What's new

Do you own this Philips 30" widescreen TV? (1 Viewer)

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm finally able to buy a widescreen TV this year when I get my refund. I found a nice looking Philips 30" widescreen flat-tube TV model#30PW633R at a BestBuy for only $599.99!
If you own this badboy or know anything about it please let me know before I take the plunge. Thanks for any input!

Iver

Second Unit
Personally, I would hold off and save up a little bit more. This TV is 480i only. It doesn't even do 480p.

For the same money, you can get a Samsung EDTV set (TXN3245) that at least has 480p. The 3245 is a 32-inch 4:3 set so with letterboxed 1.85:1 DVD's you'll get about the same screen area as with a 30-inch 16:9 (widescreen) TV.

For about $200 more you can get a 30-inch Samsung HD-ready TV, the TXN3075.

Iver

Second Unit
480i is the standard format with DVD's, broadcast TV, and VHS. It means 480 lines interlaced. What that means is that each of the 30 video frames per second is divided into two fields. The first field, projected onto the screen in the first 1/60th of a second, contains the even-numbered lines (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.). The second field, projected onto the screen in the second 1/60th of a second, contains the odd-numbered lines (1, 3, 5, 7, etc.).

With 480p, which is used with progressive-scan DVD, a full set of 480 lines is projected onto the screen 60 times per second (2 times consecutively for each video frame). The 480p image looks better because it eliminates the visible scan lines which you can see when you look closely at a standard broadcast TV, VHS tape, or interlaced (480i) DVD image.

A widescreen set, even 480i, will still be nice, because you will be able to see 1.85:1 DVD's (widescreen) without having letterbox bands. Keep in mind though, with more extreme widescreen aspect ratios, such as 2.35:1 (such as used in the Lord of the Rings, for example), the widescreen set will still have small letterbox bands, unless it uses some kind of mode that stretches the picture to fill the space.

But I would suggest looking for a deal on a TV that does at least 480p. And full-on HD 1080i resolution is really worth it. Most Circuit City stores now have real 1080i on display so it's not hard to see a demo for yourself.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I just bought the Philips 30pw850h, same as the one you're looking at, but it's HD ready. Meaning, with a box it'll display 1080 interlaced lines of resolution, and it'll also play 480p DVDs from a progressive scan player. It's 900, but BB took 10% off and comcast cable gave me a hundred to sign up with them for HD service. My advice, wait and get an HD set. The cable systems are all being switched over to digital, and the DVD play back is mind numbing.
But, way to go on the philips, for the money, they ROCK.

Kevin G.

Second Unit

I whole heartedly agree. If you can stretch your dollars a bit more it's definetly worth it!!!
I have the same model and am pleased as can be.
good luck

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm...pondering.....pondering.....
30pw850h eh? Let me look it up and see if I like it.
Thanks everyone,I want reg cable tv to look good but I want my dvds to blow everyone away!!!!

Touchdowns everyone.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!!! That is one bad sounding mofo but $599to899$ though...
arrgghh!!! decisions incisions!!!!! At least I still have a few weeks to ponder on this and how much I get back tax wise. (banging head on keyboard)

Keith Outhouse

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the 34" model (HD) about 3 years ago. Big bucks (about $3500) back then. The set is on 18 hours a day and it still works great. HD material is beautiful.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty much sold on the 30pw850h . I just might go to Houston and pick it up this weekend. Its on sale too at BestBuy only 799.99 YEAH BABY!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks