Do YOU have the New R3 Kiki & Totoro 2-Disc Sets?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bleddyn Williams, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Reading around various forums, it seems that people are getting their hands on these discs.
    Does anyone here have them, and can volunteer a mini-review as to their quality?[​IMG]
    Bleddyn

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I don't know anyone who's gotten them in yet. We're still waiting for the box to ship from Hong Kong [​IMG]
    The only thing I've heard is that picture quality suffers a little as compared to the R2s because the discs are only single-layer, but that they are very nice
    No one has checked if they're anamorphic though! Grrrr!

3. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams
    Jeff, according to the DVD Times Forum, they're both anamorphic. Looks like detailed reviews should be posted there tonight or tomorrow.

Bleddyn

4. Jeff Kleist

Can you post the info? Their forum locks you out if you're not regged [​IMG]

5. Brad German

Brad German Extra

I just bought these for my daughter. I can confirm they are both anamorphic despite being labeled LB. I find many R3 discs incorrectly labeled.
    Totoro is in Japanese 2.0 & Chinese 5.1 but has english subtitles and english menus.
    Kiki is in Japanese 2.0, Chinese 5.1 and English 5.0 again English subtitles and menus are available.
    I have not confirmed the sound formats since I needed to wrap them and but them under the tree[​IMG]

6. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

If you are tlaking about the R2 Japanese discs then yes they are anamorphic and in 2.0 Surround. I own them and the picture quality fantastic. I have the LDs of these and they look like washed out water colors.

7. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams
    Tomoko, we're talking about the much-cheaper HK versions.

Jeff, they seem to have pretty much the same extras -

(with thanks to the DVD Forums)

Disc 1 - the film disc = DVD5 Film Only in Japanese/Cantonese Audio with English/Chinese removable subs.

Disc 2 - Multi-Angle Disc = DVD9. Other extras include 'Spirited Away' Trailer WITH English subs (Jap R2 does not have subs), either a Totoro or Kiki DVD Promo, and the Studio Ghibli Collection Trailer.

They are apparently anamorphic. Reviews should be posted there this weekend, but from the forum discussion, it sounds like Kiki is not quite as nice as the dual-layered Japanese, while Totoro has some dodgy encoding.

Am waiting for a bit more info before I order.

Bleddyn

8. Jeff Kleist

I got my discs today

Totoro:

The first half of the flick, any interior or exterior with a lot of brown (interior of the house) or blue (sky, water) is alive with macroblocking and other artifacting, there is heavy color bleed on many characters. Strangely enough, Green seems OK for the most part.

As the film progresses, the effect is less, but you can tell there's a great transfer under this compressionist boobery. It's not the fact it's on DVD-5, because the bitrate is maxed around the high 8's most of the time when I looked. There are also some source tape based glitches present, IVL should have requested a new master from Ghibli.

Once you manage to ignore the artifacting, you can see all the underlying detail, and realize it's all some moron at IVL's fault. When you look at a good shot, it's fantastic, but other than that, this guy must've assumed VCD quality is acceptable.

I've only sampled Kiki, and it seems like it has a lot of the same problems, but less pronounced. Sound is good on both, and the subtitles are definately more accurate than those on my friend's Japanese R2 disc

However, I'll be picking up the Japanese discs used next time I go to Japan unless Disney decides to wake up and smell the coffee in the US

9. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I've read that the Taiwan R3 versions released by Buena Vista are much better than the HK and even better than the Japanese release. The problem is that no one seems to have them for sale. Anyone know where I can buy the Taiwan versions??

Jeff

10. Jeff Kleist

Obtaining the Taiwan versions has proven near impossible

IVL has remastered the discs, but you need to livein HK for them to honor replacements (per licensing agreement). So we're screwed

11. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

These sites have some great reviews comparing the R2 Japan and R3 Hong Kong Releases:
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Totoro
    Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro [R2 Japan Review]
    Ghibli DVD Information & Analyses
    The general opinion seems to be that the Japanese releases have better picture and audio quality than the Hong Kong releases, but they cost twice as much as well. I personally ordered the R2 BV Japan releases of Kiki's Delivery Service and Porco Rosso from Amazon.co.jp and both those DVD's look great. There are some edge enhancement issues but its really hard to notice it on my 32 inch Toshiba TV. Going from my old fansub VHS copies of these movies to the DVD's was like a night and day difference. Overall, the video quality is awesome and the Dolby Surround tracks sound great with Dolby Prologic II Movie Mode on my receiver. Having the storyboards on the second disc is nice too.
    PS: I found this thread on the AnimeonDVD forums and it seems that the Taiwanese R3 releases seem to be better than the Hong Kong versions and go for around the same price of approx. $20.00 [whereas the Japanese versions cost around $40.00]. That thread has links to reviews regarding these discs, and help on finding places to order them from.

12. Peter Jue

Peter Jue Stunt Coordinator

If you're looking for the Taiwanese R3 versions of Totoro and Kiki, the only place that I know of is www.tcr.com.tw I recently placed an order from them and got both for $41 shipped.
    For those of you who can't read Chinese, go to yangshouwen's guide to ordering from www.tcr.com.tw at http://members.lycos.co.uk/yangshouw...lkthrough.html TCR is actually the web presence for Taichung Records, a music/movie retail chain in Taiwan.
    I ordered both on 3/15 and my credit card was immediately charged. It actually shipped on 3/22, so be careful if your card is near its max limit! They did not email a shipping notification, but you can check your order status on their website. Their email customer service is pretty fast, but they only respond in Chinese.

13. SimonInd

SimonInd Auditioning

IVL has remastered the discs, but you need to livein HK for them to honor replacements (per licensing agreement). So we're screwed
    Does this mean there are now better quality discs available from Hong Kong? I'm keen to get hold of these films but as I haven't seen them I'm reluctant to part with the cash required for the Japanese releases...
    Cheers
    Simon

14. Jeff Kleist

Yes, they fixed the color issues. The image quality is still less than the Japanese discs.

The good news is that THEORETICALLY these titles are up for R1 release this fall. I've started buying Japanese Ghibli DVDs from now on, and will swing back for Kiki and Totoro when I go again next year if Disney is still sitting on them