What's new

Do you like LaCrosse? Eh? (1 Viewer)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
from yahoo....

MAKUHARI, Japan (Reuters) - General Motors Corp will rename its Buick LaCrosse in Canada because the name for the car is slang for masturbation in Quebec, embarrassed officials with the U.S. automaker said on Thursday.

GM officials, who declined to be named, said it had been unaware that LaCrosse was a term for self-gratification among teenagers in French-speaking Quebec.

GM officials in Canada are working on a new name for the car, a sedan that will go on sale next year to replace the Buick Regal.

The mix-up is reminiscent of another GM vehicle with an unfortunate name. In the 1970s, GM exported its Chevrolet Nova to Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries, only to be told that Nova translated into "doesn't go". Despite the name, and contrary to popular folklore, the car sold well.

They come up with names for everything, huh?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Then, of course, there's George Carlin's definition which I would mention but I'm not going to risk getting my HTF account closed. :D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
But you could always get your crank reground and stroke it yourself. IIRC Buick engines are oversquare, i.e. the bore is bigger than the stroke from the factory.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Another unfortunate naming incident is with Toyota's MR2...

When said in french, it is said as "em erre deux", which sounds like "merde" which means "shit".... They dont even sell that car in canada.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That's OK, the GM/Toyota joint venture around here is called "NUMMI" www.nummi.com which always makes it sound like their cars should taste good.

The odd thing is that Fiat and Alfa really ARE acronyms, but only the oldest motorheads recall what they stand for.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Really? La Crosse, WI is just 100 miles from where I live. There's also La Crosse boots. I wonder if someone is funnin' us?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
argh, i have a 'joke' about this topic that would almost certainly get me banned from the htf :frowning: well i gotta tell SOMEONE, off to the yahoo message boards! damn you htf for being a respectable place! :)

CJ

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Didn't they change the name of Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me in the Uk because it pretty much meant the spy who f***ed me? I heard in Sweden the English translation of the new name was the Spy Who Nailed Me. :laugh:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why would they change the name when that's exactly the point of having that title? "Shagged" has no meaning that I know of outside the Brit slang meaning. :confused:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Most of the embarrassment about those faulty names is a bit farfetched as well, IMO. I mean "crab" sounds also like "crap" (in the same language!) and I cannot translate here what "cut" sounds like in my language ("to go - went - gone", "to cut - cut - cut": whole classroom of 12-year olds in a roar). Before WWII we had a minister (= secretary of state) named Prick van Whely (last part pronounced "Whaley") and our previous PM's name was "Kok" (original meaning: cook).

And so what?

Cees

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Do they play Lacrosse in Canada? Imagine a promo on EPSN for that? :D "Coming up next...the Masturbation finals"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks