What's new

Do you need an iPod to listen to podcasts? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Chris, my company was doing that for IBM back in the late 90's. They'd have a live seminar, we'd record it, then provide it online for those who missed the seminar.

They used to be called "Web Replays". Again, that's why I was a bit confused because it only really seems like the name has changed.

Actually, I think the real thing has to do with all the 'new' people who are getting into computers...they aren't familiar with what was around in the early days. Now, all of a sudden, the web makers are finding new ways to repackage old ideas and sell it to the newbies.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just find it funny. It's like everyone has somehow stumbled onto this new/hip thing.

But of course, all of us older tech-geeks here ;) have known about this stuff back in 'the day'. :D

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Out of curiosity, how large do podcast files tend to be?

There are a few podcasts out there that I wouldn't mind checking out, but I don't have the luxury of broadband at my house. It would probably take me a week to dowload one. :D

Oh the joys of living in the stone age...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adam nailed it: the improved ease of use is the "killer app" of Podcasting. And I'll add that the aggregation and automatic management features take them from mere sound files to a new way of listening to audio programming.

The big deal for me is the wonderfully integrated system iTunes provides. Online is a simple directory of Podcasts. And better than manual downloads, I can subscribe and iTunes gets new files for me. With smart playlists, I have a current list of Podcasts I've not yet listened to on my iPod. I just have to synch my iPod periodically and I always have current, new PodCasts. Fantastic! :)

Mike Slade

Second Unit

Not sure about how they all are but, The Ricky Gervais Show, which runs about 30 minutes, is about a 14MB file. The bit rate is 56kbps.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Since the formats and bitrates vary, obviously the size will as well. I code the feed and manage the files for a podcast (http://www.onyourplate.net : if you dare!) and we tend to run ~20 MB an episode, with a 20 minute runtime at 128 kb/sec. Battlestar Galactica commentaries by contrast run around the same files size with a 43 minute runtime at 56 kb/sec. Basically, if a file can be enclosed in a feed, it's up to the encoder for all of the particulars.

Anything over 20 MB tends to be problematic if you put out new episodes regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.