Do you ever feel guilty about starting a thread and then have nothing to say?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    What I mean is, you start a thread and then someone replies and answers your question, then you have nothing else to say.
    I feel like people will be reluctant to post in a thread I start because I really fear I have a reputation for not coming back in again. I know i'm just being silly, at least I HOPE I am. [​IMG]
    I don't mean for this to happen, but I go sometimes a couple of days with checking in, but believe me, when I do log back on I check my thread/s immediatly, so I do read them.
    I guess what i'm trying to say is, just because I don't post again in a thread I start, doesn't mean I don't care. [​IMG]
    Anyone else feel this way?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Sometimes, I go to post a reply and find that I have
    [​IMG]

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Nope.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

5. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Jack,
    i've been sitting here for the past 5 minutes trying to figure out what you meant in your post, could you please enlighten me? I think i'm missing something.

I think that most of the members here don't mind if the original author of a thread doesn't come back in, I mean if the thread breaks off into it's own little sub-discussions the members have fun just talking amongst themselves, they don't need my input anymore to keep the thread alive.

Keep in mind that this is not always the case, I do post again in a majority of the threads I start, but I feel bad when I don't have anything else interesting to add to the discussion anymore, particullarly when i'm the author of the topic.

I don't want to post just for the sake of posting if you know what I mean.

6. Jack Briggs

Sorry, John! Didn't read you correctly. But I don't think you should ever feel guilty about posting and starting a thread. That is, you started a conversation--people are talking!--and you should be happy. Be content the Forum is stirring, is all. Sorry if I seemed flip. Didn't mean it that way. [​IMG]

7. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Thanks Jack. I didn't take your post as flip, I simply didn't understand what you meant is all, it was kind of enigmatic. [​IMG]

8. Jack Briggs

But I am an ... enigma. [​IMG]
    My then wife heard that line on a cheesy nighttime television soap opera once back in 1982, and she kept repeating that line to me during the spring. Always with a smile on her face. Way back when.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's okay unless it begins to look like a pattern of trolling. [​IMG]

10. Ryan Donovan

Ryan Donovan Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, sure. Well, not that I do that often, I mean...actually, I've only started one thread in my stay here at the HTF so far, and it turned out to be redundant (the topic already had a thread devoted to it, and whatnot). Only one other person besides me replied (well, two, if you count the person who told me that I was beaten to the punch), and I never tried to start a conversation...I was trying to let that thread die off and go to the back pages. I'm not sure if that was rude of me or whether I had a sudden burst of normalcy and did what I was supposed to do for once, so...
    ...Umm, what the heck was I saying again?
    Oh yeah: an English muffin is neither a muffin, nor English, when you think about it. [​IMG][​IMG]