What's new

Do you refurbish/fix your gas BBQ, or toss/replace it? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I spent today performing my every-two-years maintenance on my gas BBQ.
It's a three burner "Turbo" model made by Barbeques Galore. Back in 1991 when I bought it, Barbeques Galore's models were all made in Australia to fine quality specifications. The burners are cast metal with holes drilled for the gas to come out and burn - much better control of the flames that way. The grills are cast iron. The cart is jarra wood, some extreme hardwood version of eucalyptus they have in Oz. The metal hood is porcelain black coated. They give a 5 year unconditional warranty.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I used to get the relatively cheap ones, around $100-150, so I'd just replace it every few years but the last one I bought 2 years ago cost about $200 (but was actually worth much more) so I'll be keeping it for quite a while. I'm going to find the time to maintain and refurbish it.

On a side note, I've also been buying old speakers (mostly Infinity's) on ebay and CL and repairing them for re-sale. Bought 5 pair and sold three. Still working on the other two. I'm not making much money on them but I'm having fun, learning a few things and meeting some nice people. Hmmm...I wonder if there's a market for repaired/refurbished gas grills? Maybe next year .

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I buy cheap $100-$125 grills that last me about 3 years. We don't entertain much so the small grill is enough for a family of 5.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My last BBQ grill cost about $120 or so on clearance at the end of the season in 1997. It lasted me 10 years because I replaced the internals (burners, lava rocks, grates) every few years. And that was a cheap cast aluminum bottom of the line grille. Worked good till I finally trashed it - the cart was rusting and I had a new deck that I didn't want rust flaking on. My current grille I plan on keeping just as long or longer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I give my BBQ grills a thorough cleaning mid-season and then at the end of the season...and store them inside (garage) during the off-season. Mine easily last 10+ years.

I'm pretty much a klutz mechanically...but even I find maintenance (burner replacement, etc.) on gas grills to be pretty simple stuff.

I also picked up a nice stainless model at an end-of-year clearance sale last time out. I expect this one will last quite a long time.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
The first one I had lasted about 10 years and I replaced the burners once. The second I bought last year only cost $107 and I plan to just throw it away in a couple of years. I found with the first one that it never worked as good after I replaced the burners.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I am on my second. I had my first cheaper on for 5+ years and plan on keeping my more expensive one that has 4 years on it for another 5+ years minimum. Every year I do a good cleaning and inspection. Based on this years inspection I think I will need to replace one or two burners next year. The trick is getting replacement parts that are an exact match to the original parts. When I ordered "original" replacement parts for our first grill (a Sunbeam), nothing lined up right. The current grill is a Weber so I don't think that will be a problem.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I bought my Weber 8 years ago, and I've replaced the igniter, and am getting ready for my third set of grates. I am thinking that the burners might go out sometime after their warranty (10 yrs), and new grates every 3 yrs or so, but other than cleaning it out every spring I imagine I'll have it for quite some time.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I bought our Broil King 13 years ago. At that time it cost about $450. In the 13 years I replaced the grates under warranty in about 3 years after it was purchased and have had the same grates for 10 years and they still work just fine. The first ones were actually recalled due to a manufacturing defect. This past weekend I ordered a new burner, briquette grate, and briquettes. The cost was about $100. I also repainted the grill box (aluminum where the black paint started to peel) this past weekend with grill paint. The grill stays outside all year long here in KC, except we do keep a cover over it when not in use.

Prior to buying that grill I went through two "cheapies" in about 3 years. Probably about $200 worth of grills in 3 years.

I am very happy with the Broil King and hope it lasts another 13 years!!

We grill probably 4 times a week during the spring / summer / fall and occasionally in the winter when the weather is mild.

Mike

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Dumb question: How do you dispose of an old gas BBQ grill? Take it to the local landfill? I'd like to get a new one, but I have to get rid of the old one first.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by James Lee

Dumb question: How do you dispose of an old gas BBQ grill? Take it to the local landfill? I'd like to get a new one, but I have to get rid of the old one first.
I just take the tank off and put it by the road on trash day.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by drobbins

I just take the tank off and put it by the road on trash day.
I do the same thing, but as with other large items, I call the trash people to make sure they know that a large item will be at my address.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So, I'm wondering, do you all just toss and replace your Mercedes Benz every couple of years, or maintain it? Me, I like to hand polish its inlaid teak accents and clean the leather seats and have Fritz, my German mechanic, do a thorough tuneup and clean the points every six months. But how about you?

( I bought the Mazda 3 equivalent of grills. I clean it up a bit before each use, and need to replace the starter battery, it seems. But I expect I'll drive it into the ground and then replace it.)

mylan

Screenwriter
We're on our second Whirlpool grill, the latest a stainless steel model, and both housewarming gifts from the mother-in-law. The first one basically rusted out from being left outside but was still useable with some work. A call to Goodwill took that one off our hands.
The newest one is five years old and sits under a screened in porch but we are on our third set of cast iron burners due to the holes rusting out.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by DaveF

Try Yugo! I buy the cheapest around! I have tried to replace burners, but it just doesn't seem to work the same. So for the price of the new burner and grate, I am 1/2 way towards the cost of a new one.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave, you're in the backwaters of Kentucky. I figured you just grabbed some deadwood and hosted a bonfire! :) (that's how we did it when I was in Kentuckiana!)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by DaveF /forum/thread/292509/do-you-refurbish-fix-your-gas-bbq-or-toss-replace-it#post_3606186 Actually my house is not even in the picture yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks