Do you raise the TONE on your Denon 3802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMW, Feb 10, 2002.

1. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

For 2 months I have owned a Denon 3802. I have always left the Tone control (bass + treble) at 0. I just picked up a few DVDA discs and noticed they sounded a bit shallow. I raised the bass to +4 and the treble to +6 and it really brought some life into the sound. I tried the same tone levels on movies and TV and it sounds more defined as well.

Is it recommended you leave the tone at 0 for "natural" sound?

2. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

John, turning up the bass to +4 and treble to +6, would that not be the same as leaving the bass at 0 and boosting the treble to 2 ? anyways, purist are going to tell you to NEVER use the tone controls. I am of the mind that you should do whatever makes it sound the best to you. I tried it for a while with the denon 3801 and liked it at first, but after time I realized that it was just the sound boost that I liked, so I decided to turn them off. Also my thinking is that it has to degrade the sound. One other thing and I may be wrong but I don think you can use the tone controls for dd and dts ? not sure though...thanks

3. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

Have you hooked up the DVD-A player through the external inputs?

If you are able to affect the sound of the DVD-Audio disks by using the tone controls then you are using an (in this case) inferior digital connection and are not receiving any benifet from the new format. If anything the music (being DTS) would sound worse than a conventional CD.

-Dave

4. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Great point, Dave!!

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

More than likely, this has to do with Fletcher-Munson curves. The ear is more sensitive to certain frequencies (3-5 kHz) for example. And the sensitivity changes as the volume rises. So, if you're not listening loud, then it's going to sound flat. So, a boost in bass and treble will help with that. As you raise the volume, you'll need less and less of that boost. Try it out:

Listen at a low volume and EQ to taste. Then boost the volume and listen. Now, try backing off the EQ some, and it should sound better.

Also, boosting the bass to +4 and treble to +6 is not the same as bass at 0 and treble at +2. These are EQ adjustments that affect the signal, they are not like discrete channel level adjustments.

6. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

I have the Audio Outputs of the JVC SA70BK going in to the Ext In of the 3802. I am using (3) pr of AR Pro series audio composite (rca) cables for the hookup. I have an AR Pro Digital Coax cable going from the JVC to the 3802 as well. I switch the 3802 to the Ext In on the remote when playing a DVDA disc, and the bright blue LED is on the JVC indicating a DVDA is playing.

Am I doing something wrong since I can hear a difference in tone when adjusting the bass and treble on the 3802?

7. JamesMart

JamesMart Agent

No John, You are not doing anything wrong. You can change the tone controls with the Analog Signal (EXT IN) On.

8. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Well, I have a Denon 3300 which I use as a Pre/Pro. Before that I had HK, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, Onkyo receivers. I find the Denon to be more neutral(dull)in its natural sound without upping the Tone controls. I have Monitor Audio Silver 5s and 10 Center channel, so they are quite detailed naturally.

The HK was my personal preference for music being very detailed with solid low end punch.

9. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I have had the Denon 3802 for just over a week now. To me the bass control does not affect the sound all that much. It seems to only affect a very narrow band of frequencies centered around 100 hz. I have Paradigm Monitor 7 mains. I was hoping to boost the bass guitar frequencies some for rock music (I leave it flat for everything else), but all it did was make the kick drums a little more prodominant. Didn't seem to affect the bass guitar much at all. Do others seem to have this same effect or is this just me?

10. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I also have the Denon 3300. To me it's kind of dull with the tone in it's default setting. I like it better at the +4 setting. Also the 3300 does let you use the tone and bass controls in DD and DTS mode.