What's new

Do you invariably associate a studio logo/theme with a particular movie? (2 Viewers)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The old ITC logo and music made me think Space:1999 was about to come on. But no, it would be The Muppet Show instead! What a geek i am.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
surprised nobody mentioned the mgm lion logo for 2001. not sure how many other films it was used on.

also, miramax == pulp fiction, to me.

CJ

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
Carolco=Total Recall, T2 and Basic Instinct

Orion=RoboCop movies / the Silence of the Lambs

New Line=Nightmare on Elm St. series

Rolando

Screenwriter
Paramount means Star Trek OR ... A Friday the 13th movie :)

of course put me down as number one billion and one for the Fox = Star Wars.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
how about that awful Lightstorm Entertainment monstrosity at the head of True Lies?

As for Morgan Creek and Robin Hood, it isn't helped by the fact that they're using the music from Robin Hood.

I suppose what the studios would want us to think of is, "ah, a ( fill in the blank ) film. That means it's a good one!"

Leo

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Something different, for me the FOX logo and theme means Die Hard, and yes, Star Wars.

Paramount means Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Universal means Back to the Future and Jurassic Park.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

It's on the new "Pink Panther" film.

The classic Universal logo will always mean "Jaws" to me. The newer version is more "Jurassic Park".

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I believe the Carolco theme was a snippet from Jerry Goldsmith's RAMBO score.

The Hammer logo equals horror for me; for anyone, I suspect. Same with the Universal logo from the 30s and 40s. And RKO=King Kong (33).

MattHR

Screenwriter

Me too. It was during this time that VHS was catching on, and Orion, through WB, was releasing many titles. I'll always associate the Orion logo with Caddyshack. I love how the theme song quietly begins with the reveal of the Orion logo...then fades into the golf course with the sprinklers keeping time with the music...all the while the music building...and the gopher emerges and begins to boogie...then ducks to avoid the titled-ball as Kenny Loggins' vocals enter one of my favorite theme songs on film. A classic opening to a film. The gopher steals the show in the very first scene!

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
Carolco = Cutthroat Island.
Universal = Jurassic Park
Regency = True Lies (although Fight Club has now superseded it)
Imagine Entertainment = Ron Howard
Castle Rock = Shawshank Redemption

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
For me, New Line reminds me of Austin Powers. Probably because when I first got into DVD's, New Line was really promoting their movies with 5 free discs with every DVD purchase. Since the logo animation is one of the first 5.1 things you see, that really stuck out in my mind from watching Austin Powers over and over again (because I only had about a dozen DVD's back then ;))

Oh, and whenver I see the HBO open (with the static), I am waiting for that "Curb Your Enthusiasm" music.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Haha. I get into that same groove with the HBO logo. If new episodes of Curb are airing, I'm used to that music following the logo. I've been rewatching The Sopranos lately so when Deadwood starts in June, it'll be weird to not hear 'Woke Up This Morning' after the HBO logo.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
LOL, Mark, you've got me pegged with that Curb Your Enthusiasm referrance!

I associate Morgan Creek's fanfare with Robin Hood Prince of Thieves because that's where that music is from.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Add me to the Star Wars list.

For some reason, I always associate the current New Line logo/music with Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare. And I associate the old New Line opening with Nightmare 3, probably because I watched it so many times on VHS as a kid, it's just stuck in my head.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Sorry to you STAR WARS fans, but the CinemaScope/Fox fanfare always reminds me of THE FLY (1958), as that is where I heard it for the first time and heard it on television for years following. And what a film to use the process!

The Jimmy McHugh Universal fanfare from the '30s and 40s' will always remind me of SON OF FRANKENSTEIN.

The red WB logo from the '70s with the synth in the background always reminds me of the atmospheric use of it in the start of THE EXORCIST, which sadly has been replaced by the new logo.

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
I always think Ace Ventura when I hear/see the Morgan Creek theme/logo.

Warner Bros has three things for me. There's the silent 90's version which makes me think of a Joel Silver actionfest (the calm before the storm...). The briefly used 'breeze' theme is Lethal Weapon 4 and the piano theme reminds me of Something's Gotta Give for whatever reason.

The 90's Universal logo reminds me of comedies I viewed as a kid (Liar Liar and Nutty Professor are 2 examples). The new one reminds me of The Grinch and The Bourne Supremacy.

Columbia's current theme will be Last Action Hero. No question. I always think Stripes for the older silent version.

HBO makes me think Sex and the City. Your guess as to why is as good as mine.

Fox is similar to Warners. The older theme (that gets used with Star Wars to this day) I think Star Wars, Home Alone and Die Hard. The newer theme (with different beats at the start) reminds me of X-Men.

MGM and UA is obviously Bond.

And finally, the current New Line is LOTR and two Jim Carrey favourites Dumb and Dumber and The Mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks