What's new

Do you buy older Blu-ray discs or do you wait for a possible UHD release? (1 Viewer)

CinemaHouse86

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff House
These days if I like a movie enough to own it on disc I will add it to my library with the best available format at the time I add it. If it eventually gets a 4K release, I will evaluate whether I like it enough to upgrade from Blu-Ray to 4K.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I'm running out of space for discs therefore I'm very picky about my purchases. In the last year they have been mainly Warner and Criterion releases that have superior and/or latest transfers. I have crates of culled DVDs in the basement and I'm not replacing my best fullscreen DVDs. I have found some gems like the Don't Look Now and La Dolce Vita Paramount Blu-ray releases. I'm also streaming more, there are some excellent Warner films to purchase inexpensively at Prime. I've been waiting for the Paramount Presents Vanilla Sky Blu-ray to drop in price for a year, this morning I found out I can stream a 4K version from the same transfer! So it's a mix of don't replace, replace with superior transfer and streaming!!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I still buy older BluRays on occasion, but those days are close to being over. I’m starting to feel that what I have in my collection I won’t have time for to watch all of the films on a regular basis, and I also have space issues, so I’ll now wait for a UHD, or maybe buy a new film.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Definitely something I've been bashing my head against lately. I have held off buying new releases if I thought there was a good chance of a 4K disc coming down the pipe, and I was definitely rewarded for my patience with Malignant. But for older films? A lot of the "lesser" cult stuff like kung fu movies are things that I've just went ahead and purchased blu ray imports of because they took so long to see an HD release in some form, and now I'm wondering if that'll bite me in the butt as I see the Chan/Hung/Biao flick Dragons Forever will be getting an upgrade maybe, what, a year after it was put out on blue?

I guess I'll just play it by ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks