Do you buy books

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Holadem, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Or do you borrow them? If you buy, what is your strategy?

Hardcover or Paperback?

New or used?

Online or offline? Where?

How often?

Any cost saving tips?

Thanks.

--
    Holadem

2. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I buy hardcover books for the most part as I like the feel of a nice big book on my lap while I'm reading and the cover doesn't get as ratty as paperback books, but I also in part buy paperback books for vacations and trips and just give them to my friends when I'm done reading it. If it was a good book I go and buy the hardcover of it later for my library.
    I buy most of my books at Borders. (I like the cafe' there [​IMG] )
    As far as cost saving tips go I frequently find books that are 20 percent off at Borders. I don't buy any books online as I when I see a book that I fancy in the store I want it right then and there and go ahead and purchase it.
    There is also a book store here called Half Price Books that sells both new and used books that I occasionally visit where the cost of books are significantly less than that of other book stores, however, they don't have any of the "newest" books that I tend to seek out.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Yes to all the questions, other than money saving tips. For that try used bookstores and garage and rummage sales, where bargins on good and obscure books can often be found. and in many communities, the Junior League has an annual book sale. This is really good, as there are often very fine books, well cared for in these sales.

Books are so important to my wife and me, that we have a library in our home, but no, dedicated room for home theatre. And at that there are books and bookshelves in every other room of the house. And a lot of books in boxes in the garage.

One of the reasons that I don’t get any comments on buying yet another DVD, when we have a good many that I’ve not yet viewed.

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I buy books, Hardcover only...they look much better on the shelf. I'm a member of the Literary Guild (similar to BMG's Music Club, only for books). Typically, the hardcover editions are only $13-15 and it's a pretty good deal. I get 90% of my books though the Literary Guild because mostly I just read mainstream fiction and biographies, which they carry in abundance. For my other, obscure titles, I'll go to Borders or Barnes and Noble. Great selection at those places.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I buy them, which is really stupid because there's a library about a block and a half away from my apartment. I do most of my shopping at bookstores, but that's because I live in Harvard Square and have several good bookstores within easy walking distance.

I buy on-line occasionally, but only when there's a big price savings (Amazon sold Tom Clancy's latest for something like $13 in hardcover). Browsing is just too much fun - and besides, I've got discount cards for both Pandemonium (sci-fi) and Wordsworth (everything else).

For cost savings, the remainder shelf at Borders or Barnes & Noble is your friend. Hardcover books that have been sitting on the shelves unsold for 6+ months, generally in perfect condition, for paperback prices.

I like hardcovers, and there are a few authors I'll buy in hardcover just so that the shelf lines up nicely, but a lot of the sf I read either doesn't get a HC release or is catalog titles. Besides, sf has a disturbing tendency toward the multi-volume series, and getting them in hardcover would be painful. Also, I can't understand buying mysteries in hardcover (indeed, mysteries are why libraries exist).

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I buy a lot of books.
    I prefer hardcovers and try to get them when I can, but I won't pass up a good trade paperback (or even mass market) if that's the only way to get it. I generally avoid book club editions as I've found they do not generally indicate if they are printed on acid-free paper. I want a book to last, which is the reason I try to get most stuff in hardcover. Unfortunately, most hardcovers today feature a glued-in binding like a paperback. Some small presses still have sewn-in bindings and you can sure see the difference in quality.
    For the new and non-obscure, I usually order at Amazon or buy it at the local B&N if I'm feeling impatient.
    For the obscure, I usually order directly from the publishing house.
    For the OOP, I've found that www.abebooks.com is the answer to all my prayers and sacrifices. I always buy the book I'm looking for in the best possible shape. Sometimes I get lucky and find a "As New" book at one dealer listed for way less than a "Good" copy somewhere else.
    I've also resorted to google searches a couple of times (just try finding Shoggoth Cacciatore and Other Eldritch Entrees at your regular used book stores) with good results.

7. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

You're in NYC right? Check out the strand, 12+Broadway, best place to buy books.

8. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I buy and borrow.

Borrowing:
    Mostly older titles, though a small collection of more recent titles are also available on a regular basis from the library. (They even have DVDs including many Criterions yay.)

Buying:
    Usually, I get paperback, though everyday, bargain racks at Chapters and Indigo (the two big book stores in Canada owned by the same company) have some excellent deals on hardcovers too.

Joining a rewards club goes a long way to saving money. In Canada, the Chapters-Indigo's IRewards program allows me to save 10% on all book purchases at any Chapters, Indigo, and Coles bookstores, and to a lesser extent, accumulate points.

You can get some very good deals online. Before last Christmas, I bought the complete Harry Potter four-book paperback giftset for the online-only price of $36.26 CDN (regularly about $50 CDN).

Also, at the time, Chapters-Indigo was offering free shipping on orders over $39. Naturally, I bought an additional book to take advantage of this.

9. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I buy books. Hardcover, paperback, doesn't matter to me. Where do I buy? Anywhere and everywhere they're sold.

10. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I also buy everything I read. Most locally, but some online, mostly amazon.

In general most of what I buy are in paperback, as I don't really "collect" books like I collect movies.

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I buy mostly hardcovers. Best prices on new releases are at Costco, Sam's Club, or BJ's Wholesale Club. Generally 40-50% off list price. Barnes & Noble is good for bestsellers (used to be 40% off titles on NYT bestseller lists). Most other B&M chains offer fairly limited discounts off list price, and the on-line stores are only marginally better especially once you add shipping costs back in.

If you're a patient sort, you can wait until the books show up on remainder shelves, where they're generally about 75% off list and should be mostly like new. I'm doing this with the latest books by Anne Rice and Tom Clancy. I still have lots of their books to read, so there's no point in paying to buy the latest book when it comes out. I'll wait a few months and get the hardcover for $5.99.

I love to browse in used book stores. Generally lots of good condition books to be found. And they're great for filling holes in the collection of any "favorite authors."

12. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    I buy every thing I read, almost. I lean strongly toward used bookstores, but if I see something I want, I'll buy anywhere. I generally read 2-5 books a week, so if I only bought hardcover, I'd soon be buried. (Not to mention the negative impact that would have on my DVD purchases.)

13. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I buy textbooks almost exclusively from Half.com, and at about 40-50% savings from buying them at the on-campus crookstore. When it comes time to selling them back...Half.com yet again; and I usually get back what I paid for them, give or take a few dollars. I just laugh when I see the amount of kids who still buy textbooks at the university bookstore, and sell them right back to the university for about 30% what they paid for them...money down the drain.

I search for all my books on addall.com; that search engine has been 99% accurate for me in finding the cheapest books online.

14. Rain

Rain Producer

I always buy the books I want.

I usually go for the soft cover. They are easier to handle (do alot of reading on the bus and such) and cheaper!

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I've been buying used via the online vendors that tie together used bookstores around the country. As I buy mostly non-fiction, and all too often OOP titles, this is the only way to go. Recently got the Winston Churchill WWI history "The World Crisis" which has been OOP since around 1930 that way. My attitude is that the world is strange enough, so why invent fiction?

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Since my thirst for reading has come back, I have decided to get started on a life long dream: To have a whole library like my father several years from now - hence the original post.
    Years ago I got started on that "project" as a teenager, but had to leave everything back home when I immigrated.
    I still haven't decided on the paperback vs hard cover issue. I guess we will see [​IMG]

17. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I love books, so I always buy. I prefer hard cover books, so thats what I get if possible.
    I also colect old books and i mean old books, they are so wonderful, there is nothing like a good condition 300 year-old-book [​IMG]

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I buy hardcover and paperback I don't discriminate, a book is a book.[​IMG]
    If its a brand new novel that I can't wait to read than I buy the hardcover, but usually if I spot a paperback with some flashy cover it's mine! I bought all of Dale Brown's thriller paperbacks in one splurge, because I loved the (UK) covers, I even read some of them.[​IMG]
    I've bought many old second-hand books over the years, some quite rare like 'Forbidden Planet' the novel and 'This Island Earth' the movie tie-in, both 1950's paperbacks.
    At last count I had over 1800 fiction books, collected over 25years.
    Nearly half of them science fiction.

19. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

For deals, you can also check out the local library. My library system regularly sells off old books and has a huge book sale once a year. Not all books will be in mint condition, but you can't beat paperbacks for .25 and hardbacks for .50.

20. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I almost always buy my books online now. Amazon.ca (the Canadian version) is a godsend!
    I don't like buying books at Chapters or Indigo, because the prices are insanely high, and their in-store selections have gone downhill over the years.
    I do like hanging around the bookstore though. Grabbing a hardcover book without a jacket and plonking down in the loveseat next to an open (natural-gas) fire is pretty nice...and I like having people (I mean attractive females) come up to me and asking me what I'm reading, so I can give them an earful on this wonderful book that the bookstore doesn't carry. [​IMG]
    Oh, and the bargain shelves are nice in bookstores though...good way to find OOP books for dirt cheap. Found David Brin's "Transparent Society" that way.
    My book collection exceeds my DVD collection 2 to 1 now...that's nearly 400 books, mostly non-fiction!