Do you game on projection tv?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Berti, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Bruce Berti

Bruce Berti Stunt Coordinator

Was thinking about getting a PS2 but in the manual with my 53" Hitachi rear projection tv, it says you may get burn in. Is this true or are they just trying to cover their butts? Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I game on a projection TV, and was told by someone here on the HTF that generally, it's if you play for a couple hours straight. So, I play it safe, and change the channel, the screen, or something, every 10-15 minutes, but I don't generally play for more than an hour.

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

As long as you have your TV properly calibrated & don't leave the game on pause, you should have no problems. Grab a copy of the Avia Guide to Home Theater, run through the calibration (especially brightness & contrast) and you should be all set.
    To be on the side of caution, you can kick the contrast a little lower than you calibration, & you can switch the stretch modes periodically.
    I play for hours on end, with no ill effects. Well, other than mental. [​IMG]
    -Dave

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I've played console games on my past two RPTV (61" Sony, currently, 50" Mits before). No problems. I never play for more than 2 hours at a time, so it's never going to be a problem for me.

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I've played the same game for almost 13 hours straight (damn kudos challenges!!!) with no ill effects on my RPTV. But I would highly recommend a calibration beforehand, either from an ISF professional, or using the AVIA or Video Essentials DVD.

6. John Guarino

John Guarino Auditioning

Turn down your brightness and contrest some and you shouldnt have a problem. You more like to have problems with CNN and other tv channels with tickers. Just think that clock and upperleft hand conoer of football game causes more risk then any video game as well when it comes to burn in.

7. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

What they said! [​IMG]
    I've been gaming on my Mits 55" since I got it. Just make sure you do what everyone advises and adjust the settings.
    Troy

8. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

The reason you see all those warnings about NOT playing video games on a projection type TV in all those game manuals is because the vast majority of people who own them don't have a clue about calibration. Many sets come out of the box with excessively high brightness and contrast settings...heck, even the "smart picture" control on my rear projection TV puts the contrast waay too high.
    If you have a projection TV, playing games on it should never be a problem when properly calibrated using AVIA or VIDEO ESSENTIALS. Using common sense helps also...don't ever leave a game paused for extended times.
    I've been playing video games on my set for over 3 years now without a hint of burn-in. I've been known to play for 2-6 hours straight at times.