Do you have a child that wets the bed? (long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Meissner, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

I have a 11 year old step son that wet the bed every night. sometimes twice a night. we had tried all the Doctor recommended things. like no drinks after 6PM, the pills they have (but it made him hallucinate) but they did work sometimes, and the bed wetting alarms. Nothing really worked. He is such a sound sleeper that the alarms wouldn't even wake him up (only i would hear it :-( ). he would wet and sleep for hours before it would wake him. So one day at work I looked on the Internet for answers and finally found a product called the "potty-pager" It is a device that looks just like a regular pager but it clips onto the child's underwear and vibrates when it detects wetness. I read all the testimonies and decided what the heck. i wasn't real keen on spending $70 bucks on something that probably wouldn't work anyway. well we got it and i put the batteries in the thing and tested it. it flew out of my hands it vibrated so hard. I new right then that it would definitely wake him up when it vibrated right on his penis. so the first night he wets and it woke him up right away. 4 nights he was dry and then the 5th he wet just a little bit before it woke him. after that he wore it for a month and a half before he wet again. then he wore it for 3 months and decided he didn't need it any more and has been dry ever since (for 1 year.)
    today is the one year mark!!!!! so that's why im writing this. I just wanted people to know who are frustrated like we were, there is a product out there that will and does work. I am not affiliated with the company that makes the potty pager in any way. like i said $70 is a hard thing to part with when everything else you have tried hasn't worked. I showed the web site to our son and he wanted to give it a shot. He was sick of never being able to go to sleep overs. Now he goes to them all the time.
    Good luck to all
    Joe
    here is the web address for them www.pottypager.com

2. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Joe...since you no longer need it, is the, um, device for sale? [​IMG]
    Jon

3. Joe Meissner

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I wonder where the tendancy towards bed wetting comes from. I wet the bed consistantly until I was about 7 or 8 and my younger brother until about 10-11. My sister however, NEVER wet the bed that I can recall. It is such a miserable situation, and I know that after the way I felt I will never scold a kid or complain about washing the sheets if I have a bed wetter. Glad the situation is better.

5. Joe Meissner

i guess it is more common in boys than girls but i think it is gynetics. my wife said she wet until about 12 years old. from what i have read alot of it has to do with deep sleeping. we could wake our son up before he would wet and take him to the bathroom and he would try to pee in the sink the tub the floor the hallway etc. i would even splash water on his face to wake him up and he would cry his eyes out. but he had no recolection of it the next day. i was amazed he never remembered me doing that. we even video taped it one night and he laughed his ass off when we showed him how he acted.

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Thanks for the info. Hmmm maybe it would work on my 10 month old [​IMG] (just kidding)
    But great information of he gets to the age where he shouldnt be going to the bathroom at night. What was the website that you got this off of?
    KyleS

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My daughter who is now 5 wet her bed only once and that did it. She freaked out because of that and never did it again.
    I'm glad to hear that you found a solution Joe and that it worked. I could not imagine how tough that would be to go through every night.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Joe, thank you for your story and the link. My nephew is in the same situation--same age, same feeling of shame and fear of sleepovers, and we have tried everything for him as well (not the pills though). We will talk to him about this and see if he is game. Thank you for sharing!

9. Joe Meissner

Dave,

he will be glad he tried it. like i said we figured nothing would work. and he would just grow out of it. We couldn't believe how well this little contraption worked. and how fast it worked. We were washing sheets and a comforter every day. it was hell. Also his attitude has changed. he is not such a cry baby and his grades improved too.

10. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I was a bed wetter until about 11 years old. Then when I was 29 it was discovered that I was born with only 1 kidney and my ureter is abnormally wide, and my urologist says it's wide enough to drive a truck through. I don't know if this condition had anything to do with bed wetting, but it makes me wonder.

11. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

If anyone needs another solution, there is a medication that is now used for bedwetting. It's called Desmopressin (or DDAVP). It is a synthetic hormone that mimics anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) which occurs naturally in your body. It is considered safe and very effective. It is given intranasally (sniffed), once-a-day at bedtime.

Jon

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I am so glad our son caught on quick. He's 3 and he'll get up and out of bed and go to the bathroom, flush and go back to bed all by himself.

I think what helped is my wife or I would get up in the middle of the night and go take him. So, he was kinda conditioned to get up and go.

Now, if we could only get him to go during the day when we ask him to. He'll be dancing around with his legs crossed and deny that he has to go. It's a 3yr old thing, I guess.

13. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I used to wet the bed constantly as a child. Sometimes doing it 3 times in a night. :b I'd pee in my bed, then go sleep with my mom and dad and pee on their bed, then they'd make me sleep on the couch and I'd pee on that too. I think some of it had to do with me being sick alot as a kid. I ended up growing out of it by the age of 8.

One time after my mom and dad divorced, I was sleeping over my dad's house, and peed the bed there. He got so pissed at me, he made me sleep on the floor. That was a very uncomfortable and restless night.

14. Joe Meissner

we tried the nasal spray too. but it only worked maybe 3 nights out of the week. and it was expensive.

15. Nathan Patrick

I used to have the same problem as a kid. I can't recall when I stopped but it was when I was 11 or 12. I recall that it bothered me a lot as a kid, mainly because my family sort of teased me about it. From what I have read/heard recently, bed wetting in older children is usually caused by the bladder not growing as quickly as the rest of the body.