What's new

Do you have ribbons on your fan or AC? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
It's a movie thing, saw it in Insomnia last night. Nobody does this in real life. do they?
Think I saw it when I re-screened In The Heat Of The Night recently.
Pretty much appliance stores and movies.
Jim

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I know Ike...but by that logic why not have every character who is running wear a propeller beanie?
Or tie a ribbon to all the car antennas?

Jim

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
but by that logic why not have every character who is running wear a propeller beanie?
Or tie a ribbon to all the car antennas?
Why would one do that? You can just SHOW the person running, or the car moving. You can't just SHOW air.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm not sure I understand your question, Nick.

The reason one might need to show air is the same reason one might need to show a person running or show a car moving; it's just part of the movie. I'm not sure about "INSOMNIA," but you can check out "DOGMA" for a good example of this technique.

GregoryM

Agent
In the case of insomnia, it seems like a stylistic device to me. Without the ribbon, it would still be quite obvious that the blades of the fan are moving, and the noise of the ribbons flapping is brought forward in the sound mix. It's done at a point in the movie when Pacino hasn't slept in days, and has become very sensitive to sounds that would ordinarily blend into the background, something that does actually happen with sleeplessness. Not the choice I would have made, but effective nonetheless.

In general, though, I would agree that there are better ways to show that the air or fan is on, such as the aforementioned bringing up the sound for a second or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks