Do you have parking lot sleepers???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You know, the employee that goes out to his/her car at lunchtime and sleeps in the car? [​IMG] there are a bunch of them over where I work, perhaps it's a club? But anyway, they all go out there and sleep in their cars. It's really strange to be walking around the parking lot and see all these people dozed off and sleeping, reminds me of the Night of the Living Dead where these zombies are all coming out of the woodwork. Anyway, the funny thing is that my friend was sleeping in his car and he apparently had a blanket on him and a glove over his eyes to keep out the sun. Well apparently, somebody must of thought he was dead and started to tap on the window, immediately waking up my friend. The glove goes flying and the guy nods and walks away! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    He told me later on and it cracked me up, I just sent him a JPG so that he can print out and put in his window so this doesn't happen again:
    It's basically the word DEAD with a red ellipse around it and the diagonal line through it, like the no smoking signs you see...
    I also knew somebody who used to sleep on the floor with his head under the desk and his feet and body sticking out until somebody told his boss who told him not to do that anymore...
    Jay

2. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

I had alot of them at my old job...its the people that cannot come to the realization that there responsible adults now and have to get a good nights sleep or suffer the concequences...it's the infantization of America...NAP TIME KIDS!...no personel responsibility, just excuses.

3. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

The older I get, the more I think that people are not made to be in an office doing one task for 8+ straight hours. So I think nap time is a good thing. Hey, thousands of kindergarten teachers can't be wrong[​IMG]
    I once worked in an open office that had rows of large drafting tables. The tops of the table were at about 4' height. The surface area was ~3' x 6 '. The tables had one row of drawers on one side, and a metal panel on the other. Under the desk was a ~18" wide metal bar. I knew a guy who would crawl under his desk and scrunch himself up on the metal bar and take a nap. The first time I saw him getting up (without first getting down) it made me do a double take.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I can tell you a good one about naps in the workplace.....

I once serviced General Motors assembly plants and took care of their chemical needs and made sure the pre-paint washers were doing their job. Those monster washers were about 200 feet long and built about 4 feet off the ground with the solution tanks below them.

Once a year, GM would have a crew to go in and physically clean the insides of the washers and also inspect the whole machine....... We would always find dozens of sleeping places under the washers, mostly close to the heated solution tanks...... Sometimes we would even find someone in one of them even while they were supposedly on duty and getting paid.......

The UAW insures that people such as these have a good job with good pay and doesn't give a s*** about what kind of quality goes out the door. Before you flame me, let me add that there were lots of good people working in these plants but also a lot of the "other" type too......

6. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I used to work as a diagnostic tech in a cell phone factory, where a set of rubber eyepieces for our stereo microscopes was very highly prized. The reason: because you couldn't see a person's eyes when looking into a scope with the eyepieces attached, many people would take little naps right on the scopes. The clincher would be placing a cell PCB under the scope. The bosses would just think you were examining the board!

7. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, on the other side of the card, it says DEAD and underneath it says CALL 911
    So he just has to remember to flip it over before he goes unconscious....
    [​IMG]
    Jay

9. Michael St. Clair

I used to do that in my mid 20s when I was out closing the bars every night...

10. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Ahhh...corporate nap time. Everyone pull out your mats, turn off the lights and take an afternoon nap. Oh I wish!

11. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Two stories.
    1. I used to work at a sporting goods store. One of the assistant store managers (I was a lowly department manager) was a real party animal with a large stable of lady friends. Often he would come in to work wearing the same thing he had on last night and/or stinking of beer. He would open the store, get everything running and then head upstairs to the camping department and crawl into one of the tents. He would come out around noon and would ask what was for lunch. After he got woken up by a customer once he invested in a padlock so the customers couldn't get in and bother his nap.
    2. I sometimes would head down to our local warehouse to help pull stock for my store. One day when I arrived a bunch of people were being fired. Aparently they had set the boxes up in the warehouse so there was a maze to get back to a couple of bedroom-like cavern setups. They had sleeping bags, lanterns and even a mini-fridge. All you had to do was crawl through to sleeping areas.[/list=1]

12. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

13. Troy Madlem

Troy Madlem Agent

Well said Ryan.

My lunch hour is my time so if I wanted to go out to the car to sleep (I don't) its my business. I usually end up eating my lunch at my desk and invariably a call comes in or an architect or other engineer pops in to ask me a "quick" question.

I bet alot of the people using their lunch hour to catch a quick nap come back to the office refreshed and more alert than alot of the other people.

My 2 cents.

14. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Where I used to work there was this guy who would just sleep right at his desk, and would sleep in his car on his lunchbreak. Hell all this guy did was sleep, but he never got fired...I on the other hand had to pick up his slack.

I wonder how those car sleepers know when to wake up???

15. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My motto in life is:
    "I'll sleep when I'm dead."
    Some people need more sleep that others, I get about 6.5 hours of sleep each night and on weekends I'm usually up real early as just a matter of habit. I'll take a short nap at lunch but nothing that I need, and not on a regular basis as the Sleeper Club [​IMG] I think it's just funny to see a bunch of comatose bodies in their cars while walking around.
    Jay

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

18. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Holdem, here I come. [​IMG] I could handle a day like that.
    I have only done this once or twice. It was after a long night. I was at work at 5am the day before, and didn't leave until about 11pm. Lot's of fun. I was a tired little boy. [​IMG]

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I've never slept in the car, but every once in a while I've taken a nap at my desk at lunch time. When I worked in at the Swedish postal service, I would take naps if there wasn't too much mail to deliver (once the mail was delivered, we had to be back by 1 PM to do more work, and sometimes the mail would be delivered by 10 or 11, so the nap could be a couple of hours [​IMG]). Even when I worked at a restaurant, I would go and take naps at lunch in the back office.
    Those short, quick naps are really refreshing, too.
    /Mike

20. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I don't like naps. I usually wake up feeling worse after one than I do before. I like to get a long night's sleep (10-12 hours) than spread it over several smaller blocks of time.

The only sleeping creatures I see in the parking lot are cats and deer. Well, the deer were ruminating, but it fills much the same need for them.