Do you find yourself buying more TV shows on DVD than movies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaptDS9E, Jan 27, 2002.

1. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Lately I find myself buying and enjoying more tv shows on dvd then movies. For example I got into Farscape,Stargate SG-1,and now Buffy(Started watching today) all through DVD. Never watched them on regular tv until I picked up the DVD's. I was already collecting X-files and ST:TOS. Now ST:TNG is coming out and B5 looks more likely later this year. I still pick up movies, but not as many as I used to. I guess it could also be because there are no movies coming out on DVD that really intrest me. For example

This month

Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy which is this week

Tron:SE

Buffy

Farscape 10

Febuary

NOTHING-The first time since DVD came out I dont have anything ordred

March

The Last Castle

ST:TNG Season 1

Anyone else have the same thing with the movie drought or is it just crazy ole me :)

2. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

I have to say no, I currently buy X-files and Simpsons. If more shows were available (seinfeld, bilko, happy days, list is endless) then I'd say yes in a big way.
    I'd like to buy Sopranos and Star Trek TNG, but the student loan can't deal with the boxset prices I tells ya [​IMG]

3. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    It's my fervent hope that all those classic movies will not be pushed aside by some godawful sitcom drivel.

Just my personal opinion.

Cheers

4. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Paul-LOL yeah the box sets are expensive, but I have the extra $$ not spent on all the movies i used to buy. Also i didnt buy all of the sets right away. Stargate I didnt get till 4 months after it came out because of a good deal, X-files season 4 I picked up this month even though its been out since Nov. I usually pick them up when there is nothing else to get. ST:TNG is paid for from the selling of the TNG tapes i had :)
    Randy -Which classic movies are coming out in the next 2 months? I just checked to see if i missed something but i didnt see anything. I didnt say i stopped buying movies totally. Just not as much as I used to.
    Capt

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Stunt Coordinator

I've always preferred television series over movies. Not to say that one is better than the other, I just find TV is more involving (which I like). Nonetheless, I still have hundreds of movies on DVD and will continue to buy them.

6. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Joey,
    I'm just fearful that scads of good stuff, even higher profile films (African Queen, Bringing Up Baby, etc.) will not get any factory capacity due to TV shows being pressed.
    Seems to me that TV shows are meant to be seen once and then forgotten (well, except for Star Trek [​IMG] )
    Hopefully, though, there is enough capacity for all...

7. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

the only TV shows that I've bought on DVD so far are the X-Men cartoons, but once the B5 season box sets and the Batman: TAS season box sets start coming out the answer will be yes. [​IMG]

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Even with MY signature, I still buy more films on DVD than TV on DVD.
    Maybe I'm just waiting for those better choices to release to market! [​IMG] May will be cool...
    In the meantime, since we got through watching Sopranos S2 the other day, I dragged my wife kicking and screaming into the town of Twin Peaks, WA tonight. She hates me all over again; she's hooked! [​IMG]

9. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I like the fact that if you ever had a desire to get into a tv series without having to watch one episode per week DVD sets are the best way to do it!

I've considered Twin Peaks lately and Buffy (SMG is just too hot!) to get into and collect. I really enjoy the sets I have and plan on many more!

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Lately that's been true and it may not stop inthe near future. There has'nt bee a whole lot new that I've really wanted.

11. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

TV shows are just getting started.

2002 will be the year of TV on DVD!

Gord

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I love TV on DVD, I love knowing that I can go to the shelf and choose from any of 100 X-Files episodes, or Stargate SG-1, or Buffy, or whatever [​IMG] Wouldn't it be cool for those with big changers, if you could actually program an entire week of programming based on yoru own tastes? [​IMG]

13. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Mash: Season One has to be the best bang for buck on DVD so far. 24 episodes at $25-30 is just alot of entertainment on the cheap.

14. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

3 or 4 of my recent posts have included the comment that it looks like I'll be buying more tv than movies this year. I'm sure that when 2002 rolls to an end, my list will include more movies than tv TITLES, but if I count disc by disc, tv will probably surpass films. Let's see--by then:

Simpsons-11 discs (figuring next 2 seasons 4 discs each)

Buffy-9 discs (figuring 3 each season)

MASH-9 discs (3 each season)

Larry Sanders-3

All in the Family-3 at least

Sex and the City-8 (3 for season 3)

Avengers-16 (guessing what I'll buy)

Fawlty Towers-3

Twin Peaks-6 (?)

That's nearly 50 discs and doesn't include the rumored Xena, Dick Van Dyke, or Babylon 5. Oops...forgot Friends is coming out right. I'm thinking I'll hit well over 100 DISCS (not titles) of tv shows this year.

I love it. Bring on Blossom & CHiPs.

15. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

While I don't keep track looking at my collection I would say I buy way more films than tv shows. However if half of the tv shows that I would like to see released were released I would

1.Be Poor

2.Never Leave My Room

16. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I feel the Tv DVD show releases, there will be alot of drivel and totally incomprehensible choices flooding into the market, elevating alot more recent Tv junk into

"Classic Tv" status, than is really necessary and that there is a market for.

It's creeping in a little already with choices like box sets for "Pink Lady and Jeff" and the "Sid and Marty Croft Collection" or whatever it's titled. The argument can be made for the aforementioned shows' "Pop culture, oddity" .

I think most of this new stuff will be released in the name of Tv networks wanting to increase their own brand identification in the marketplace. All these releases are beginning to fill up the "Special Interest" and "Tv Show" box set shelves at retail outlets lately, but I don't see the justification of putting them out on retail shelves, unless it's meant to just be a tie-in for the Tv Network show. If you wanted it on tape/DVD, you should have taped/TIVO'ed it for yourself anyway...or be able to buy it from a 1-800 number from the blurb at the end of the telecast. It just ain't CLASSIC...in the traditional sense of the word...but that word meaning is being stretched into absurdity.

Alot of these made for Tv "epic" DVD/Video retail releases are also unnecessary when you really think of it. I mean they are subpar quality productions, usually with subpar "C" and "D" list Tv actors...at best...and while they may get a reasonable rating "bump", but Classic Tv Shows that you want to own...I don't think so. The A&E Biography and History Channel DVD's stuff, I really don't see a real need for, unless it's on a mail order status only, with the Tv network. I mean, how many people buy these things ?

While there may be a real audience for Dick Van Dyke, etc., that ain't what's being released is it ?

Something is going on here, than giving the people what they want...and since it's in THEIR hands, we are being reminded that the tail wags the dog in the marketplace and what we want has very little to with it.

17. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Over the last year I’ve noticed a definite bias in favour of TV material as various series start to become available.

Living in the UK is an advantage here as most decent TVs are multi standard, hence I can “dance around the regions” in order to get the most material.

So I have seasons 1-4 of X Files, South Park, seasons 1-3 of Buffy, season 1 of Angel Simpsons, and Mash, all the Avengers released so far, all of TOS of Trek, all of Twilight Zone, all the Doctor Whos so far and all of the ITC material - eg The Saint, Persuaders, Thunderbirds, Capt Scarlet etc. I also have some of the BBC drama gems to have been released in R1 – I Claudius, The Pallisers and the R1 discs of Hornblower. My wife has seasons 1-7 of Friends, and I recently acquired the Artisan Twin Peaks set and the pilot from Hong Kong.

The BBC is now getting up to speed with its releases, and Carlton should be issuing Auf Wiedershen Pet later this year –add on TNG, seasons 5+6 of X Files, 4+5 of Buffy and 2+3 of Angel and its going to be a busy year!

18. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Coming soon to R2:
    Ever Decreasing Circles season one
    Robin of Sherwood season one
    Two more must-owns to the list. [​IMG]
    Damn, this hobby is expensive! [​IMG]
    But there's way more that could be released.........
    On my wish-list (in no particular order): Dad's Army, Hi-De-Hi, Just Good Friends, Tripods series 2, The Adventure Game, The Good Life, The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin, Red Dwarf, Knowing Me Knowing You With Alan Partridge, The Day Today, Yes Minister (the rest of), Yes Prime Minister, Blake's 7, The Box of Delights, Chocky, Bugs, Day of the Triffids... and these are just the British series that I can think of off the top of my head!

19. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Is the EDC release an official BBC release, or one of the dreaded licensed discs? I ask because Granada Plus have been showing the series in the last few months but have taken the scissors to every episode – cutting around 5 mins from each one…

Lets hope the DVD is on a DVD9 and is uncut!

20. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I buy very few TV-shows on DVD. Currently I only have Roughnecks and SE: Lain. I can't really afford to buy 7-disc season sets, so I guess I'll have to wait a while.