1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you leave your speaker grills on?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Evan:R, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Evan:R

Evan:R Agent

I love how my Axiom M50ti's look without their grills on, but can't help but worry about the drivers. Do y'all prefer your speakers with or without their grills? And is it an appearance thing, or is it to prevent the little ones from hiding toys in the ports/poking the highly pokable drivers?

2. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I leave the grills off my speakers.

They can offer some protection, looks, some say alter the sound (My ears have never heard this).

3. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

My maggies would look awfully funny naked!!

4. ChrisPATT

ChrisPATT Stunt Coordinator

I was under the impression that speakers are made and designed to have the covers on. I suppose though on some speakers the sound difference might not be noticeable. I personally am more interested in how my speakers sound, then how they look.

5. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Yes

6. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

I was under the impression that speakers are made and designed to have the covers on. I suppose though on some speakers the sound difference might not be noticeable. I personally am more interested in how my speakers sound, then how they look.

This may be the case for some speakers, but it is certainly not a rule. There are speakers designed to be used grills off.

I personally love the looks of my Kef Q35.2 s with grills off, and to me they sound a bit better too... But there are other factors such as the dog's hair, dust, smoke in the room, etc... So it may not always be only a sound issue for everyone.

7. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I leave the grills on for protection purposes. If my dog did anything to those speakers I would be upset at myself for not protecting them. I notice no difference with them on or off.......I think you would have to do some insane critical listening to notice a difference. I have'nt heard every speaker in the world though so I don't know [​IMG].

8. ChrisPATT

ChrisPATT Stunt Coordinator

While I like the look of speakers, leaving the grills always off just seems wrong...

I own paradigms, and according to them...

...(Paradigm)speakers are designed with low-diffraction grills that minimize interference from enclosure edges. These grills also incorporate a Controlled Waveguide™ to ensure superior wide-dispersion uniformity. As such, they are meant to be played with grills on.

I always figured that most decent speakers makers would take into account the grills...

9. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I like my grills off. I think the sound is better. You don't have nothing in front of it to divert the sound. Even though they say it does nothing to alter the sound. They just look better. But like many, I have a little one so they are on most of the time.

10. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

FWIW Paradigm Monitor v2 grills were designed to reduce diffraction of sound from the front baffle and as mentioned before are meant to be played with the grills on. The v3 Monitors were redesigned to be played with the grills on or off.

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I always leave them on until I'm ready for a "serious listening" session.

(But they go right back on when I'm done... no kids, one fortunately disinterested cat, but I'm paranoid about damage, dust, etc.)

12. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The grilles can affect the high frequency response of the tweeter in some cases.

Even with thin cloth and anti-diffraction design, the FR is different - at least with my Polk RT800i speakers, which employ a tri-lam dome tweet.

I've run FR sweeps to 20kHz with the mic at the seat with the grilles on vs. off, and the curves are slightly different, with a divergence starting somewhere around 6kHz, IIRC.

I can hear a "slight" difference - treble is more 3D, open, detailed, and airy with the grilles off.

Regards,

Ed

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I only take them off for critical listening in my main setup (GR Research A/V-2s). With my previous v2 Monitor 5s, they sounded better to me with the grills off, but I also left them on 90% of the time.

My Mordaunt Short 902s, in my bedroom setup, stay on all the time, though they look very nice with them off. The grills are designed so well they make almost no difference on or off.

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

John,

The grills were never on when they were in my house! Well, except to take a few pics! [​IMG]

15. John Garcia

John
    I get a lot of dust, so I leave them on. With causual listening and with movies, I just leave them on. I like the look with them off though [​IMG] When I sit down with some SACDs or favorite music DVDs, or if someone comes over to audition the speakers (which has actually been happening often lateley [​IMG] ), I take them off.

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

John,

Don't be surprised if the color of the veneer behind the grill darkens more slowly than the veneer that's not covered. [​IMG]

17. John Garcia

John
    I hadn't thought of that. I may start leaving the grill of the center off, since it is just starting to darken up a bit [​IMG]. I may have to rotate the other two also, since one of them gets some sun and the other doesn't.

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

It was apparently a common problem years ago when many speakers used real wood veneers. Probably long before we had all this vinyl wrapped crap. [​IMG]

P.S. That's the vinyl being crap, not the speakers themselves.

19. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I have Paradigm v3’s and I have done extensive listening with both on and off, I have read what Paradigm says about the grills, but I can not tell the difference with them on or off. That is just me though.

20. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I leave mine on except with certain albums that need a little added high frequency boost...or depending on my mood.