What's new

Do you bypass your sub if given the chance? (1 Viewer)

Mark Yatchak

Agent
I have a 49TX which is capable of bass management. I also have a Energy 12 ES which gives me the option to use the subs internal crossover or bypass it. I have always used the subs crossover, set the speakers in the 49 to small and crossover at 80 and dialed the sub to 100. (which is as high as it goes) I have heard it may be best to not filter the bass twice, as I am doing now. I did try to bypass the sub but for some reason the dB reading will not go below 100dB, everything else is at 75dB and I can't turn it down, it's as low as it will go in the receiver menu. My speakers are B&W CDM1 SE which have a frequency response of 65Hz - 20KHz +3dB on axis. I don't understand the numbers but know it is relevant to crossover. What do you think?

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Mark - I do not know your sub's or reciever's charateristics or controls, but after years of futzing this is how I calibrate:

I use the bass management of the reciever to set the crossover point and bypass the sub's bass management. For calibration I set the reciever output near (often below) 0db and use the sub's amp for final SPL measurement refinement. This way I have some easier options - any further calibration can be made just at the sub amp and any effect settings (hot for HT and softer for music) can be automatically set in my reciever so a source change doesn't require anything special.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks