What's new

Do you hate a band you've never heard? (1 Viewer)

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
The other day I was talking with my best friend about bands and I mentioned how I couldnt wait for the new Coldplay cd and he went 'Pfft'.

I asked him if he liked them and he said 'F no, They suck.' I asked what songs he'd heard and he didnt know, I asked him if he knew someone who loved them that he hated? Like an old girlfriend or something. no. I asked him why he hated them then? He said 'I just do.' 'They're one of those manufactured bands." What? I asked him to explain and he couldn't.

I told him that the kind of music he listened to it was right up his alley from U2 to Morrissey to Tori Amos jeez everything. He listens to all kinds of music from Cibo Matto to shonen knife, Hell i even saw a damn Charlie sexton tape in his car LOL. He snickered.

I love Coldplay they are one of my favorite bands and I think they are great, I guess I was frustrated cause i wanted to share how much I liked the band and just got an Irrational, "F them they suck." I asked him, "You know me right, do you think I have bad taste in music?" He answered. "We're all allowed to like one bad band." :angry: GRRRRR!

So my question is have you ever outright hated a band you never gave a chance in the first place? And I don't mean necessarily a type of music. Cause i'm not listening to coutnry. And also did you ever change your mind?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I know people that like Coldplay, but the lead singer's voice just doesn't do it for me. I mimic my cats' yowling when I mock his singing style, and my friends understand what I'm mocking, but they still like the band, nonetheless.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Like you, I can respect anyone's opinion as long as it is founded on actual experience. I think to have someone discount something for no (logical) reason is more of a frustration than a difference of opinion. Keep that conversation in the back of your mind and the next time he raves about something, just pull the same thing and see how he likes it.

That said, I do have my biases about mainstream country and "Top 40" but there is stuff in there I like. I may not like something on first listen, but at least if a friend says, "No, listen to it again." I will.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Coldplay a manufactured band? I'm not a Coldplay fan (the lead singers voice bothers me too) but I think that statement by your friend shows his opinion isn't based on any knowledge of the band.

I'm not sure about the question though...I pretty much write off nearly every new artist on MTV without listening to it. I wouldn't say I hate the latest Beyonce or Britney look-a-like without having listened to it, but I could easily say with total certainty that I would not like whatever featured clone of the week on MTV you tell me to listen to.

I'd listen to it, and then tell you I hated it.

There isn't too much difference between what your friend said about Coldplay, and my feelings about MTV darlings...other than taking the time of going through the motions and listening to it first.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I agree I am very judgemental about certain kinds of music, I know what I like and I think many people are the same way. I was annoyed that I was suggesting a band that this person might like and they wrote it off just like that. I guess I was kind of insulted.

I've never listened to an Eminem cd at all and I know I don't like his stuff. Scene bits of videos before I change the channel. I know I don't like Clay Aiken's music. I guess if the tables were turned and a friend said, "Listen to this Clay Aiken CD he rocks the house down." I'd kindly say no thanks and tell my friend how his taste in music was an abomination.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I hate Rush, but it isn't illogically without hearing them. Quite the opposite. I can't stand listening to the nasal whiny lead singer Geddy Lee. Talk about nails on a chalk board.

IMHO, of course. :)

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I make pre-conceived notions about bands without hearing them, like most others here. But I am reasonable enough to know I can't hate them without at least sampling it.

That said I tend to dislike bands with a number in their name. it's weird:

Three Days Grace
Five for Fighting
Finger 11
Seven Mary Three
Ben Folds (Five)
Maroon five
Matchbox 20
Third Eye Blind
Three Doors Down

The following are ok:

Sum 41
Blink 182
Nine Inch Nails
U2

I won't even count Take 5, or S Club 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks