Do you ever turn off Progessive for certain DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mitch Stevens, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I popped in "The Abyss" today, and noticed that the picture looked extremely fake and "plastic" looking. Kind of like when you have VSM (or is it SVM?) turned all the way up. When I turned off Progressive scan, I got a smooth film-like image. The DVD player I'm using is a Sony NS-700P with the dreaded chroma bug. TV is a 65" RP Widescreen HD (Mits).

Also, when watching Moulin Rouge, I absolutely HAVE TO turn off progressive, because the movie is covered in "red" colors, and that's when the chroma bug rears it's ugly head. Everything that's red has scanlines through it. As soon as progressive is turned off, the picture looks all smooth and natural.

The Abyss & Moulin Rouge are the only titles that I've had to turn off Progressive Scan for, (but for different reasons).

I was wondering if maybe my DVD player had trouble with the flagging on the "Abyss" disc, or if anyone else had experienced this as well. Do any of you turn off Progressive scan for certain individual titles?

2. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I have a flag reading player so I turn it off for my "Buffy" R1 sets. They are improperly flagged, (shot on film, edited on video...) and comb aplenty....

3. Michael St. Clair

I have a couple of horribly flagged anime titles that even the Faroudja deinterlacer can't keep up with...resulting in combing.

So I put the player in interlaced mode and watch in 960i on my Sony. Fixes the problem.

4. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Mitch,

What DVD player do you have?

I have the Panny rp91 and Moulin Rouge looks great in 480P. I knew that Titanic was improperly flagged (the frame-pairs are wrongly tagged and so the player combines the wrong fields together) and it wouldn't surprise me if a host of other DVDs have this problem too.

Abyss DC may have been edited in the video domain for the extended cut (way back when for laserdisc) and so there might be "issues" there that screw up normal 3-2 pulldown?

-dave

6. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

I have the Panny RP91 as well.

I have never had to turn off the progressive mode for anything.

Titanic looks awsesome zoomed-in. [​IMG]

7. JeanSSullivan

Had tons of problems with buffy's combing and chroma bug with my NS 700p from Sony, now with the XP30 and the FLI2200 chip 98% of my problems are solve.

Want to test Combing, buy Futurama Season 1 or 2. I say that i got maybe a total of 1 minute of combing in Season 2 with the XP30 and i tried the 700p witch was Combing'o'plenty...

8. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I use Panasonic RP-82 for almost everything, in progressive mode, and it seems fine. The only things that don't look good on it are the documentary features, like Laurent Bouzereau stuff, which come with the movies. The video documentaries look fine when showing video interviews, but when they show stills, particularly when the stills are zooming in or out, I get major combing.

What I've discovered is that I can watch these videotaped segments on my Bravo D1, and they look great. I don't know what the Bravo is doing that the RP-82 isn't, but the Bravo doesn't have that Faroudja chip, and I'm connected through DVI.

Anyway, for most things, the RP-82 is superior, but the Bravo does do the video things well.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Abyss did have prints done of DC, it should have been available for full-on telecine.

As I have said in half a dozen other threads: Many interlaced programs (TV/Anime) are stored on DVD progressively to improve storage efficency and compression. Just switch to interlace if you have problems. This is a standard practice, and does a lot more good than harm.

10. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

11. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I own an RP-91, too, and the only discs I've been forced to watch interlaced are South Pacific and Donnie Darko. Both combed horribly on my setup.

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I've been having difficulty with Futurama and Will & Grace. I switch to Interlace, which is a bit of a pain, but it improves the image dramatically.

14. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I have been wanting to get the RP-91 because it doesn't have the horrible chroma bug, but the thing is, that it wouldn't play Moulin Rouge in sync (DTS). So either I keep my player which plays Moulin Rouge perfectly (no DTS problem) or get a player that has trouble playing the movie, even though I would finally be able to watch it in Progressive.

I haven't tried Titanic out yet, but I don't have any problems with "Monster's Inc." and doesn't that have the same sort of flagging?

As for Buffy. My sister and I watched the entire season 4 in progressive, and we never noticed any sort of combing or anything distracting.

15. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Moulin Rouge is one of my wife and my favorite movies. We play it on the RP-91 frequently with DTS and have never noticed a problem with sync.

Maybe we're not looking for it too hard enough, but we haven't seen it.

16. Felix Martinez

17. Felix Martinez

18. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Felix,

you just made me realize:

Are those of you with the Panny rp91 leaving it set to "auto 2" mode most of the time? According to those at AVS who've been providing new firmware updated for the player, Auto2 is the mode that the unit should be left in for the best auto-detection based on film-source material and video content.

so if you're leaving it set primarily to Auto1 mode and noticing problems...be sure to switch to auto2.

I'm sure there are times when "video" mode is the best option...but be sure you're not setting the player to auto1 mode and thinking that's the best performance you'll get accross various content (not sure really what the differences are between auto1 and 2, just repeating what I've been told).

-dave

19. John Macri

John Macri Stunt Coordinator

On non-anamorphic 4:3 concert DVDs, I've always turned progressive off (Panasonic CP67 & Denon 1600) for a sharper, more proportionally accurate picture. Granted, I always view 4:3 material in TW1 "stretched" mode on my Toshiba 50H82 RPTV. For some reason the 50H82 seems to handle 3:2 pulldown better than the Faroudja DCDI-equipped DVD player.

20. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

Yes. I always turn it off when I view Band of Brothers[/B (Panny RP-62). Otherwise, the close captioning does not work and they did not include subtitles.