What's new

Do you invariably associate a studio logo/theme with a particular movie? (2 Viewers)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I associate Paramount with the Indiana Jones franchise if only for the way they merge the logo with the first frame of the film.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
TO me it means Bond.

Fox = Star Wars is a given.

HBO evokes equally Sex And The City and The Sopranos, although recently it meant Rome; since Rome isn't on DVD yet I guess it hasn't really "taken root" but once it comes out, it'll get a fair bit of viewing and I think the association will really since in then. For a similar reason, Warner's current logo and theme means The West Wing.

ITC = Space 1999 is a real blast from the past.

More obscure references: London Weekend Television to me means Mind Your Language. The Thames logo, though, is too ubiquitous to have any concrete association.

If we consider logos that appear at the end, which I know isn't the same thing (especially if you've just watched the show in question!) the name Glen A. Larson would reference the original BSG, whilst nowadays Bellisario to me evokes NCIS (I've been watching a lot of it recently). Curiously, Frementle Media tends to remind me of Jamie Oliver, rather than the more obvious American Idol. And Dick Wolf, well, pretty damn obvious what franchise(s) that means.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Fox = Star Wars. Heck they're on the same soundtrack album together.
Warner Bros. (40's)= Casablanca
Warner Bros. (mid 70's) = Superman
Warner Bros. (80's-90's) = Batman
Paramount = Star Trek
United Artists (mid 90s plaster) also MGM = James Bond
Columbia (70's) = Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Columbia (90's) = Spiderman

Tv licensies
London Weekend = Upstairs Downstairs
ITC (70's) = UFO, Space 1999, Hammer House of Horror
ITC (80's) = The Prisoner
Screen Gems = Bewitched, I Dream of Genie

paul_austin

Second Unit
I miss the old "UA" logo from 70's Bond and Pink Panther films and having the new MGM logo on them sucks ass

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only person who found the music to the original early 80s’ UA logo creepy? Those creepy piano keys now remind me of the ad campaign for EWS!

The mid-90s’ UA logo triggers Showgirls for me.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
When I was a kid, the black and white Columbia Pictures opening/logo usually meant that the Three Stooges would soon follow.

I always hoped it would be one with Curly. :wink:

This was a great idea for a thread. :emoji_thumbsup:

PS Even thought they were TV series and not movies, how about the MTM kitty? Remember the Hill Street Blues and St. Elswhere cats? Ah, the memories...

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

Same here, having grown up in the Thames/LWT franchise area. For me, the LWT ident always says "it's the weekend" to me, as LWT (London Weekend Television) took over from Thames at 7pm on a Friday night.

Some other old ITV regional idents do put me in mind of certain shows, however:

Yorkshire: 3-2-1
HTV: Robin of Sherwood

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Are there any websites that anyone knows of where you can see/hear older studio logos/themes?

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
For me:

New Line logo = Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Universal = Back to the Future.

Dreamworks = Steven Spielberg films.

Carolco = T2.

Castle Rock = The Shawshank Redemption.

Fox = Star Wars.

Paramount = Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Warner Brothers = West Wing.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Well,

For me, the Fox logo/fanfare will ALWAYS mean Star Wars.

Really, the only other ones that stand out for me are:

- Morgan Creek = Robin Hood

- Orion = The Three Amigos! (Every time those stars start to spin, I hear, "One for each other, and all for one -- the three brave Amigos are we...!")

wally

Second Unit
The stars flying onto Mt. Paramount with the Top Gun theme underneath gives me the need for speed. Great title sequence!

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
When I see the Fox logo I often think of Star Wars. When the fox fanfare is used I ALWAYS feel like the Lucasfilm logo is coming up. It just feels natural.

I also often associate the WB logo with Batman.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I miss the 1970s Universal globe logo (Airport, Jaws). I grew up watching classic films on TV and my pulse still races when I hear Max Steiner's classic Warner Bros. theme with the shield in front and center- it meant we were going to get real entertaiment from the Warner stable of stars (Davis/Bogart/Flynn/Cagney/Robinson/Lupino/Rains/Garfield/Sheridan/Muni/Raft/Francis). I do love that the current WB theatrical logo acknowledges its rich past with As Time Goes By, but NOTHING can top those opening notes Mr. Steiner made for those great Warner classics ( Casablanca, Dark Victory, White Heat, The Sea Hawk etc.)

But my all-time favorite is the Selznick International logo- another Steiner theme with the camera panning down from the signpost to the exterior of the old Ince studios that served as David O. Selznick's headquarters. That opening theme would magically segue into the theme of the film to follow, or so it seemed to me. GWTW is the best example of this: it was also scored by Max Steiner, so the segue from the Selznick theme into the opening is nothing less than brilliant- he uses the next minute or two by using snatches of themes from the film to build excitement as the opening credits (announcing the MGM release of SI's production of Margaret Mitchell's bestselling novel) start and then the orchestra seems to literally wind up musically and then- POW!!!

G O N E W I T H T H E W I N D fills the screen as "Tara's Theme" blasts through. (Whew! I think I need a drink after that one- I'm exhausted!)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Movie Logos:
Buena Vista (1970s version): Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Columbia (1980s version): Annie and Ghostbusters
Fox w/Cinemascope extention (1950s): The King and I (technically Cinemascope 55)
M-G-M (the old B/W one): The Wizard of Oz, although when I was a kid I was deathly afraid of it.

TV Logos:
Embassy "spinning E" from the 1980s: The Facts of Life. I'll take back everything bad I ever said about Sony if they keep this one (on the DVDs).
MTM Productions: The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
PBS: Sesame Street

I also miss the animated network Movie of the Week intros and am crushed that the DVDs of these MOWs do not have them and the short trailers before them.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Orion - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
I think Star Wars goes without saying.

In terms of TV,
whenever I watch a BBC DVD, the logo always makes me think I'm going to watch Doctor Who.
And just the mention of the Thames logo on this thread made me think of the children's programme Rainbow.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
In regards to the Fox logo (and music), I seem to remember that the original music that accompanied the logo was shorter in length, whereas it was extended due to Star Wars. Back in the late 70's when I heard that "extension" I knew it was Star Wars related (hearing it on television). Now it seems that the extension was included in future movies by Fox.

Does anyone else remember this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks