Do you have an organized garage...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

or do you have stuff haphazardly thrown on shelfs, boxes and containers stacked on the floor, poles and 2x4s leaned in the corner, and more crap hung from the ceiling?
    i am definitely in the latter camp and i hate it.
    i would like to organize my garage, but can't afford those nice garage cabinet systems.
    if you have an organized garage what is your secret? what tips and tricks can you pass on to a pack-rat? do you know of any plans or diamgrams for inexpensive diy projects?
    also, if you have any pics (messy or clean [​IMG] )i would love to see them!
    thanks,
    ted

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    If you click on my Driftwood link you can see that half of my garage is now a theater, the other half is for my wife's Sienna. Other than that, my garage is always clean and free of crap.
    To keep the garage clean, I built two sheds out back, one for woodworking stuff and the other for gardening stuff. I do have storage in the attic above my garage for the holiday stuff and misc. keepsakes.
    I cannot understand why people pack their garages full of junk and park their cars outside. My neighbors own a 2001 Chevy truck and a 2001 Suburban, both park outside while their garage is packed with crap. Keeping 60+k in cars outside to let 1k (if that) of junk sit inside, no logic man, no logic. [​IMG]
    Peace out~[​IMG]

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

oh, my, god, no.
    my garage is a total mess, I'll see if I have a picture.

nope, no luck. sorry

4. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

My garage is highly organized.

Along with parking my car inside I use my garage as a woodworking shop so I need to keep it organized.

All of my large woodworking machines are on mobile bases so I can move them around and out of the way when I park the car inside. (Which is every night)

I built my own custom cabinets out of melamine for the garage because I like the clean look it provides.

While my garage is very functional I'm getting to the point where I would really like to have a dedicated shop so I'm think of moving onto a couple of acres so I can built an out building as a shop. It would be like heaven to have a dedicated shop to putts around in without having to move things in and out every time I want to do some woodworking.

As for cleaning your garage, it tough at first to get rid of "stuff" especially if you are a pack rat like I tend to be.

One idea is to plan out your garage clean up and get a mental image of what the completed project should look like. Then when you are doing the clean up handle things once and only once, deciding on the spot if an item goes or stays.

When deciding what gets tossed, ask yourself "have I used this in the last year and do I really need to keep it?"

It's hard to let things go but the reward is an organized garage your neighbors will envy.

Good luck!

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I keep a fairly well-organized garage. The previous owner of the house did me a big favor and installed the old kitchen cabinets in the garage when he remodeled the kitchen. I have installed a pegboard on one wall to hang lawn tools, and heavy hooks in the wall studs to hang heavier items, such as a step ladder, bicycles, etc. I also installed a winch system to get my snow blower hanging out of the way during the summer. An old bread rack (my dad is a retired Taystee bread truck driver) sits in one corner for additional storage. Finally, look at the rafter area for additional storage room. Our current garage actually has an attic with a collapsing ladder, while I used some old lumber to create flooring in the rafters of our previous house's garage.

All the above ideas are very inexpensive and can gain you lots of space. I refuse to park either of our cars outside, so the garage must be organized well enough to allow for this.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

man...it sounds like you have some nice garages. ron - i really like yours (for obvious reasons!). [​IMG]
    i had a garage simlar to scott's at one time at my old house. my neighbor (who was an award-winning woodworker) helped me put it together. he even built a very cool workbench for me. all the people who came over was like, "whoa!". boy i miss that garage. [​IMG]
    well, if i ever get my own place again, i'm certainly going to be investing some serious time, effort and (probably) money getting my garage back to where i want it.
    a ht wouldn't hurt either... [​IMG]

7. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It used to be highly organized before I started the projects around my house and it has become a haphazard mess really quick. It is actually my project for this coming weekend to get it back Organized so I can find tools when I need them. [​IMG]
    KyleS

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Just a reminder: don't throw away fully functional stuff, give it to charity if you don't want to sell it. [​IMG]
    My garage is OK, I used to be a big pack rat, but nowadays I'm pretty much like Kevin: if I find stuff I didn't even know I had and I don't need it, I give it away. That's what really helps keep the clutter to a minimum.
    There are several companies out there that sell storage products specifially for garages, maybe you should look into that, there are some really clever products on the market that can help you.