What's new

Do you let strangers know about items on sale that... (1 Viewer)

RichardK

Second Unit
you see in their cart or basket? I did this yesterday while in line at Fry's. I had been looking for a cable for my Ipod and had stopped at Target first since I had to return something there. As usual Target had the new releases on sale for 15.99 (i,robot, collateral) and ROTK:EE was 24.99. None of which i purchaed BTW.

I didnt see the cable I wanted at Target so i went to Frys. Found the cable, got in line and behind me was a mother&daughter with a basket full of DVDs, including the three I mentioned earlier. I asked if they were on sale here, they said no. I proceeded to tell them that i was just at Target and i saw all three DVDs on sale and in stock of course. They were put off by it at first since they did have other movies in their basket that were just generic 9.99 flicks so their shopping wasn't just for i,robot etc.

In the end the lady decided to put back the 3 DVD and go to Target. In hindsight i should have thought to have her ask Frys to price match (not sure if they do or not). I have only done this a few times in the past, does anyone else do this?

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I usually just keep it to myself. I've tried to help people in the past, some are appreciative, some will tell you to go 'f' yourself. Its not worth it anymore on the off-chance you get one of the laters. Maybe living in a bigger city has jaded me and I need to move back to the farm.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit

The ones who hostile usually take it as an affront to them. The little conversation that happens in their heads goes something like this: "What, this person thinks I'm too stupid to know where to get things at a better price? I *choose* to pay the higher price because it is convenient for *me*."

Meanwhile if they had previously known where to get the item at the cheaper price, they would drive half-way across the state (and pay more for the gas to get there than the discount would save them) to get it because it was *their* idea.

This just reaffirms my theory that people are stupid.

-Mike

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Similarly, I was at the mall and they have this GIANT sports store (the kind with all the kick-knack things with sports logos on them), but I was in this Hall-mark type store that had a few sports related items....These girls come in and are like "Is this all the sports stuff?" - I wanted to tell them about the big sports store, but I was afraid of getting a bad reaction from them, so I left it alone.

It does suck that there are rude people out there, so much so that you are afraid of helping others out.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I usually mind my own business if the item is cheaper elsewhere, but if it seems someone is unaware of a coupon or special purchase I might pipe in. The one that comes to mind is when CostCo was having the 20.00 off the Alien Quad last year and the signage was not apparent. For anyone who seemed to be debating whether to get it pointed out the sale...not that I was hanging out there all day hawking Alien Quads.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The only time I've ever done this was a few weeks ago while I was waiting in the customer disservice line at Toys (cute backwards R) Us. A lady came in to pick up her pre-ordered copy of Spider-Man 2 but all they had were the full frame discs and she wanted widescreen. Well, how could I resist helping another OAR lover so I told her that Target next door had the WS discs for 5 bucks cheaper. But normally, no, I wouldn't butt in.

Chris Derby

Second Unit

I did this last week at Costco. There is an unadvertised $175 discount applied at the register for the Infocus Screenplay 4805 + 76in screen.

If you're interested, this discount should be good until the 31st. =)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Wow, it seems like I'm in the minority. I almost always let let people know of the better price. I also let people know where an out-of-stock item can be found. The exception would be if they have that arrogant "don't bother me" look.

On the other hand - and I know this is going to get me in trouble here - I never mention widescreem/full frame unless they ask (talking to themselves counts though).

RichardK

Second Unit
update to my original story. i told someone yesterday at Target about the 14.97 , 22.99 deals for the movies going at Walmart

I also tell folks were to find an out of stock item when applicable... or let them know where to find something USED and in good condition, heck i'll even tell them where to find it online if i know it will save them 20% or more.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I was in a local Good Guys store to buy a small item--they don't have checkout counters, you have to get a salesman's attention and get rung up at one of their terminals scattered around the store.

I was standing near one of these terminals with my item in hand. A salesperson was dealing with a nice couple and had entered a Mitsubishi Diamond RPTV, nice dvd player, and one of the $2800 Bose systems on his screen. The husband was trying to haggle down the price on the Mits set, at the point of walking out if the salesman didn't budge another $300 or so. I politely asked if I could make a suggestion, pointed to the screen, and said "instead of this $2800 Bose audio system, why not get a nice Yamaha receiver and an Energy Take 5.2 speaker system--it'll sound better, the speakers will match the piano finish on the Mitsubishi tv, and it will cost only about $1200 instead of $2800, a lot more than you're trying to shave off the price of the tv," The couple looked at the salesman, who said "some of the hardcore audio guys would agree that that would sound better" and led them off to look at Yamahas and Energys.

I realy felt I'd overstepped by a longshot, and was a bit apprehensive about the whole encounter. I returned a couple of days later and the salesman saw me and thanked me--instead of walking out the couple had made their purchase.

I've never done that again, just don't want to ruin a hardworking sales guys day if it turns out wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks