Do you leave your amplifiers on all the time?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill_D, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Specifically, I just picked up an Adcom for my 2-channel setup. It does not have a 12v trigger or a 1/8 mini plug for auto turn-on. Basically, I have to physically turn it on and off. The unit is designed such that when power is absent the unit turns off so I cannot leave the power button in the on position and run it through my conditioner with delayed on/off timing.

Do any of you leave with similar set-ups leave your amps on?

2. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

My NAD is the same but I use a panamax power conditioner with a tiggered outlet. It works very well for me but you have to fork over $300. Although you do get the power conditioner and surge protection. Seemed to me to be a better solution then leaving it on all the time.

Matt

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Matt,

I don't think you understand. If you cut the power the Adcom, it is off. I have a triggering power conditioner. And all it does is allow power to go to the unit when set up. I still have to physically push the power button.

I guess the best way to clarify is to say that that there is no on/off switch or position on the unit. The same push button switch turns the unit on and off alternatively.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Do amps (or receivers) actually burn a significant ammount of electricity when left on? I have three in my HT and they stay on 24/7.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I leave my 5-channel amp on all the time (unless I'm swapping around speaker cables, then I turn off the amp).

6. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I don't know about power consumption at idle for amps and receivers but I leave my DirecTV receiver on all the time and at times I believe you could cook on it.

I believe I will leave the amp on all weekend and check it for any problems. Otherwise, I will have to get off my lazy and push the button.

7. Blaine_S

Blaine_S Auditioning

Carl wrote: "Do amps (or receivers) actually burn a significant ammount of electricity when left on?"

Yes and no. Some digital amps (PS Audio, Spectron, Bel Canto) take very little power where tube amps and solid state class A amps can take a kilowatt or more. A small solid state class A/B amp won't take much more than a couple hundred watts but check in your owners manual.

-Blaine

8. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I don't. My main amp will draw about 190 watts idling. That's like leaving two 100 watt light bulbs on all the time.

Martin.

9. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

I owned an Adcom GFA-5503 and it ran pretty warm when it was left on.I now own a couple of Rotel amps.I like to leave them on.I have a small place though and during the summer those amps heat the room up too much, so I turn them off when not in use during the summer months.

10. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

I do not leave my amplifier or receiver on all the time. I have the amp hooked up with a 9 volt trigger such that when the receiver turns on, so does the amp. The amp by itself draws about 110W, thus about $95 Cdn./year if left on 24/7. I do, however, turn the system on at least 10 minutes before I am going to do any listening.

11. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I leave my SS gear on 24/7 and turn off my tube gear when not in use (unless I know I'll be using it again in a few hours).

-mike...

12. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

I turn my tube amp off when not in use.

Larry

13. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

I get it now. Your Adcom has a momentary power switch! I thought it would be like my NAD where I can push the button and it stays in and you could unplug and plug in the cord and it would still come on. This presents a whole new angle! I'm sorry I read, but did not comprehend.:b Well I guess you would have to leave it on, I don't leave mine on but it does get warm at idle I would say rough guess 30-50 watts. They didn't leave you many options did they?

Matt

14. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I actually emailed Rotel about this question in regards to my RMB-1066. The Tech(Tim) told me it draws about the same as a 100w bulb when idle. So I asked him if it is better to leave it on so as the caps and everything stays charged(warmed) up. He personally turns his off.

Kevin

15. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

I use a Monster 5000 to trigger my Parasound amp on.

16. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

In your case there is no problem with leaving it on.

-rob

17. ChrisJJ

ChrisJJ Agent

The fact that the power switch is logical rather than manual implies it is probably just switching a relay in the unit. I bet if you are reasonably handy with a soldering iron, screwdriver and voltmeter you could track down the logic of the switch and where the relay is/how it works.

Most likely there is a DC line coming from the power supply (probably 5V or 12V) though the power switch to a relay. If you can understand the logic of how that relay gets switched (always on current, or pulse current on then second pulse current off, etc.) then you could probably hack a way to add a DC trigger jack to the Adcom.

Good luck! Maybe the DIY section might have some advice?

To answer your question, I power my amps off, but they are switched. I'm lazy enough, I would probably leave it on, but it would irk me enough to eventually get creative with my soldering iron.

Leaving it on shouldn't damage the equipment and some might say leaving it on is better, the components stay warm and less wear and tear for the equipment. Probably costs more in energy than the damage from switching, but...

18. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the responses. Right now I leave it on. It idles slightly warm to the touch and I will check my power bill when it comes. It will be tough to judge though because temperatures have cooled to hot and not blistering and the AC isn't working 24/7 anymore.

19. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Deleted.

20. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor