Do you have to break in a SUB?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ruben Zamora, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

I was this close to making my own DIY sub. but when I saw this JBL PB12 for 239.00 i had to take IT. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I hope my experience with it is the same. Should arrive next Teusda or Wed.

My question is. When I connect this baby can I play movies right away at normal volume. Or should I break her in softly.

2. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

People tend to say yes. IMO everything needs time to reach its peak. Receivers, speakers, amps, tv's, and yes subwoofers.

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Maybe an hour or two for the cone to flex a bit. Put in a good "bassy" movie (like U-571 or Fight Club)... or better yet set a hip-hop CD to repeat a couple times (if that's your thing). That should be about it.

4. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

Ok, But say I put in a Hip hop CD to repeat, even though i dont like it. should i play it loud, or just enough to flex the sub a little?

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Good choice Ruben! I own a PB-12 myself.

I don't think you need to do any special break in procedures. It's not like a brand new rebuilt engine that NEEDS to be broke in. You may take it easy on it for the first couple of days, but I don't think it's necessary.

What I did and would do is, when you get it hook it up and calibrate, then watch 3 or 4 movies, play a little music, and then a few days later calibrate it again.

I simply took mine out of the box and calibrated, enjoyed maybe 10 movies, calibrated again (which I found no difference) and that was it!

Anyway, enjoy your new sub! I've had mine 1 year and still love it, they are a very well built sub, and they kick ass.

6. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I dont think you need to break it on or be gentle on it so much as realize that it may not sound the best until it has broken in. Dont subject you and your family to music and movies you dont like, just to break your sub in. I would say, just dont do any overly critical evaluations until its had a week or so to break in. I think speakers need to break in, but not ss electronics or wires. The bigger the cone, the more break in time is needed IMO.