What's new

do you *have* to get the closest parking spot? (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
how in the world does the fact that another person is waiting for your spot possibly in any way shape or form make your experience any worse?
It is really annoying though when someone is waiting for your spot before you've barely even reached your car. Especially if you've got a cart full of groceries and a kid or two.

I'm trying to unload my cart, take care of the kids and then on top of that I've got someone sitting in their car waiting for me to finish. And invariably they've got a look on their face like 'would you hurry the *&$^ up'. It's quite annoying and hard to ignore.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I am ultra-particular where I park my car. I've been known to park, change my mind, re-park in another stall 2 or 3 times. I'll park very far away if necessary -- the walk is no bother whatsoever. I try to park on an end, and never next to a 2-door vehicle or one with a child-seat. Once, I even disliked a parking lot so strongly that I parked elsewhere and caught the bus the rest of the way.

If I happen to have a passenger with me -- hey, you're getting the ride, so you have no place for comment.

I still have too many dings on my car, but I value it and want to protect it the best I can. I rode the bus for about 20 years, and I do not take my car for granted.

I did, however, have somebody WALK ON or JUMP on my hood and roof while it was sitting in my parking stall at home. Cost $2,000 to get it fixed. So, while you never know, I do what I can.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
And if you're saying that they're wrong because they hold up the traffic - well you're the reason they're holding it up longer than necessary, if you purposely delay your departure!
:laugh: I see, so it's my fault they choose to park in the middle of the road and wait.

If I could be reasonably expected to leave within 10-15 seconds, I'm happy to do so at a normal pace and give the parking spot up to the person waiting. Example: I just returned my cart and am opening my car door. Someone stops and turns on their blinker. I'll back out quickly for them.

I decide to take my sweet time when someone thinks they can block traffic for several minutes. Like when I've just returned to my car with a cartful of groceries and they want to wait there the entire time. Now they're just being stupid and selfish and needlessly holding up traffic. So here's the deal: I take my sweet ass time even more. They get frustrated and leave. Then I back out quickly and give my spot to one of the innocents who has been stuck behind this guy for so long.

Don't worry, though. I rarely have to do this, because I, too, am that pompous individual parking the shiny vehicle at the far end of the row away from everyone else. Not because I think I'm better than everyone else. It's because I KNOW I'm better than everyone else. :D

I tease, but there is some truth to it: I've never damaged someone else's vehicle through carelessness, yet mine is damaged by others on a regular basis. I'd say that makes me a better person, at least as far as parking etiquette is concerned.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I agree. I take a deep breath and move on though. :)

Making them even more pissed off seems like the worst possible "solution" to me.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
This thread turned into a 'close parkers and far parkers are cut from the same cloth' discussion somewhere around page 2. How did that happen? I thought we were talking about people who spend needless amounts of time circling the lot like vultures to get the 3rd space from the storefront as opposed to the 10th (which is so much farther!

For chrissakes, who cares if someone wants to park their cars out in the boonies because they
1) are agoraphobic
2) want some exercise
3) don't want their cars smashed up
4) feel like it

The original point to this discussion is that the people hovering for the prized first 3-5 slots in a parking grid actually feel they're getting a prize. It's why they're willing to wait. It's why they get upset at people who wait. And the comedy here is, it's an illusory contest created our of their own hubris, inadequacy and obsession with hierarchy.

~j

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
lol - good point joseph. i forgot the point of my own thread. gotta love them tangents!
And the comedy here is, it's an illusory contest created our of their own hubris, inadequacy and obsession with hierarchy.
wtf is a hubris??? :D

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I have a 2002 PT Cruiser. What drives me crazy is when I park in the boonies, and then some jackass in a beat up POS comes and parks right next to me anyway.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
hubris n.
Overbearing presumption; arrogance.
Exaggerated pride or self confidence often resulting in retribution. (joseph's note: emphasis mine, gotta love this part of the definition... common examples can be found in Greek mythology where humans felt their endeavors could best those of the Gods... they were wrong.)

The problem today, is that most everyday 'Hubris' isn't even necessary, it's achieves nothing but pomp and circumstance (and annoyance), and it's rarely for a tangible goal or some far sighted aim. Citing my 'red light' example on page one, it gets you nowhere, you are just left with the illusion that you've come out ahead. Not to delve into Matrix architect-speak, but this opens up a whole new proverbial can of worms. If you feel in your heart that you are besting those around you by speeding between lights and stuffing your car five meters closer to your favorite store, are these daily acts of Hubris truly insignificant, or are they necessary placebo salves for a soul long wracked with insecurity and inadequacy?

~j

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

It's a contest maybe, but it's certainly not illusory if other people are competing against them, which seems to be the case. :)

As for "hubris, inadequacy and obsession", I think you're reading more into this than there is...

/Mike

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Talk to Mr Alletto, he's the one who grouped everyone together.
Yup!

Because its true :)

There is no difference between the vultures who circle for the spot because they are circling for close in spots and those that park far away.

Its fun winding some of you up like tops and watching you spin around. It amuses me.

:)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It kills me when I see people trying to find a close spot at the mall...Most people park close because they're too lazy to walk across the parking lot, yet they'll end up walking around the mall for hours :D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Each extreme has a goal in mind and they are equally annoying to the majority of people who just want to get there, park, and shop.
So, if you're one of those that just want to get there, park and shop...why not just do so? Seems like annoying someone based on where they prefer to park because it "annoys" you is more than fairly childish. But, I won't try to understand your logic because I don't see any to begin with.

Bruce

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
Well, since it appears I started the whole "don't park next to me when I park far away" debate, I just have to respond to some of the things others (MikeAlletto mostly) have said.

MikeA, please go back and read my post. I never once said "don't park next to me, period. I am special and you are not." What I said was, "when there are a lot of other spaces available, don't park your HUGE ASS vehicle next to my relatively small one, because I CAN'T SEE PAST YOUR STUPID BUMPER UNTIL I'M ALMOST COMPLETELY BACKED OUT, WHICH ONLY INCREASES THE LIKELIHOOD OF AN ACCIDENT. I guess if you believe this makes me an arrogant bitch, that's your prerogative. :rolleyes

I couldn't care less if someone walks by my car, has a regular-size vehicle and parks next to it, or leaps onto the hood to get out of the way of the speeding person who's gotten tired of the idiot holding up traffic while waiting for Ryan Wright to finish loading his groceries. ;) It's just a car!

I drive a '94 Camaro. It has 133,000 miles on it and could not be considered new in any way. (Well, except the tires, and frankly, you can kick them on your way by if you want to, for all I care). BUT, it doesn't have a lot of dents, dings, or scratches in it, the paint is still shiny, and it looks good because I've taken care of it. What's wrong with that?

David Preston

Supporting Actor
It kills me when I see people trying to find a close spot at the mall...Most people park close because they're too lazy to walk across the parking lot, yet they'll end up walking around the mall for hours
I see it all the time but never looked at it like that.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Its fun winding some of you up like tops and watching you spin around. It amuses me.
Aren't you the type the HTF tries to keep away? All you are doing is showing your immaturity. It's completely childish to use other people for entertainment. Just remember, what goes around comes around...

Mike D.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
I pointed out that I don't understand WHY people necessarily want a close spot.
There's a variety of reasons, some mentioned before based on various needs. I often do it, a look around once at least.

1) It's easier to get my two kids from the car to the store if there's less space to cross since there's usually no carts outside (or they're bloody hot or wet or just have crap in them). Carrying a couple of kids, carseat or other item can get tiresome quickly.

2) After working for 10 hours and just wanting to run in and grab something and run out, I'm wanting to be off my feet as much as possible.

3) I'm a fat bastard and sometimes my ankles just hurt and I'd rather not make it worse at the time.

And yes, I'm also the type that will let my wife off at the side of the entrance, but only during bad snowy/rainy weather where she'll run in to get what we need while i pull to the back of the lot and wait for her to return and quickly pick her up again.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
don't park your HUGE ASS vehicle next to my relatively small one, because I CAN'T SEE PAST YOUR STUPID BUMPER UNTIL I'M ALMOST COMPLETELY BACKED OUT, WHICH ONLY INCREASES THE LIKELIHOOD OF AN ACCIDENT
Thats all fine and dandy and that is a totally different situation. The thing is there is NO way for someone to know why you parked where no one else is parking. Do you put up a sign saying "don't ding me" or "if your big don't park near me I can't see around you"? No. So assumptions have to be made. Most of the time its a really nice car parked way out there because the person has a superiority complex and wants there car separated from others to make it stand out but also to avoid dings. I could care less about the beater parked away from everyone else, in fact I won't park next to it even if its away from everyone else for fear that the driver doesn't care about their car and won't care if they bump mine. I only do it to those with really good cars because I know how they think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks