What's new

Do you know enough about the US to become a citizen? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at the INS site, and found this quiz, which consists of the questions you would be asked if you apply for US citizenship. How much do you know? Sadly, I got about 3/5 right on each screen (5 questions are randomly generated each time)
Link Removed
/Mike

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
I did it about 7 times and managed to get them all right.
It would be intersting to see how teens in public schools would do.

Greg

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I did it about 6 times and missed 3. I didn't know Preamble, the 7th Amendment answer, or Senators have no limit on terms(I thought it might of been Reps). I would of done a lot worse if someone asked me those questions and I had to give an answer but since it was multiple choice it wasn't hard.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
5/5 as well.
1) How many states are there in the US?
2) Who was the 1st Pres. of the US?
3) What is the name of the ship that brought the Pilgrims?
4) What year was the Constitution written?
5) What is the first part of the Constitution called?
The first two I are incredibly easy. The third someone might not know if they didn't pay attention to a history lesson, except for the fact that there are tons of jokes about the subject as well to remind people.
#4 is probably the hardest, with plenty of people probably putting in 1776 before really thinking about things. If they had had another 17XX date other than the correct one, I might have missed this as well, but the rest were 1800 numbers.
Likewise #5 might trip up people who put in the Bill of Rights without thinking. (Lord help those who answered Declaration of Independence or Articles of Confederation)
or Senators have no limit on terms(I thought it might of been Reps). Neither have limits at the federal level. Some states passed limits, but I believe the Supremes overturned the law as unconstitutional. Harder question: What percentage of US Senators and US Representative seats are up for re-election every 2 years? 33% (6 year terms) and 100% (2 year terms)
I went through about 30 tests, and the only question that I had absolutely no clue on was:
What INS form is used to apply to become a naturalized citizen?
However I did guess the right answer ;)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm Canadian too, and I took the test four times, 100% each time. Though I don't think the questions are that hard.

cheers!

Josh

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The questions aren't that hard, but some about congress vs president vs senate tripped me up. I think I'd do even worse if asked without multiple choice (which seems to be the case when you apply for citizenship).

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I'm a teen in highschool, I took this We The People course, a huge study of the consitution and there is a competition where you go and read speeches that you wrote and answer follow up questions against other schools. A really good course, anybody still in highschool should take it if you can.

O yeah I got a 5/5.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
5/5, several in a row. Whew!;)
What year was the Constitution written?
I didn't get asked this. What was the answer? IIRC, it was written in 1787, ratified by all 13 colonies in 1789.
Edit- that isn't right- it wasn't "fully" ratified until 1791, when Vermont (14th state) did so. I forgot that Vermont wasn't a colony (part of New York). Oh, the humanity!:b
Todd

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm, 3/5... not bad for a 16 year old going to a public school in canada eh? :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've been through 10 different rounds of the 5 questions, and got them all correct. My Amercian history teacher in high school would be so proud...

CharlesD

Screenwriter
well I got 30/30 correct. Mind you I did OK when I took the test for real. The INS officer told me "you know more about this country than most people who were born here" :)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well, I went through it about 8 times and got them all right. Its pretty easy, but then again I'm an informed American and not somebody trying to become one :)

The only one I had to guess on (but lucked into the right answer) is:
What INS form is used to apply to become a naturalized citizen?
-Marshall

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone else think that the questions about the colors of the flag and what year so and so happened are rather irrelevant? I'd rather see questions like "If someone says "What's up?", what do you answer?" :D
/Mike

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
what president freed the slaves?....they're talking about the emancipation proclamation correct?....well that didn't free all the slaves....i'm pretty sure that the slaves in the border states were not affected by it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks