What's new

Do you have a second job? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a part time job beside your main one? I work an average of 45-50 hours a week. now due to some family situation (I need to help my sister out in canada, possibly for the next year or so), I need a second job. I could definitely live without, but that would mean little financial evolution: It would take much longer to restore my credit (which is totally shot right now), stuff like that.
I don't do anything when I live work really. But I was going to start doing martial arts again
Even though my job (EE) is very intellectually demanding, I have worked lots of hours through college, sometimes 32hrs of work (2 jobs) + 17 credits (max you can take is 18) and graduated in 4 years and a half. I know I can do it, at almost 23, I certainly have the energy for it.
I am simply wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and if you had a piece of advice laying around :). What type of job I should look for, etc...
Or I could get a roommate: I have a second bedroom that I don't use. I really hate that idea though :frowning:
--
Holadem

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In my "spare" time, I am working on starting up my Home Theater business. :D I have a vision...
My second job for part of last year, to help myself along as well as help out my friend's who started up their own business, was working as a kart mechanic at Speedring (see sig). Made some extra cash, and was fun to boot, but was somewhat demanding physically, and tiresome adding another ~20hrs a week to a ~40hr schedule and having very little weekend and evenings left to relax. It was low paying, but it helped out cash wise.
I have a roommate, and that's working out well. It's VERY tough finding a decent roommate though.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I'm lucky that my "second job" is freelance work. I can do it at home, and it's more flexible. I have a contract job with a national medical association to produce their newsletter. I also do various design and writing jobs for local clients. While it can be hectic, it sure beats working a second job for somebody else.

What are your skills? Is there anything you can do out of your house?

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Over the last few years I've worked a few p/t jobs. I work a full time job at a software company but due to financial situations I had to work some p/t jobs.

I worked at best buy for almost a year. Yeah it is hard but once you get used to the routine it isn't that bad. One thing to watch out for is taxes next year. Making that extra money really screws you come tax time so what you'll need to do is have an additional amount taken out of your paycheck at the second job, perhaps $50.00 or so depending on how many hours you work etc... The IRS has a worksheet online that will help you figure out the additional with-holding.

Retail jobs can pay decent. There were some scrubs working at best buy making $12-$15 an hour believe it or not. Retail jobs however suck for the most part since you'll be working every weekend and such.

Restaurants are worse but if you can deal with being a waiter you can rack up some serious money if you go to a good restaurant.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I had 3 jobs for a brief moment in my life. One in retail at a record store, one as a summer camp councilor, and a part time job at a fast food place.

I quit the fast food job after 3 days... it sucked.

My most favorite job was as a part-time bartender at a small corner bar. It was like throwing a party every night, I loved it... however.. the staying up until 3:00am and getting up for my real job was too tough and I had to quit.

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Dave Morton - Ditto for me. Saturdays, 4 hours, usually 16 weeks a year, absurd amount of money for the amount of work, since I teach the stuff I do all day long at my regular job.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I do custom pronto programming as my side job...pays ok but I set my own hours and can work from home which allows me to write off part of the house expenses etc come tax time.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for the ideas.
Pamela, I guess I need to sit down and evaluate my skills :). I am good with computers, but so is everybody nowadays... I really don't have a clue right now, but I will figure something out.
--
Holadem

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
A job I really enjoyed in high school was detailing cars at a local car dealership. It's not that hard, you get to see pretty cars, and you can really see that you've accomplished something at the end of the day. You might want to look into something like that.

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
Just going to post my experience with this. I am now 25 and have been working and going to school for the last six years. Lately I've been taking 12-15 units, working an internship during the week, and working as a server on the weekends.

Its not easy man. But it is possible. If you have a chance to find a second job that you like, that would be the best. If not, consider serving on the weekends. Hell, you can make $100-$200 a night on a friday, saturday at a nice restaurant. That is some fast, easy cash. Just a thought.

Believe it or not, I work with a teacher from the university at my restaurant! She works there weekends for extra money. She's been doing it for 6 years even though she has her masters AND another business. Once you get hooked on the fast cash, its hard to give up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks