and stuff on these sites. For the most part cruising boards meant that you had a neat list of all the different phone numbers for the boards in your area that you could call. Of course I also had a phone number for a phone company server that I could call and then use their system to dial into any BBS in the world. That was alot of fun then, not something you think about now.
    its funny that before the internet "happened" I had ditched computers and never posted again until this past summer.
    unlike alot of stories like this, I don't recall anything being ridiculously cheap compared to now. That would be a good way to end the story. [​IMG]

9. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I don't remember exactly what I asked but it had something to do with Paradigm speakers. The constant praise here for the brand peaked my interest and forced me to include them on my audition list.

10. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

It was not about Star Wars. That's all I know and all I need to know. It probably had something to do with Phil's old LD player, which I still have.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Are you kidding? [​IMG]
    It may have been an introduction but I honestlt cannot remember.

12. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

I think mine was asking Steve Simon about a new receiver to purchase. I followed his advice and bought the Denon 4800. Thanks Steve!

13. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I was most likely asking if Reel shipped to Canada and what duties would be charged.

Us early Canadian adopters of DVD missed out on something really good.

14. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Ron Eastman my first post was also about Paradigms (freaky), but I had just bought them, and I was living in Iowa City at the time. It took about 3 days for me to realized that the BB there was about as cool as the import car racer boards where everyone is 16 and thinks rulz is a word. [​IMG] Then I came here and got some real answers.

15. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Probably asking why Lucas had allowed muppets and ewoks screw up his SF saga (oof!).[​IMG]
    No I think my first few posts were "Who else here likes flims with Gladiators chopping off heads?"
    Followed by a panicky "erm hello! where the female members at?".
    And the inevitable "oi wheres me bleedin' thread gone?"

16. Marianne

Marianne Supporting Actor

I was lurking around for a while when a thread was started asking where the German gladiator went (in "Gladiator"). No one seemed to know, but I did. So I registered just to answer that question. This was just after the movie release so noone could check it out on the DVD yet. [​IMG]

17. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Of course! It was Jan or Feb of 1998 and I was ready to purchase a DVD player. I lurked for several weeks concerned about the requirement of using your real name. After seeing how well behaved the vast majority (hundreds) of members were and how quickly sh!t heads were removed, I decided to join. Ended up purchasing the Toshiba 3107 and received not one but two free copies of VE!

18. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I'm not certain, but I think my first post was a question about an inexpensive subwoofer. I don't remember the details, but I'm glad I didn't buy it, whatever it was. I now have an SVS, and I know there is no way I would have been as happy with the cheap sub I originally asked about.
    Now as far as my second post....I have no idea. [​IMG]
    Steve K.

19. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Actually, I do remember. I had been lurking for awhile, and had just registered. Someone asked a question about "Lonesome Dove" and its sequels. Being a big fan of these shows I was able to answer it.
    But, like Steve said, I have no idea about post # 2! [​IMG]

20. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My first several dozen posts were all about DIY subs. I first found alt.home-theatre news group (don't even go there anymore, so much nicer at a moderated place). From there I found AVS. Then when I was thinking about a sub, I got turned onto DIY and was pointed here and to HTT. Now I spend most of my time here.