Do you prefer coaxial or optical cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Cruz, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Ryan Cruz

Ryan Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Is one better for music and the other for movies?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Six of one half dozen of another. While true audiophiles have been known to be fiercely loyal to one or the other for average people using average equipment there is no difference. It is simply two different ways to transport the same signal. All else being equal I would take coax over optical simply because the cables are a bit cheaper.

3. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I use 2 optical (ps2, sat) and 1 coax (dvd) and I notice no difference. But i like the optical chords better, they look cooler

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I don't notice any difference. I use coaxial digital where I can, because I want to leave some optical digital connections availabe on my receiver for future components.

5. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

i use optical when i can (you dont have to worry about any shielding problems.

6. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    I use Digital Coax for my DVD connection. It is the preferred connection according to my manual.

7. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Coaxial coz its way cheaper and just feels more durable. Also, if I ever have no use for the digital connection, I can still use it as an analog connector for audio or video.

8. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I use coax on my DVD and optical everywhere else.
    I don't know why I do what I do I just do. [​IMG]

9. Fernand

Fernand Agent

I have both coax and optical. Same brand and everything (Monster). And I don't hear any difference. The difference between the two are subjective, according to experts. So in an nutshell they're saying that's the same thing. The difference it's up to you. [​IMG]

10. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Coax is way cheaper for longer runs. My receiver has one coax input, to which I am planning to connect the S/PDIF output from my computer. This will probably be a 10-15' run, which will cost me about $10 to do myself with coax as opposed to upwards of $60 for optical. Also, in general, RCA connectors are much more durable than the optical connectors.

11. Dan Galyen

Dan Galyen Agent

OK. I'm confused. I have a Pioneer Elite CLD-59 with coaxial digital out and ac-3 rf out. I have always used a separate receiver for my LD player because of the old AC-3 RF coax in for decoding purposes. My new receiver, like most others, does not have the ac-3 rf decoder. I have kept the other receiver, but now have a Sharpvision projector (Xv-H37vua) $600 w/new bulb on eBay [​IMG] and want to use the LD for viewing on big screen.
    Right now, I'm just using basic composite audio in because the CLD-59 does not have optical out. Would there be a significant advantage in using the digital coax out? Is there any decoding ability short of a separate rf demod?

12. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

There is no audible reason to change from coax to optical or optical to coax (unless the coax cable is picking up hum). I prefer coax due to the sturdy connector and cable. I feel the Toslink connector design is an absolute travesty - a pox on Toshiba for developing it! If you fool around behind your equipment with any frequency you are apt to knock the Toslink connector loose from the equipment.
    I use one optical cable for my Dish 6000 STB, if Dish had supplied a coax digital output on the STB I would have dumped the optical cable a long time ago! [​IMG]
    All my other digital interconnects are RhinoCables coax. [​IMG]
    My $.02
    Pete

13. JonDimasi

JonDimasi Auditioning

In theory they will both do the same thing but the construction of the cables are actually quite different. if you use a decent coaz cable you will probably have ample shielding and more importantly have an 8 or 12 cut turnbine connector. this is much better because most springloaded optical connectors are quite flimsy unless you spend 75 dollars plus, a poor connector can cause a lose of imformatation and any info lost will degrade your sound thus in average to medium range cables you are better off going with a 75 ohm dig coax cable

14. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

15. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

I could be wrong on all this, but here's how I understand it:

These are digital signals -- made up, ultimately, of 1s and 0s. A 0 is a 0, and a 1 is a 1. There is no such thing as a "fuzzy" or a "RF interfered" 1 or 0. You either get the signal, or you don't.

Advantage of toslink: receivers tend to have more inputs (CD, DVD, DSS, etc.).

Advantage of coax: sturdier cable and cheaper (especially over long runs, as alluded to previously in this thread).

I have heard some folks vehemently insist one is better than the other, but nothing convincing. Again, I could be wrong, in which case, let me have it.

16. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

17. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

I over-simplified. A LOT goes into reading/sending digitial information (all the 1s and 0s) from wrist watches to super computers. I was under the impression that even the audio signals on DVDs included error correction/detection bits as well (like computers). Ie, if there were errors introduced by the cable it would not be reproduced -- silence.

The fact these are analog signals being interpreted as digital (makes too much sense) would seem to lend the advantage to toslink, as the optical cable would seem less likely to suffer interference from nearby equipment. To combat that effect with coax would require buying higher quality cable, thus negating the cost benefit of coax.

Of course, I'm not certain any of what I'm saying means beans, because like most of the people in this thread, I can't tell the difference between the two...

18. Dan Galyen

Dan Galyen Agent

Thanks, Jim. Are you still getting "discrete" Dolby Digital on your receiver from your CLD-59 with the digital coax? How long have you had it? My old receiver had the AC-3 RF and optical, but no digital coax. I believe my new receiver does have at least 1 digital coax (I wouldn't think H/K would put out a receiver without one.)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the technology a bit. The AC-3 RF was for analog to digital transfer, correct? So since the LDs are digital in nature, the receiver should decode the signal through the digital coax?

I'm gonna be really ticked if I've been neglecting my LD's since I bought this new receiver. I'm going to get the digital coax cable and give it a try.

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

20. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

What kind of optical lengths were you running Lee?