What's new

do you get mad when your employees call in sick? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my supervisor does.
early in the week I wasn't feeling well, went in all mon and tue, wed I call in at 7 and tell him I'm not feeling up to it and he gives me a sob story about someone else "might not show up" and talked me into coming in and doing what I normally do in 5 hours in 3. Of course the other person showed up right on time. That made me feel worse, so I call in this morning and get some serious attude, WTF you KNOW I'm not feeling well, it's not like I'm getting sick time pay for today, what ever happened to staying home out of courtesy to your coworkers as to not infect them as well?
think I need a new job. This is the first and probably last time I've stayed home sick from this job, I don't get sick too often :angry:
edit: holy run on batman. Too lazy to correct it :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like your supervisor is a jerk. If you go to work sick make sure you pass it on to him first. :rolleyes:But really it doesn't make any sense to get MAD at someone for being sick. You can be mad at the situation but if you rarely take sick days then there should be no problem. He can't expect everyone in 100% of the time.
If you find a better oppurtunity in the classifides you might wanna look into it.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Lick the rim of his coffee cup and sneeze on the door handle to his office. That'll learn him. :)
Why do I feel vindictive this afternoon?

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Here is a story related to me from my brother.

He was at work one day and he overheard the manager on the phone with one of the other employees. She was saying something to the effect of "You know we aren't going to be able to cover your shift" and "If you can, try to make it today"

Turned out that the guy calling in wasn't sick, his mother had just died. This manager was giving the guy a hard time about not coming to work when his mother had just died?!?!?!?

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Only if:

1. The person had requested the day(s) in question off and I had a valid reason to say "no"

2. The person has a history of repeatedly calling in sick (example - opening day of deer season)

We all get sick from time to time. I would much rather have someone stay home for a day than come in to the office, drag ass and possibly infect others, including myself!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Heck, these days, the one time in my 7 years here that I "called in sick" I did it via email! Thereby avoiding any harrassment by the management.. Thought not like I'm gonna get any harrassment by calling in sick one every 7 years though :)
Jay

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
People do get sick. I usually get sick from people bringing their sick kids with them when they bring in Fluffy.
I, on the other hand, am not allowed to get sick. :) I am the only veterinarian here.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
If you find a better oppurtunity in the classifides you might wanna look into it.
Yeah I've been saying that since my first week there, I hate the job but it's temporary, I'm graduating in december and hope to move on to other opportunities, so I guess I should just stick it out for 2 more months :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I happen to work for a large corporation, it is company policy that when some one calls in sick no questions are asked. Of course if you are habitually sick then a sit down will be in order.

As far as the story about the mother dying, that ass of a supervisor needs a serious talking to by HR and his supervisor. What kind of moron would take that kind of stance?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I make it a habit never to question if someone is sick. I did, however, have a funny thing happen a few weeks ago when a black employee of mine called in to say he was taking off Yom Kippur in observance of "his religion." We didn't question it right away because of the Sammy Davis Jr. factor, but after asking him if he realized that as Jewish person he wouldn't need Christmas off, he admitted making the whole thing up.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I few years back I worked at Wal-Mart. I was a CSM, which is basically manager of the cashiers. I used to hate it when cashiers called in sick. I never gave them any attitued though. I simply told them I hoped they'd feel better.
It was always the same people that called in sick. How can you be sick twice a month, every month? Gimme a break! I'd never get annoyed when a good employee called in sick though. If you call in sick a couple times a year, like a normal person, then I didn't mind at all. But Man, I really hated those slackers that called in sick all the time. The shitty thing was that we couldn't really do anything about it. Management would NEVER fire anybody, except maybe for stealing. I'm not sure why.

-Marshall

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
what pisses me off is even monday I wasn't feeling well, and he could tell I was draggin ass.
on top of it I work in a warehouse, so I drive back and forth between our 'house and another one a block or two away on a forklift a few times a day, and spend a bit of time outside, which last night the low was 13F and in the mornings it's been around 20F getting up to the high 20's during the day, not fun stuff to be in when you're sick.
I don't want to speak badly of the guy, I like em as a person.. I just think maybe he's got little experience in a supervisor role. I've had worse, I was a projectionist in a movie theater, it was much harder to call in sick there because there were only 3 of us and most of the ass. managers didn't know how to project, so you had to find someone that would cover for you...

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I learned a long time ago that if I must call in sick, I leave a message on the supervisor's phone in the wee hours of the morning. No hassle.;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i had an employee who was always sick only on mondays or fridays. gee...how convenient. that person i never believed.
it's all about trend. if am employee never calls in sick, shows up on time, etc., then i don't give it a second thought. if they're constantly sick right before/after the weekend or a holiday, then i'm more apt to be irritated.
also, it never fails to crack me up when they go on and on about why they're sick. tbh, i don't really care why they're not coming in. heck...it just makes them seem more guilty. just let me know you won't be in.
whenever i call in sick i just say, i'm not feeling well and won't be in. that's it...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
ditto ted. it's none of their damn business, but if they ask I think I'd make something up about really bad, uncontrollable diarrhea :D

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Lick the rim of his coffee cup
Not a good idea. If he's an ass, you've no idea what else has previously been on the rim of that cup.:D
My boss always knew when I was bluffing, as I usually say something like, "I am going to be sick tomorrow.":) We called them "mental health days." Usually one or two a year, when the customer got unruly.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm one of those fans of "if it's in your contract ... take it" lines of thinking..

That assumes you are a good worker though.

I don't see 6-8 days a year a bad thing. You may have a couple days in a row and then a few lose days.

Hey, I used to get in shit for calling in sick when they weren't paying me if I didn't show up anyways!

Brent

AllanN

Supporting Actor
We have a employee where I work that call's in sick at least twice a month. It's kind of agitating because she just keeps getting away with it. But on the other hand she is the black sheep of our employees and is not that productive anyway. So it's kind of nice when they are not around.

Most of the time I use up my 40 hours a year. I get some wicked ass sinuses headaches in the fall. I mean my whole face hurts, individual teeth and all. I would much rather be at work and feeling fine. Usually I get one of the colds that are floating around that year and that takes me out for a day or two. Any additional time gets banked up. Or we can use our sick time if we need to go the the doctor for routine things, checkups, dentist appointments, etc.

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
My wife (who is not habitually sick) called in sick once when she worked as a department manager for a MAJOR TOY STORE (you figure out which one). Her supervisor called her later in the day to say that they were swamped and they needed her to come in. He actually gave her a hard time until she went in - but not until after he made her cry.

She went to work. I knew she was having a bad day so I went to the store a couple of hours later. I was going to have words her supervisor and take her home, but he had already gone home himself! The new store manager on duty let her go home. I guess this was better since she didn't want me to fight her battles for her, anyway.

My wife still works for this company, but not in the stores. They have a ridiculous sick-time policy. You only get paid for your sick time if you're out more than 3 days in a row and have a doctor's note! I think that this just encourages employees to call out for 3 days. It's easy to get a note from your "doctor".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks