Do you receive HD NET? Then you can help me.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis M, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I just bought a new HD tv and I am very happy with it but many times on the HD net channel the tv shows a thin black line vertically on the left side of the screen. The line gets smaller or bigger depending on the programing.

Today while watching a nature show about tigers, I could hardly see it but a sport show came after that and the black line became bigger than ever of about an inch. Has anybody had this problem?. dvds always fill out the whole screen and look great.

2. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Let me add that the tv is in the full format mode when watching anamorphic dvds so I meant to say they fill both sides of the screen not the whole screen while in the HD NET channel is impossible to change the format as we all know.

3. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Yes, many people have complained about this. If you have very low overscan on your set and/or display, you will see that the entire image is shifted slightly to the right, which will leave a black bar gap on the left-hand side. I'm pretty sure HDNet knows about it, but it may be some kind of a difficult technical fix for them. You might want to send them an email anyway.

4. Brett_V

Brett_V Extra

What type of TV and DSS receiver are you using? I have a pioneer pro-610 coupled to an RCA DTC-100 and I havent experienced this problem exactly but; My SAT receiver allows me to adjust the centering of the HD feed, and I did have to alter this setting when I first hooked everything up because the HD picture was off-center.

The picture was off-center on every HD channel though and this doesnt sound like your problem.

I believe the adjusted parameter was called "rastering", and it took me a while to navigate to this control feature and figure out exactly how to do it.

Anyway, hope is is of some help.

5. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Brett, I have the new RCA SCENIUM and I think the direct tv receiver built in is the same one you have but I don't see anything in the menus to fix this problem.

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

It's a DirectTV problem. Channel 199 is slightly shifted to the right. My TV can't even handle that little overscan on its HD input so I don't get a bar, but it is obviously right shifted (a bit of the logo gets cut off, sometimes)

You could go into your service menu and increase the overscan so you don't see it, or just live with it and wait for DTV to fix it (though I think it's had the problem ever since then original DTV demo channel was on there.)

7. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

i just had my directv up and running turned to HDnet and the picture looks great, one thing though, the gal in the pink sweater looks a little wide or fat... is that how she looks?

i have a mits65907, no chance to tweak just yet, please advise....also the coach on the lacrosse team looks pudgy as well... hmmm

ps. i dont see the thin black line you speak of...yet.

TIA.

RR

8. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

from my previous post, forgot to mention i have the mits sr-hd5 receiver. i was able to change to 16:9 TV last night, but then didnt get a chance to see the info channel again with the girl.

so far so good.

9. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Richard, I don't think you can change the aspect ratio of an incoming HD signal, they way you see it- is the way it is Unless there's a new tv that can manage. I think the "FAT GIRL" from HD Net won't appreciate your comments.