Do You Remember July 20, 1969?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Jan 6, 2003.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I just watched a most impressive film, 2001's "The Dish", with Sam Neill. And it reminded me of watching that historic event on live TV in July 1969 (man's first steps on the moon).
    Who's old enough to recall this famous event in our history?
    (You oughta get that movie BTW (The Dish). It's highly-entertaining. Quite funny. With a good blend of drama mixed in with the laughs. Yes, it's 16x9 enhanced, with 5.1 sound. Good presentation as well.)
    "That's one small step for man...."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I have 'The Dish', David, great little film, a huge hit in Australia, um all Australian films seem to be huge hits in Austr.. oh forget it.
    I vaguely remember the moon landings even though I was just six, squinting at fuzzy b/w images on our 18 inch telly. I was very interested in space when I was young, still am, just like nearly every other kid at that time I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up...

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I remember that day very well indeed. A number of my friends and I gathered to all watch together. Outstanding.

And what I was most impressed with, was being able to watch the takeoff from the moon. Now that was something that I’d never thought that anyone would be able to do.

One of my most memorable moments was my father taking me out in the back yard to look for the first Sputnik passing overhead. Back then, there were tips in the paper as to how (and when) to spot the first satellites (there was big publicity when the U.S. managed to put up Telstar).

If you liked The Dish, some of the same Aussies (including the director, Rob Sitch) made another movie titled The Castle, which is a bit predictable, but quite funny. It might have a bit too much Aussie humor and references for Americans to really enjoy, but I found it very funny.

As for the moon landings themselves, Criterion has a DVD of For All Mankind, which is well worth a purchase. The extras (presuming that you are interested in the space program) are a superb bonus. Highly recommended.

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

An unparalleled account of Apollo 11's fantastic journey can be obtained here.

5. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer