Do you leave your components on all the time or turn them off when not in use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Sylvester, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

Just a general question that's probably been asked a zillion times. I usually leave everything turned on whether I'm using it or not so it stays warmed up. I use my setup for DVDs, LDs, TV, and gaming on a daily basis though.

What about you? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to leaving everything on?

2. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I leave my subwoofer on all the time, but I make sure to turn everything else off, especially the receiver. I just don't want it staying warm wasting electricity through the night. But technically, most components are never actually turned off unless they have a hard switch. VCRs will still record on schedule, receivers retain their settings, etc.
    With computers, it's best to leave them on to avoid the power surge when powering it up.
    A few items,
    Advantages:
    -Save physical energy by not pressing the power button on components [​IMG]
    Disadvantages:
    -Higher electricty bill by a dollar or so per year
    -While heat buildup won't be a problem since the components aren't in use, I think prolonged standby status probably chips away at a unit's 'mean hours till failure' thing
    -For certain types of displays, there may be problems with burn-in
    Mainly, it's just preference. I'd find it eerie if I came down for a glass of water during the night and found all of my electronics glowing and whatnot.

3. Jim Mc

Jim Mc Agent

All the gear gets powered down when not in use. Except the sub. (Because it is not remote controlled and if I turned it off others would not think to turn it on.)

My projector has about a 2 minute warm up but other than that I don't see any need to warm up the gear. THe PJ is usually up to speed by the time the DVD reaches the menu.

4. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

I turn everything off including the sub woofer which is on a light switch.

I turn the computer off because I do not want to wear out the fan and other moving parts, if you are worried about a power surge everytime you turn it on you should also have a fallout shelter and personal lightning insurance :)

5. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

due to me not paying for electricity explicitly (its part of my housing bill in college) i tend to leave things on as long as i dont feel like they will be hurt by it...

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

My $ .02 - - (It ain't worth much)

Many, many moons ago, (like in the '50's) every piece of electronic gear had vacuum tubes. They required a warm-up time to get to their proper operating temperature.

These were replaced by transistors, and then IC's like we have today. One advantage was that because of their size, they required no warm up time at all (I'm probably going to get flamed for that).

Having said that, stop wasting the juice!!!! Last night my A/V reciever bit it. I've had it a little less than 5 years, but as I am home 24/7, it gets more use than usual.

Any part is going to have a failure point. As stated above, computer hard drives are (in)famous for their MTBF - or Mean Time Between Failures. What they did was to calculate how long it would take for the weakest part of the drive to fail.

Electric gear is no different. If a company 'invents' a receiver and leaves it on for 24/7 and it breaks down just after one year, they'll give it a one-year warranty.

Think about it.

Glenn

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I power everything down. Why waste the energy?
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Ron-P says it in a nutshell! That's all the reason anybody needs!

9. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

On all the time.

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Perhaps I shouldn't worry so much. I generally turn everything off, but forget often to turn off the subwoofer. It doesn't work into the obvious power-down pattern of the other devices.

11. Jay Sylvester

12. Jay Sylvester