What's new

Do You realy need Dolby Prologic or DPL II (1 Viewer)

Don K

Agent
I'm thinking of buying a Nad 761 but it does not have Dolby Prologic. The dealer said unless you listen to alot of video tape you really don't neet it. Doesn't DPL and DPL II take ordinary tv broadcasts and coverts it into 5 channel sound? If so I would definitely want this feature.

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
i would be VERY surprised if the NAD does not have prologic. I think every dolby digital decoder chip ever made has a prologic program as well. It may not explicitly state prologic on the receivers face plate, but check the manual or the NAD website. Now there's a good chance it doesn't have prologic II unless it states it on the front panel - Dolby's got a new logo for that that says Dolby Digital and Pro Logic II all together.

Don K

Agent
Nad comes with Dolby Digital and Doby Theater System but not Dobly Prologic. Even the Nad Dealer said it does not come with it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is a good article. I was/AM also not that impressed with PL-II myself also. I am comparing it to 5.1 discrete sound however, which is not entirely fair, and my reciever also only has the "basic" PL-II (non adjustable). Couple that with the fact that I no longer even have a VCR in my main system, and in the bedroom where it now is, it also is basically unused because of the DVD in there also. I want to be fair to PL-II, and it was one of the factors when I was lookiing for my new receiver (settled on Marantz SR6200) so I can't say I wasn't interested. When I started using PL-II however, I don't see it as a night and day improvement, though it is noticably better than DPL, particularly for music. I don't think it comes close enough to true 5.1 to make me happy.

CS5.1 (Circle Surround) does a much better and more convincing job, IMO.

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
Read the Product manual.......
It does do Pro-logic! My NAD T760 does it , so does the T761......
Link Removed
The Salesperson should know his product.?:emoji_thumbsup:
* Read the last paragraph in the "Ease of Use" section.
Also.....Don the EARS Feature on that Receiver does a great job of handling the audio from your TV.
Review says it, also.

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
No PLII? Not in a million years for me.:emoji_thumbsup:
Need it? I don't know if you do, but I surely do. It is a satisfactory compromise for many of us left with analog cable TV.

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to go read that article. I play CDs, VHS tapes, and old movies on DVD (no 5.1 sound track), and the ProLogic II is often the best of all the processors at delivering an excellent 5.1 sound from sources that do not have it (mono and stereo sources).

Circle Surround sometimes. 5-channel stereo sometimes, DSP rarely, DTS Neo sometimes, but ProLogic II is the one I would not part with, if I had to select only one processor, after DTS and Dolby Surround. DTS is my absolute favourite sound track.

BruceD

Screenwriter
John,
I think you hit the nail on the head basic non-adjustable DPL-2 is really a waste of time and money. Those manufacturers providing this form of brain-dead DPL-2 should be ashamed.
You won't get the true benefit of DPL-2 unless you get the full-blown version with all it's adjustments so you can adjust it to your speaker/room configuration.
Then, as many have indicated, it will approach DD 5.1 in it's capabilities with normal 2-channel sources (analog VCR, analog TV, digital DD 2.0, digital DD Stereo, digital DD Surround) for HT.
For music, the adjustments are critical if you don't want to be sitting in the middle of the band.
Just IMHO.
BruceD

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
NEED????? Not in the least. Some people want it and use it. I never use DPL, so I would say you need it.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
As for myself, let me be counted in the number of those who advocate DPL II as a home theater listening option.
From the time I finally got my Onkyo 797 all the way together, I was instantly amazed at how well DPL II sounds on the LPCM Digital Dolby Surround Soundtracks of my laserdiscs. It has made many of my LD's with no more than Dolby Surround come fully and all-the-way alive!!!!! I just love the way my stereo signals are enhanced, my center channel fortified, my surround signals are now full-range and better audibly and my sub, when applicable, is getting a hearty output now from the magnified bass signals present inside of the native 2-channel feed. As well, it has fared well for me on non-discrete DVD's with no more than a Dolby Surround soundtrack on them.
Needless to say, I do indeed dig it!!! ;)

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Most, if not all, over the air broadcast is in DPL, at least the prime-time stuff as well as most movies. So yes, you do need at least DPL. DPL II is DPL enhanced so it's nice to have if you can get it. All equipment that have DD have DPL by default for backwards compatibility - I think it's part of the spec.

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
From my experiences with PLII, it is useful, to a certain degree, with film and TV based sources. A good ambient effect can be created.

However, the idea of using PLII for music doesn't appeal to me at all. The best part of using good speakers and good amplification is the wonderful stereo sound that's created, where you get a wonderful soundstage with just two channels. Distorting the sound by forcing it to come from the rears etc, seem to defeat the purpose.

Cheers,

Mal

John Royster

Screenwriter
I'd agree with the previous post. For me it is a nice to have mainly because of cable TV. But using it with music just sounds bad on my system, way too un-natural. The added effects of trying to force music to speakers that the source wasn't recorded in just doesn't make sense, nor does it work.

Might as well listen to your favorite CDs in "rock arena" mode.

So - do you need pro logic2? If you listen to prologic sources and want the added flexibility PL2 provides then yes. if not, then no.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Most, if not all, over the air broadcast is in DPL, at least the prime-time stuff as well as most movies.
Are you sure about that? I have digital cable, and I have yet to listen to one single broadcast that was flagged for DPL.

DPL is a format that takes a stereo signal and creates a matrix over several speakers. I have heard of VHS tapes flagging for it, but not a TV broadcast.

JordanM

Agent
DPLII is a great way to play DPL sources like my 100+ pre-recorded tapes and my 50+ LaserDiscs with 5.1 quality sound.

Anyone with an older collection of video software should get a DPLII receiver to update their sound to DVD Dolby Digital or DTS near quality.

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
I think you hit the nail on the head basic non-adjustable DPL-2 is really a waste of time and money. Those manufacturers providing this form of brain-dead DPL-2 should be ashamed.
Does anyone know if the Onkyo 595 has the "basic non- adjustable DPL-2" or does it allow user input?

Thanks,

-Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks