Do you own or lease your Dish equipment?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wade H, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Wade H

Wade H Extra

That is just about the extent of it. Do you lease or own and why? I am considering getting Dish network and would like to know the pro's and con's. Thanks

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    When my one year warranty runs out on my Dishplayer in two weeks, I am going to upgrade the hard drive from an 8GB to a 30GB. Whenever they fix the problem with the receiver purging all of the recorded shows, I will upgrade again. You can't do that with a lease.
    -Robert

3. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    About a year ago I got my dish and receiver for $50 from an online retailer,http://www.thesatelliteguy.com . I believe it is the 4922 with the Dolby digital output. I installed it myself, it was very easy.
    I don't like to lease because over time you end up paying many times over the original price. Plus there are so many deals out there that it doesn't make sense to lease, imho.
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT
    [Edited last by Dave Morton on July 11, 2001 at 08:35 AM]

4. Basil Kazepis

Basil Kazepis Auditioning

Any accountant will tell you leasing in most cases is smarter than buying.
    If you lease, you must keep the service for 12 months. At the end of the 12 months you will be able to get the latest and greatest hardware because you dont own what you have and you can just give it back to dish. If you dont find anything you want that is leasable (hard to believe as most everything would be) then you can choose to buy at that time.
    If you are a hacker and want to modify the equipment then you must buy. Otherwise, leasing is the way to go both for economic reasons and others.
    My two cents.
    Basil

5. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Wade,
    What kind of pricing have you received on leasing?
    If you're a new subscriber purchasing a system is relatively inexpensive ($50 or less as Dave said) and installing yourself is really not that difficult.
    ------------------
    JB
    "This is Chuck reminding Bill to shut up!"

6. Wade H

Wade H Extra

Thanks for the responses, guys. I dont't have the numbers in front of me, but there is like a $49 connection fee that includes the first month of service, and then service tends to be $5 more per month than owning... I think I am going to buy my stuff, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the boat on anything. :)

7. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    2X post sorry. MOD please delete! mega thunderstorn in my area NOW
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

[Edited last by Todd Barattini on July 11, 2001 at 04:41 PM]

8. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I have to ask, Why would you want to lease when they are practically giving these systems away? [​IMG]
    In fact, I heard a radio promo here in my town, for a dish 500, w/ TWO receivers and free installation all for $1.00 w/ a 1 yr subs of course.
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

9. Wade H

Wade H Extra

Todd,
    Like I said, I'm convering my bases. Never had satellite and have done a little research and have decided to purchase. This forum is just one of my tools to get insight as to which direction to go.
    BTW, that sounds like a great deal! Wish I could get that kind of deal here in Georgia! [​IMG]

10. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Todd, that sounds like a lease to me. Usually only the lease plans (named "Digital Home Plans" for DISH Network) include free installation. I've been fervently looking around for THE best deal and none of th purchase plans I've come across include free installation. In fact, I've seen some that say if you even call DISH to have a technician come out to help install it then you will not be able to receive your equipment at a discounted price! You have to install it yourself to get the good deals.
    Still, I'm looking to buy and not lease. I hate having stuff in my house that's tied down to a company.
    Bill
    ------------------

11. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I'm leasing. I got two receivers, one a 501 and the other a 301, free installation, and no activation charges of any sort.
    My total monthly charges are 89.99. I have the Everything pack. Thus I'm paying $10.02 more per month than I normally would. If I owned my equipment, I'd be paying 69.99 for Everything Pack, + 4.99 (locals) + 4.99 (2nd receiver). Not counting the initial investment for the equipment itself of course.
    The reason I chose to lease is because I will probably want to upgrade both of these receivers within a year. For one thing I want a HDTV capable receiver, which I can't afford right now. For another I want a 2 tuner PVR unit. Hopefully in the same box. Maybe in a year that might happen. So for me this lease deal is a bargain, as I have never seen any simular equipment on the market for only $120.24, and I doubt I'd be able to sell year old receivers and make up that much money in the difference.

12. Jeff Beverly

Jeff Beverly Extra

well said DannyR... i made that exact purchase... um... lease for those exact reasons...
    ------------------
    My HT Pics

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My quest for a DSS is over, I too went with DishNetwork' PVR plan with two 501s and Digital 150 for $50/month. I figure this is $10 over buying a second receiver and paying for $40/month for AT150 which is included with the $50/month PVR plan. I was originally intending to go with the buying but I found out that a second receiver I would have to fork out the money for say a 4922 which is $300. I figure the $10/month or $120 per year is good for 2.5 years of buying it and like mentioned already, perhaps I'll have an HDTV in 2.5 years or so... And the 501 seems like a nice unit, at least better than the cheapo receivers in many free equip plans...
    Jay