1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you do what you studied to do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshF, Oct 2, 2002.

1. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I'll start.

I studied Political Science in both undergraduate and graduate school.

I thought I wanted to be a professor and wanted to teach Poli Sci. I then went to graduate school at University of Chicago. I worked closely with a professor and mentor, and realized that wasn't the career I wanted.

I took a job as editor of an online magazine, went through the whole Internet boom & bust, and now I now co-own a small web agency in NYC.

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i went to school and earned a degree in sociology. i'm now a child welfare social worker for the state of alabama department of human resources. so i guess i did actually end up doing what i went to school for. i'm thinking of going back to earn a master's in counseling though.

kevin t

3. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

UC Berkeley Political Science undergraduate. Currently working for my father vending company.[​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I obtained a B.S. in chemistry from Penn State in 1992. After my freshman year at Penn State, I knew that I would be best off if I went for my Ph.D., so I made the commitment back then to go straight to graduate school after completing my undergraduate degree. I obtained a Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1997 and am now working for a specialty chemical company. This is my second job since graduate school. If you had asked me two years ago if I was doing what I set out to do, I would have said no. My first job out of graduate school was not at all what I expected it to be. The work was mind-numbing, and the company has no vision. People there have jobs, not careers. I worked there for awhile to get some experience and then moved on. Now I can honestly say that I am doing the kind of work I have always wanted to do. I have found the right job. [​IMG]

5. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

I got my BS in Aero/Astro Engineering and now I work on software requirements and verification testing ... blech. At least it's for the Shuttle's cockpit upgrade.

6. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I got an MIS degree and while I'm sort of working in my field, it is not what I ever intended to do. I am an IT auditor, but I went to school with the intention of being a sys admin or something directly related to computers. Currently I am in more of a business process oriented position.

7. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

Got my undergrad in Real Estate and had aspirations of becoming an appraiser.
    I now work in the IT [​IMG]
    Todd B

8. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I have a B.S. in Computer Science and I've been working as a Programmer for 14 years. I still love it![​IMG]

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

BS in Computer Science, still doing software design/development. I never thought I'd be doing SQL/database work as opposed to procedural or object-oriented work, though.

And if you'd told me while I was still in high school and college that my primary programming language as a professional would be a BASIC variant, I would never have believed you. I mean, BASIC was like Logo, a nice way to learn technique but nowhere near sophisticated enough for actual development work.

Of course, I would dearly love to find something else. Dot-Net was pretty much the last straw for me; I can't must enough interest to keep current in the industry.

10. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Only have a High School diploma and wanted to work in a trade after HS, I am currently a Machinest working for my dad's small business. It's just me and him in a perfect enviorment with perfect hours and solid pay.[​IMG]

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yep. English honors students have a pretty narrow focus. So instead of working for a living I became a writer and editor. Currently an editor at a Los Angeles-based daily legal journal, and I do a lot of freelance writing.

12. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

Got my Associates Degree. Then I Hit the Job Market. I never thought I'd be doing what I am doing. Love my Job.

13. Jonas Pearson

Jonas Pearson Stunt Coordinator

Started at Penn State in 1990 as a biology major, switched to undeclared (knew I wanted to work in the sciences, but not in what regard). Decided in 1993 that I wanted to be a pharmacist, transferred to Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science and graduated with a B.S. in Pharmacy in 1996. Currently working on a M.S. in Pharmaceutics at Temple University at night while working in research and development for a major pharmaceutical company.

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I studied Physics and math and squeezed in as many literature and writing courses as possible. If I were doing it all over I’d reverse the emphasis (major in English) and squeeze in the math and science courses.
    I’ve never worked a day in any of those fields—always worked in IT (though we did not call it that, then).
    I don’t really think it matters what you study (except for some specialized, areas such as engineering and accounting), as the purpose of undergrad programs ought to be to get one to think and reason properly (this view presented by the “Advancement of Liberal Arts Society”). [​IMG]

15. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I got a BS in math, a MS in Math, and a MS in Statistics. I'm a statisician for a pharmaceutical company.

I didn't think I'd be doing this when I was an undergraduate, but I decided I like more upper level math and stats so I wanted to study that stuff. I know, I'm a geek. So yes, I am doing what I studied. I like my job.

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineer.

--
    Holadem

17. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Got my degree in Geology. Managing the office and the finance for a small photo studio now.

Chris

18. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

J.D., and am a practicing attorney. So yep, I do what I studied to do.

19. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I studied to become a physical therapist but when I was about 90% done with my degree and was putting in my 100 hours or so of required Volunteer/work study time I decided I didnt enjoy it. (wich I would have figured it out earlier). Went into computer which was something that I have always enjoyed and have not looked back. Love what I do and I get great high speed access all day long. [​IMG]
    KyleS

20. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

JD, practicing law. I left private practice a year ago though and now am working for the Department of Revenue, but still as an attorney, so I figure that counts. [​IMG]