What's new

Do you get perforated toilet paper at work? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

That was the first thing I checked on reading this thread....is he in Great Britain?
But it was Joisey.

I guess nothing has changed across the pond. I was there in 1983 and the toilet tissue often seemed to be made of wax paper.
I believe I was in a park loo where I found paper with a goverment stamp on each sheet, like is was worth nicking.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

Do any of you remember the thread about the aspect ratio of toilet paper? I believe it was posted in the HT Software section many years ago.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
:)

Much of the Arab/Muslim hemisphere would agree.

In high school, bunch of us were spending the afternoon at a muslim friend's house. We were stunned to find some kind of water container and soap intead of TP. Much derision ensued, unbeknowst to our friend. We found the practice unbelievably gross.

This buddy of mine would get no action from his muslim woman unless he eschewed TP for soap and water.

My last gf, arab muslim as it were, finally clarified that soap and water is the middle step of a process which starts and ends with TP. She was grossed out by TP-only rituals...

--
H

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
and don't they use a particular hand to do it?? I was in a class that was teaching foreign etiquette and they told us not to shake hands with (I forget which hand) because in Arab countries, that hand is the "Clean Yourself" hand and is considered offensive if you extend it to someone else.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
According to Islamic tradition, the left hand is the unclean hand. I've been told that children in some Muslim countries that begin to use their left hand for writing are forced at an early age to become right handed.

After 17 trips to Saudi Arabia, and one to Egypt, I've witnessed some of the old-style Muslim restrooms that demonstrate the need for the "unclean left hand" rule that's been around for many centuries. In the older parts of Riyadh, many of the restrooms were four walls with two holes in the floor. We called those restrooms "squatters".

Sometimes there would be a constantly running water faucet on one wall with the water running down a drain. Sometimes they had a wide urinal on a wall. There were no paper towels or toilet paper in the room. You can use your imagination to figure out the procedure for having a bowel movement. There were no dividers so you did your business in front of everyone in the room.

Fortunately things are becoming more civilized now with the introduction of shopping malls with modern bathroom facilities. The new homes and apartments there now have all of the modern bathroom facilities found in the U.S. plus the addition of a bidet.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
We don't have lights in our office restroom. There is a window however, albeit behind one of the stalls, so as long as you're going between sunrise and sunset there's enough ambient light to find your way. And no wasted time looking in the mirror.

Joe S

Second Unit

TP, then soap & water (shower)- works for me.
So many guys make it a daily ritual at work. I wonder if their wives ever said "Phewww,... why can't you go at work?"

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The left hand is pariah in my culture as well. Though we're not muslim, we are close enough to the Sahel to have been influenced by them. And there is a substantial muslim minority in the region.

It is rude to greet, take, give and eat with your left hand. The reasons are rarely spelled out -- it's one of those things you don't find out about until you're much older (which is why my "business hand" has remained the right one, utterly defeating the purpose...). At this point, like many (most?) traditions, it remains for it's own sake, divorced of the original intent.

And yes, I am naturally a lefty who has been forced by my tutor to write with my right hand. My parents weren't aware of this till much later, when it was too late. Right-handed, left-footed is me.

--
H

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO, somehow, some higher being must have listened and we seem to now have 2-ply toilet paper here at work!! Still not perforated nor do we have a working TP dispenser with an edge to cut the non-perforated tissue but we now have 2-ply!!!!! The strike has been averted by last minute posturing by the management.

Jay

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Maybe I've got a bit of OCD or maybe my body clock is unusually well regulated but I've never had to perform the bodily function that requires TP at work, only first thing in the morning at home. Oddly both the dog and the cat have an unexplainable compulsion to accompany me to the bathroom and observe this ritual, with the cat also having to very closely observe the flushing procedure (she almost fell in once).

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
When I was growing up, we had a cat that loved to sleep on top of the tank. After a few years, one day we hear someone using the toilet without the door shut. It turned out to be the cat squatting on the seat. :eek: We never could train him to flush though.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I shouldn't have been eating while reading this thread...

Anyways, no we don't have perforated toilet paper at my grocery store, and I don't think it's 2-ply, but I don't care it gets the job done just as efficiently.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
But how annoying is it to be sitting on the loo and trying to find a perforation link and then having to manhandle the thing to rip it.. How uncivilized! :D

Jay

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
How hard is it to rip toilet paper? It's not like it's made of steel... That'd be painful!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm an HR Manager for a Fortune 1 retailer, and although we have recently employed a new cleaning staff at my store, which is doing a fantastic job thus far, I still have to make it a rule to not use the facilities at work.

However, we do have perforated two ply in both customer and employee washrooms.

Elphaba

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gilda
Nope. Cheap bulk single ply paper. I bring my own good stuff and store it in the cabinet. I also decorated the toilet with a couple of plants and some potpourri, to make things a little more pleasant.

Joe S

Second Unit
I just checked since I rarely use the stalls, and they have the large rolls of single ply, unperforated paper.

Lately, I've seen a few guys tear off a length of paper towel and soak it with water before entering the stall. I'm guessing they use it to wash a bit...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks