do you guys like the idea of reserving seats in theaters?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jul 31, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

that way, the first one to purchase the tickets would get his favorite seat, vice versa. do you like a system like that? i think it is a better system, unlike the current system that sounds like " it is a jungle out there".

btw, how do they count box office of a certain movie when they never count how many people there are in a theater? you can pay once and watch 3 consecutive movies in a day!

2. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

damn! wrong forum. sorry!!!

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I wouldn't like the reserved seats idea - neither would most theater chains. Many people would stay away if a movie was crowded and they thought that they couldn't get the "perfect" seats. It would also slow up the box office process too much ("I don't want THAT seat!" whine whine whine) and add considerable labor cost to the theater as they would now need dedicated personnel in each auditorium to check seat numbers and make sure people sit in their assigned seats. I know some theaters in New York tried it a few years ago, but it was a disaster.

4. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Not only in Russia, but in Asia it was standard to have sitting chart/reserve seats, ushers (may still be today), very much like when one goes to the "theater" (Musicals, Plays,...), Concerts, Ballets,.... In the case of big time movies, such as My Fair Lady, Cleopetra, .., even the tickets were specially printed. And yes, some seat costed more, and some show times costed more, again, just like when one goes to a live performance, there's the orchestra, balcony,...

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Don't IMAX theaters do this? It doesn't seem to be a problem with them.

8. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    The IMAX theaters I have been too are NOT reserved seat theaters.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Reserving seats should only go for special stuff...like a 70mm screening of 2001: A Space Ody.. Sorry..need to wipe the drool off my lips [​IMG] ..Odyssey or Lawrence of Arabia.
    I don't want to see crapola like Scooby-Doo get that treatment, however.

10. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    I like reserved seating. Its possible for a theater to be half full but have all the best seats taken. This is especially true if you go with a group of 4 or more people and want to sit together. By having reserved seating, you can see what seats are occupied ahead of time.

Also, it has been my experience with two theaters that do this in the Los Angeles area, that the audience seems to be much better behaved. I am guessing its more because the $10-$14 ticket prices but I will take a quiet theater anyway I can get it.

-Keith

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I don't like the idea of reserved seating - at least not for the average or typical movie theater (AMC, Star, etc.). I like the idea of first come, first served - which means coming early. I like to know at anytime I can decide to go to a movie and get a good seat if I go early. No big deal.

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Reserved seating for movies has potential in theory, but from what I've seen of it in practice, most theaters couldn't handle it. It takes people long enough to buy tickets as it is, without adding the extra delay for seat selection. Most movies theater lack an adequately detailed seating chart (a common feature of live theaters), so that people end up guessing where they'll sit, often with less-than-happy results. And if you have specialized preferences (e.g., aisle seat), you're lucky if the people in the ticket booth even listen to your request.

The Ziegfeld in NYC still bills itself as a reserved seat theater, but the last few times I've been there, they had reverted to open seating. I suspect they found it just too difficult to administer.

M.

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hey, my first three screenings of 2001: A Space Odyssey in 1968 were reserved-seat shows. I think 2001 is just about the last-ever reserved-seat film. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If they did reserved seating at either special events or at certain places (like at a movie premiere at the Zigfeld (sp?) ) then I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'd rather actually have a chance of getting a good seat when I go to a movie theater without paying extra.

Also, I've found that it's extremely uncomfortable to sit in any seat that isn't in the back center of a movie theater, and if I can't get a seat around there then I won't enjoy the movie. Luckily, the best local theater has stadium seating in the back, so any one of those seats is good.

15. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Well, I saw The Lost World: Jurassic Park 2 in reserved seating at the Ziegfeld. And when I saw 2001 in the theater, they weren't selling reserved seats.

I think it's the theater, not the film.

M.

16. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

I saw T2 in Londin, England reserve seating.
    My friend and I were the only people in the theatre

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I don't think reserved seating would work in movie theaters. People who frequent the 'stage' theater, opera, sports events, etc. are usually prepared to find their seats with ample time.
    Movies are often a spur-of-the-moment let's-go-see-a-movie-now kinda thing. Maybe for the "art theaters" it would work, but it seems like a lot of effort just to see a movie.
    If you want that special seat, show up early...just like you would if you had reserved seating. [​IMG]

18. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

One theater here has some reserved seating in a couple auditoriums, but it comes at a premium price ($3 more, I think). The balcony seats, in the the two or three auditoriums that have them, have leather seats with numbers on them. I've sat in these seats at preview screenings (read, not paying anyway [​IMG]), and the seats and view are superb. Would I pay the extra money for them? No.
    Reserved seats would probably increase ticket prices too since theaters are going to need more employees to handle the workload. Ushers would be needed, for one.
    Also, what about if you bought reserved seats next to people you would have otherwise avoided if you could sit anywhere you wanted? For instance, what if your reserved seats are right beside, or worse, directly in front of a group of rowdy moviegoers?

19. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Nix for me. I can see that it might come in handy for big sold-out blockbusters, but I think it would mainly just be a pain in the butt for the theaters and ticketgoers.
    On the other hand, since we usually sit where few people want to sit (front, 2nd or 3rd row center or aisle if there's a center aisle), depending on the theater), it'd be great to pay less to sit where we usually sit anyway.
    My only experience with reserved movie seats was when we went to the movies with friends in London, and we hated it. It cost us more and we were at the very back of the theater, our most hated place to be. (Not to mention that it was Ghost, a movie we had no interest in seeing, and that it cost us nearly twice as much than if we'd seen it in a cheap theater back in the States. Our hosts chose the movie, theater and seats, and we didn't want to be rude and seem like ugly whiny Americans, so we went along and said nothing.)

20. Carl Bradshaw

Reserved seating is used in almost all the multiplex chains in the UK. Upon buying your ticket you are offered a choice of front/centre/back (if a choice is available), and then you take what you get. Doesn't slow things up at all, though sometimes it seems a bit redundant when the cinema is almost empty...