Do you ever look back on your old posts and wonder what you were thinking?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Kilduff, May 23, 2006.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Sometimes, on the various message boards I post to, I'll use the search feature to look at my old posts. I often find myself thinking "What the Hell was I doing when I wrote this?".

For example, I looked at a thread I started in 2003 about blogs and I was horrifed at what I had written and linked to. It's 3 years later now and a lot has changed in my life, but I still feel disturbed by what I was writing around that time.

So, have any of you ever looked at your older posts and wondered where your head was at?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

All I can do is just improve my writing.

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Never. Everything I have ever written was topical, insightful, witty and true.

I have several PMs requesting I post more often.

Ron has advised mods to seek his permission before deleting threads where I posted. They are often denied.

--
    H

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Haha, yes! Especially since I was about 14-15 years old when I first started posting here.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

That's why I usually think before posting, and only do it if it's something important. I often feel silly reading things I've said or written before, that's why I've never kept a diary or anything like that. When I wrote things in school I wanted them to be good, so I usually didn't look at them at all after writing them. If I did, I'd want to go back and change a lot of things and just end up going nuts.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

I know exactly what you mean. I often wonder the same thing when reading your old posts. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

6. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Even if that was a joke, I can understand why you said it. I have said some wild and crazy things over the years, as well as started a few strange threads (An 80s women tournament and a thread about autistic movie and TV characters come to mind).

Well, onward and upward.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Maybe I should try the 80s women tournament again.

7. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I only second-guess the posts I made when sober. What the hell was I thinking??

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Everytime I hit the submit button, I think "What the hell was I thinking??" [​IMG]

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

What's scary is how many times I see not just posts, but actual papers where I can't even remember writing what is on the page. Recently I came across a binder from college (granted, 12-14 years ago) and it was like discovering an artifact of an unknown author. I recognized my writing but I couldn't even tell you why I had written what was on the page.

Other things that I completely forget can probably be attributed to "stream of consciousness" type writing that I do semi-frequently. Anything from phrases to song lyrics to short stories. Sometimes I find these things, and they clearly weren't written that long ago, but I can't ever remember writing down what's on the page.

10. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Yes

11. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    The better question: do you ever look back on your old posts and wish for a longer "edit message" window? [​IMG]

I used to post often in a Marvel Comics newsgroup years ago. I think I'd rather not go back and read any of that. I wonder how many people can forget running for office because of Google News and the days before the widespread use of X-No-Archive. Seriously. Even if it's not controversial, do I really need the media reprinting my old "Spider-Man vs. Superman" posts?* [​IMG]

Anyway, I've posted stupid stuff that I can remember specifically within the last few months. Some of you would say in the last few minutes, but I can't win them all.

* - I didn't really post anything on that subject, but my Spidey posts were sufficiently geeky.

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Well, I spent my college years ensuring that I can never hold elective office or be appointed to any job that would require confirmation by the United States Senate, so my old internet posts are the least of my worries in that regard. [​IMG]

And John K: My earlier post was a joke. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm 99% sure the stuff I'm posting now will seem stupid as hell to me when I hit 30.

Then that stuff at 35, then again at 40, yatta yatta...

(Did I just say yatta yatta?? Who the hell says yatta yatta!?)

14. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

I can think of a certain Senator who wasn't stopped by any of that. No names, per forum rules. Sad thing is, it's not as obvious as it should be. [​IMG]

I guess it says something for my lack of a life that Usenet postings were my primary disqualifier, though. "Joe can't get nominated, because he wore a lampshade on his head and little else. You can't be nominated, because you posted intricate details about Duke Nukem 3D multiplayer sessions." [​IMG]

Edit: I just found a ten-year-old Usenet post I made to the comics group, and I was actually proud of it. I amuse myself sometimes, if no one else.

15. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I'm not really worried about what I've posted in the past. I promised myself that I would behave in public forums the same way I would behave in real life.

Of course, my behaviour in real life hasn't always been perfect... [​IMG]

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’m guessing that is your sober posts with which I disagree. [​IMG]

17. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Nobody I know, since it is usually spelled and pronouced "yadda-yadda". [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

18. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    All the time. Especially my first few posts here 5 years ago (still a newb, I know). If you google my name, I think HTF is the top returner. Let me check. Yup, the first two. The third is my father. Sucker.

Anyways, I can honestly say I was always right. Even when I changed my mind, the right answer changed with it. Awesome like that.

I wish Holadem would post more often.

19. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Man u guys SUCK!!! 8-{D

OMG!!! WTF?!?!?! LOL!!!

I nevar nevar NEVAR regret what I post cuz im a l33t g33k who's better then you!!

get with the porgram!!! 3ther post with INFINATE WISDOME (like me or DONT POST AT AL!!!

however saes thet thay regert a post DOSENT NO HOW TO GET IT WRIGHT THE FRIST TIME!111

to bad thier arnt more peaple like me.

Oh, wait... There are LOTS of people like me. [​IMG]

It's a good thing they usually don't hang out here. The things you guys regret are the things others don't even know they should be aspiring to achieve.

20. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

He hates the [posts]! Stay away from the posts! Oh NO! MORE POSTS! ...

...Steve Martin..the jerk

which is how I think of myself when I view my own: a babbling idiot.