Do You Grave Peanuts But Are Allergic To Them?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kline, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Grave peanuts? Like the kind you give out on Halloween, or what?

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    En-Grave? Like write your name on them so the damn elephants will keep their trunks off? [​IMG]

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Oops! Crave. The C and G are soooooo close!

5. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

In about the last 3 years I've become allergic to peanuts, which sucks because I really loved roasted salted peanuts, and now even the smell alone can get my throat to tighten up and leave me short of breath.

Just the other night I had a reaction to a wafer that had 5% hazelnut in the ingredients, which I did not realize I was allergic to, until those familiar feelings in my throat appeared. I'm going to have to start carrying an epipen, luckily my reactions are more uncomfortable, but who knows when they could get worse.

Now I've heard of kids with allergies to peanuts and the nut families, but until now I've never heard of anyone developing an allergy later on in life. I went close to 30 years eating nuts, but not anymore.

I'd like to hear other experiences and suggestions from the fine folks here.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Can't say I know anyone with a peanut allergy, but I thought the post was timely since there was a story on ABC World News Tonight this evening about a new treatment for allergic reactions to peanuts. It won't cure the allergy, but may allow people to stave off problems from the accidental consumption of a few peanuts or a product with nut byproducts. . Still, it could be 3-4 years before the product comes to market. Here's a link to the story.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Depending on how severe your allergy is, "grave" might be the right spelling after all. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

8. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Thought I'd resurrect this thread...

Why has there been such an increase in the supposed number of life-threatening peanut allergies? Many schools are banning all foods contaning nuts, to the point where kids can't bring in PB+J sandwiches anymore. I never heard of nut allergies until a few years ago.

Is this sensitivity to nuts (as well as the increase in asthma in the last few years) happening because as a society we're becoming too "clean"? Several years ago companies started promoting anti-bacterial products -- maybe these products have reduced the number of harmless microbes that help our immune system get exercise.

I guess there are two issues -- 1) does being super-clean impair our immune system such that we are "de-evolving" and less capable of fending off alien microbes, and 2) will the "rights" of those allergic to peanuts eventually mean an outright ban eventually? (Airlines and many schools have already banned them.)

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    until fairly recently, i had no idea peanut allergies could be so dangerous. a very close friend of mine with a severe peanut allergy ate a food product that she thought contained no nuts, but it did. it's been over a year, and i cant help but think it could have been avoided somehow. she was 22.

CJ

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

13. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

14. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Brian, someone just told me about a report on how we are making ourselves so germ free that our bodies are looking for other ways to become allergic. She said this is why peanut allergies are more common now.

I also read an article about how the use of peanut oil in baby oils is what is making a lot of people allergic to peanuts. They warned parents to avoid putting oils, that contain peanut oils, on their babies.

Did you guys also read that story about the teen who ate a peanut butter sandwich and then kissed his girlfriend, who had a peanut allergy? She died. Talk about insane and very sad! [​IMG]

16. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Mark I have heard the same thing.

I remember reading an article 4 or 5 years ago that upper middle class people that have regular housemaids to keep the house spotless actually have a higher incidence of children with asthsma. A little dust and grime isn't going to kill anyone but not having any immunity to it (being born in a self cleaning bubble like some kids) just might.

The big corporations that sell cleaning products have been trying to drill it into our heads that germs are bad and should be eliminated. Buy our product and you will be germ free! Like with the overuse of antibiotics, common household germs one day might in fact be quite deadly if we keep overusing more and more powerful cleaners.

17. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

18. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I crave Chocolate despite being "allergic" to it.

19. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Until recently I'd never had an allergic reaction to anything, ever. Then one fine day I have lunch at a Thai restaurant I've been to several times before, and that evening come down with a pretty nasty reaction -- swollen eyes mainly, fortunately nothing life-threatening. Got a shot and a day's sick leave, was fine after that.

Still have no idea what triggered the attack. It's not nuts (chomped cashews last night, for that matter), and shouldn't be any of the usual spices or herbs found in Thai food, but the one unusual item we ordered that day was a fried fish with their "house sauce" -- must be some weird secret ingredient in it that caused it...

20. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston