Do you need to match pre amp to spakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_T_, May 8, 2002.

1. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

I'm now in the market for a new Pre amp processor. I'm replacing my Yamaha RX-V795. When looking for one, do I need to consider my amp (Sherbourn 5/1500a) and speakers (Paradigm Sudio 100's, CC)? I've seen that certain receivers seem to be a better match with particular equipment, is the same true with Pre Amps? My budget is hard to figure out right now, I'd like to stay under $2 G's..

Thanks!

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I think matching is very important, and not necessarily by brand. The first thing I would do it try to determine the characteristics you feel your setup has that you like. Do you feel that this combination leans toward the bright or warm side? Do you like warmer, or do you like brighter, or somewhere in the middle? IMO, second to the speakers, the pre/pro you chose will have the next biggest effect on the sound. Audtioning several different brands is a must.

3. Mike_T_

My biggest problem is that the few high end stores around here carry only certain brands which would really limit what I can audition in home. My Paradigm's can lean towards bright sound at times, however I feel this is more the Yamaha than anything else. I would want to lean towards something a bit warmer than what I have going now.

4. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I would take a look at the B&K Reference 30. I know online it can be had for around $2000 or maybe a little under. IMO, it would be a good match with the Paradigm's.

5. Mike_T_

I'd love that B&K, I'm just wondering how much it "outperforms" the newer less expensive models like the Outlaw and Rotel. Would it be worth close to $1000 more?