What's new

Do you ever feel like the biggest couch potato ever? (1 Viewer)

Brent_H

Second Unit
I'm sure some of you have felt at one time or another that your love of film puts you on the couch for several hours a day. Right now I am in school and don't study a lot or have class for more than a couple hours a day, so the rest of the time I spend watching DVD's or TiVo'd stuff. I love it. It's my hobby of course, but other people I know think I am just lazy and should do something better with my time. I guess what I'm looking for is some encouragement. My major is Television Production and my minor is in Film Studies, so I like to use the excuse that I am "studying" while watching whatever, cause I am going in to that field.

When I'm at home though, there's not much else I would rather do. I love music, but hate sitting and just listening to music. I like to read but everytime I start reading I think about how I would rather be plopped in front of my 16:9. I really don't have any other interests. I guess this is just a thread for others to weigh in on the dilemma that is: Am I watching this much tv/film because I love it or because I'm really just lazy and don't feel like doing anything else? hahah ok...bring on the comments.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Hmmm... there are days when I find that I just want to plop down and watch movies or tv on dvd, but to do it all the time, I can't see doing. I stay pretty busy though. I usually watch tv in the evening or on the weekends, but never really during the day.

You say that you don't have any other hobbies or interests, but do you not like to hang out with other people or go places? What about getting out of the house to meet other people? Join a book group or something, maybe a movie discussion group or a film group that meets up to watch things together.

Maybe you're just a homebody (nothing wrong with that) and just prefer to spend time alone watching tv.

I guess I just feel that everyone needs other stimulations now and again.... it's good to get out and do other things. Is health an issue for you, do you work out? I know some couch potatoes who really have mastered the art of doing nothing and let me tell you their health has become an issue.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

You'd know that better than anyone else, I'd imagine?

I love watching TV and movies. I also love listening to music. If I was forced to do those three things all day, every day for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be too unhappy. :)

/Mike

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I had a G13 that was pure "couchlock" and just brutal with the "munchies." Pure Indica strains will do that to you and it's not always unwelcome. Try a more sativa strain for reading, grocery shopping, listening to music etc.

Brent_H

Second Unit
Lanie--

Well, I was working full-time and going to school part-time but I got into a car accident that pretty much forced me to quit my job. I'm okay enough to do most things, just not a lot of physical activity. Lifting, bending, twisting, etc. I am healthy and in good shape, so thats not an issue. In January I will be going to school full-time, so that will get me out a lot more too. I have some social anxiety which I am overcoming that isn't helping to the process of me getting out more either :) Also, my two really good friends moved away in the last month and my girlfriend moved back home for awhile....so friends aren't at my disposal much anymore. lol

Anyways, a film discussion group sounds like something that would be fun...where's a place to find out about that stuff? I have never really scene or heard about that going on around here, but it must be.

Maybe I just see this as my last real chance in my life to be a total slacker. Live at home, go to school, sit around. After college the real world happens and you can't be a lazy bum anymore. heh

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Well, since you're in film studies, I think that would be the first logical step. Start talking to the other students and instructors.
Or perhaps your local mom and pop type DVD rental stores.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Well, I work at night, so weekends are a little rough. I have to switch my schedule around and have ZERO energy. I hardly left the house this past weekend and it always feels like such a waste :frowning:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
it's all about balance man (and i'm not talking to zen-bro here).

you have a lot of free time right now, so spend it the way you want. it does sound like once you go to school full-time, you'll have less free time on your hands, so worry about it then.

if you should be studying, going to classes, etc -- but you're blowin' it off to watch tv .... *then* you have an issue.

---

side note, even though i have a family, a full-time job, and a part time job, i sometimes feel i watch too much tv. especially if i have a full day off. what i've personally decided to do is challenge myself with side projects; home repair, reading a challenging book (i'm reading one hundred years of solitude right now), eating better, etc.

i guess what i'm saying is if you're feeling funky about watching so much tv, there's plenty of other things you can do (even on your own) to take over tv-time.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I'm a radio-TV-film student and I'm about to go on a trip, so I was browsing the various bookstores. I found that I wasn't really drawn to the film books, and that I wanted a break from film, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks