What's new

Do you invariably associate a studio logo/theme with a particular movie? (3 Viewers)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Whenever I see the MGM lion logo I always picture Bob and Doug McKenzie standing behind there cranking the lion's tail to get him to roar. Strange Brew may not be the greatest film in MGM history, but I liked it.

Of course, I also always hope that Benny Hill is coming on when I see the Thames logo, too... so make your own decisions about the quality of my tastes. :D

Brad

John H Ross

Screenwriter

No it wasn't. But it was certainly influenced by RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II and uses the same 5-note theme in the middle. FYI Goldsmith also wrote the fanfares for Cinergi, C2 Pictures and Universal (1997). Oh and "Oscar" of course! :)

For those that were asking, here's a full list of who composed which logo and when:

http://soundtrack.net/logomusic/index.html

John

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
Sixties/seventies UA when they were owned by Transamerica and we had the Blue T Flower logo.

Blue T Flower = Diamonds are Forever

It annoys me when studios release films with the current logo (which is the vast majority of the time). Why can't they leave the original in place??!! Films from the 60s and 70s often get broadcast on UK television with the original logo intact; if there were rights issues of some kind they would have been changed.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Fox = Star Wars
New Line = Equal parts Austin Powers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
United Artists = James Bond
Old Universal = Jaws
Columbia - Ghostbusters
Warner Brothers = Batman
Warner Brother Television = Friends

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit

What I find really irritating is when logos of long-defunct distributors disappear, as with some AVCO Embassy and Allied Artists releases. The absence of the original logo violates my own memory and is disrespectful of the film's history.

I liken it to those old "official" Soviet photos where they airbrush out party leaders who have fallen out of favor. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I really respect Universal for adding their new logo at the beginning, but then going to the logo that originally started the movie. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tiago_J

Stunt Coordinator
Short Fox: Alien
Long Fox: Star Wars
Warner Bros. / Village Roadshow: The Matrix
Sony/Columbia: Spider-Man
RKO: King Kong, definitely.
New Line: for some reason, Seven.
Carolco: T2
Orion: The Terminator
Old Paramount: Indy
Dreamworks: CGI animation
HBO: The Sopranos
Castle Rock: Seinfeld, no doubt
MGM: epic movies from the 50's

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Nothing new or original here, but I dig this thread. I've always wondered if other people associated logos/themes with certain films, and I have my answer. :)

New Line = Blade
Fox = Star Wars
New style Warner (but without "As Time Goes By") = Lethal Weapon 4 (sorry :D)
United Artists (in whatever guise) = Bond
Orion = Robocop
Carolco = T2
Rank = Carry On

And whenever I see the production credit that follows Steven Bochco's TV shows it always takes me back to one show in particular: the great NYPD Blue.

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
In my mind, the New Line logo is inseperably connected with "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
It still does to me -- we're a little slow and only getting the final season now.

In a similar vein, the Bruckheimer logo at the end of a TV show means any of the CSIs, whilst John Wells used to mean ER but now concurrently includes West Wing.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

Brett_B, if you look back to post 20 in this thread, you'll find that the extension came about in the 1950s due to CinemaScope, and that 'Star Wars' re-introduced it. The version used for 'Star Wars' was the 1954 recording, while 'The Empire Strikes Back' onwards used a new recording by John Williams (which I don't recall ever hearing outside of the Star Wars films).

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
The old flashy, red-and-black New Line logo was all about Freddy. I probably watched the first Elm Street film 100 times at various sleepovers and junior high parties.

Every time I hear Columbia's logo music, I start singing the rave riff at the end from "Go," which is one of my favorite movies from the 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks