What's new

Do you re-arrange Widescreen/Fullscreen DVD's on the shelf? (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
On occasion, I'll move the WS in front of the P&S, but not often. I usually get what I want and leave.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Yes, that is worse. Sometimes they will tell the customers that no widescreen version exists, just because they don't carry that version. They do not always carry both versions, as Wal-Mart did not carry the WS Animal House. If they do carry both versions, they may run out of widescreen copies, and not order more, so it may only be the first two weeks that they carry widescreen for some titles. So after the first two weeks, WS does not exist. What is worse than that though, is when they do have copies of a widescreen DVD, but tell the customer that they have to have a widescreen TV to watch it in widescreen. That's just ludicrous.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I am totally amazed at the thinking that is going on here. :eek: Why the hell would you put a WS DVD in FRONT of a Fullframe?????? :confused:

Don't you realize that the only people who just willy nilly grab the first DVD off the shelf are the ones who don't give a damn about how the film is presented?

Only the TRUE lovers of DVD will do a hard search to find an OAR. Why would you want all the J6P's to buy the WS copies and leave behind all of the Fullframe copies? Considering all the talk I hear about how hard it is to find WS copies at Wal-Mart, you'd think you people would want to hide them so that only the TRUE DVD lovers would be able to purchase them.

I mean, how many of you OAR lovers have given up looking for WS if the first one on the shelf isn't a WS???

Am I the only one that sees the consequences as being 'worse' than your intentions?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Why would you want all the J6P's to buy the WS copies and leave behind all of the Fullframe copies?
Well, I say, the more that sell the better. If a J6P just buys it blind because he has no Idea what the hell he is purchasing, I say that stupidity negates the minor deceptiveness of putting a WS DVD in front of P&S

Jeff Leigh

Agent
Costco has this nasty habit of putting their DVDs in a small cardboard box that covers up part of the front of the package (more packaging...just what we need). So basically plastic, cardboard, more plastic, and then those damn sticker seals that take forever to get off. But when I recently bought Animal House, the damn cardboard box was covering up the Full Screen/Widescreen portion of the DVD case. And of course I got the wrong one and didn't realize it until I got home.

The wrong one being the Full Screen version of course.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Hey don't knock Costco, they have shown more support of OAR than most stores. Even with the pacakaging, couldn't you see the spec grid for Animal house on the back?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, I say, the more that sell the better. If a J6P just buys it blind because he has no Idea what the hell he is purchasing, I say that stupidity negates the minor deceptiveness of putting a WS DVD in front of P&S
But most are saying that Wal-Mart doesn't sell many copies (if any) of the WS versions, so how does a J6P buying it instead of someone who wanted it, going to make any difference?

I think everyone thinks that forcing a few people into watching WS movies is going to somehow change things, but it just ain't gonna happen.

Sorry for the bitterness, but I could care less for those who really need their Fullframe video. I say let them have it. Let them all spend their money on the 'crappy' version and leave the OAR to the truly 'worthy' DVD viewer.

I'd rather sell 10 fullframe videos to J6P's if it ensures that 10 OAR supporters have the ability to buy what they want at the store. The more you force the few WS copies on J6P, the more complaints you'll hear about Wal-Mart not carrying many WS titles.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I think in the end you are only making more work for employee's. Every store has a worker that has to walk around and straighten things up. No, you wouldnt be making a mess, but how do you think all those dvd's stay in some kind of order? Some guy or girl puts them that way, and several times a day they arrange them.

I love WS, but I dont think I'll ever become so obsessed that I actually spend time in a store trying to arrange all the WS dvds to be ahead of FS ones...

Do you think that WS is endanger of extinction? I dont think they are. :)

chris_clem

Second Unit
Wow! Am I glad that here in the Philippines (region 3) at least 99% of the dvd's here are widescreen! P&S just doesn't exist here for dvd's!:D But then again for a time laserdisc was more popular here than VHS so people here are used to renting/buying widescreen all the time... And I have never heard of any one complaining about "black bars" on the screen EVER! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks