What's new

Do you need an iPod to listen to podcasts? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
The answer is probably an obvious one, but I seriously don't know anything about this. There are some podcasts that sound like they would be fun to listen to, but I don't know if I could just download them without having an iPod.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

It's confusing for me, really.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
An iPod is not necessary. Any DAP (Digital Audio Player) or computer will do the trick.

Adam

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I pretty much listen to all of my podcasts on my computer. As long as you have a ability to listen to MP3s, you should be fine.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I've taken to listenting to my favorite Podcasts (via iPod mini) regularly during my daily commute.

However, if something new comes up during the work day, I've been know to download the MP3 at work, then convert/burn an Audio CD for evening homebound listening in the car. What's a blank CD-R cost now, a nickel?

For all your HTF'fers out there, I strongly recommend the Engadget Podcast (posted weekly, usually on Tuesday afternoons). This is my #1 required listening.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

It depends. Some websites (for radio shows, for instance) make their podcasts available only to subscribers. And some are pay-per-download. So while many podcasts are free, not all are.

Regards,

Joe

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i figured he was talking about itunes podcasts, since he asked about having an ipod, and not specific podcasts. i'd say most podcasts are free, not just many.

CJ

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Podcast is an unfortunate choice of name, since it seems many people think an ipod is required.

There's really nothing new about it- it's just a downloadable audio file.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Just about all Podcasts use .MP3 format for their audio files. The reason is simple: most non-Apple portable music players can't play Apple's encrypted AAC format files, while iPod's can't play DRM-protected .WMA files.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I thought so as well. But apparently the possibility to listen to such a file on the go is what made the concept take off in the last couple of years? Weird, no?

I mean, the capability to record stuff, encode it to mp3 and publish it on the web has been available to just about every internet subscriber for years, yet it seems it only became fashionnable with the advent of DAPs? What was preventing people from listening to the stuff at their desks?

--
H

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
actually, not only is the 'pod' part of podcast misleading, but so is the 'cast', since nothing is being broadcast. sort of the opposite.

i guess because the preferred format to listen to a podcast is on the go, so the idea never really took off before popular mobile players.

CJ

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Podcasting may be just be "downloaded digital files", but it's a great new thing to me! I catch up on news at home or the gym, wearing my nano as I take care of mundane tasks. And I just got the FM transmitter for my, if I want to listen on the road.

So many podcasts, so little time :)

Are the iTunes podcasts in MP3 format? I assumed they were AAC, but haven't checked.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - This is funny because I just started listening to Podasts today. I thought it was this neato/new thing, but when I downloaded the file, I was like WTF? It's just an MP3???
:confused:

It's amazing how you slap a new term onto an old concept and it's all of a sudden this 'neat / hip / new' thing.

HEY! I've got this idea...it's called iTape, you record stuff onto this casette tape and you can bring it along with you by playing it on this portable iTape player! :D:emoji_thumbsup:

patent pending! patent pending! patent pending!

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Yeah, I still don't understand the buzz surrounding 'blogs'. I guess it's all about reinvention and packaging.

BTW, I'm loving my new, black, 60gb iPod video. I just don't use it for recorded chats.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
yeah i dont understand the blog fascination either. however, there are quite a few podcasts i find pretty entertaining.

CJ

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What makes a podcast something new and different is that couples media files (MP3s, video files) with RSS feeds. If you have a reader, you don't have to worry about finding each MP3 file; the program takes care of it for you.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I listen to a lot of teleseminars, which are phone conference calls that are usually recorded and posted online as mp3s for those who didn't make the live call or want to listen again.

I've been doing that for years- that's why I say this is nothing new, just the name. This type of recording could be called a podcast.

I listen to them on my PC while I'm working.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.