Do You Build "Friends" Systems?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I seem to be losing patience helping others helping others. To me, it becomes a long-range exercise in futility, unless you just like to breeze about stuff.

There was the guy who wanted to help his friend spend $80,000 for a Media Room in the $1.5M addition in the upscale Palos Verde area in Southern California.
    Then there's the *help me stop my friend from buying B*OSE*
    Then there are the newbie helpers-out who wanta give advice to *a friend's system* Sometimes I wonder whose system it is.

Dont all these end users go their own merry way at the end of everything?

Of course, you can't be hard on those asking for easy A/V *for my dad* and other sincere advice-askers.

Am I just getting more cynical in my old age?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Bill, pop open a beer and kick back. Think of it this way: You're the one they all come to because you have the credentials.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Maybe they confuse you with JOE KANE of Banned From The Ranch Video.....[​IMG]

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i give advice to friends about components when they ask. i have to remember, tho, that no matter what advice i give someone, they're gonna buy whatever the hell they want. i don't know how many times i've said "check out model a and model b, but stay away from model x" only to have them come home with model x saying "the salesman said it was the best one".

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I offer advice, and most of my friends know to ask me for it.

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

phil, you are an advice guru[​IMG]
    I sorta was thinking about these third-party postings on HTF: Help me help "my neighbor" build his system.
    I am as willing as anyone to spend time, make a connection, with someone to achieve their goals of hook-up and settings. If they say thanks, that's a bonus.
    I find it more difficult to make an online connection with someone who's helpinfg someone down the street, who in all likelihood, wont even take it the advice and usually will go cheap.

7. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I don't know if this really applies to what you are talking about,but The one thing I really love is I have done numerous work for someone I know, & they always praise my work when its done, but than two days later she comes back saying well (I don't know if I like this like this anymore & this guy that I told you I didnt trust said I should of done this instead of that?) She always has me do something than I ask her if that is what she wonts & of course I always get ( Oh ya its perfect ) but back again she comes. I finally got tired of the games & flat out told her how it was & if she wonted every other persons opion on how they would have done something than let them do it & leave me alone.

Sorry if this didn't fit in here it just popped in my head. But for the second party advice I think its more of a I'm scared to ask so I cover it with ( hay is my friends set up crap what do I do ) Or the ones I love is ( Oh no I'm not buying these Jensen speakers for myself there for my little brother ) than they go on to tell you they have the best of the best there is to get.
    I cant stand people like this, I would rather hear them say hay its what I can afford can you help me make it a little better.

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

9. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Forgive me Father, for I am living within my means....

I have an Apex DVD player, an 8 year old 27" Proscan TV with overscan problems, and my old JVC Pro-Logic receiver died a year and a half ago and I still haven't replaced it.

I live in an apartment right now so until I purchase a house, new components will have to wait.

10. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

People Find out where I work. And of course I hear the Ever Popular "Can you Hook Me Up?" It takes them A while to recover after I tell them how Much Our DVD player Goes for.

But for the most part I like Helping people out when It comes to Systems. They Listen to what I have to say about why they should go with System "X" and Not System "B". Then I Bring them Over My place to show them what a Really good system sounds like. Infact I am going Over my Girlfriends Boss' House to spec. out a system for his basement. Again he heard what I do for a living and........ Boom.

11. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Come on what do you do?... Do you drive a white van around all day?[​IMG]
    I get the same crap all the time. "Why don't you put your discount on that?!?"
    "If I buy that system will you come hook it up for me?"
    It's always no. I have been offered upwards of 60 dollars an hour. I probably should have done it.

12. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I will recommend and/or hook up systems for my parents and my in-laws. Everyone else can kiss my butt! I'm also very tired of spending time researching things for people only to have them do exactly what I recommended against [​IMG]

13. Mark C Sherman

ADIL look on my profile so you can see were I work.

14. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Oh, can you h... help me out [​IMG]?
    When I do help friends, I ask their budget and am blunt about what they can expect used. In the end it's their choice, but I will not research it for others under most circumstances. I toss out help always w/ a big IMO in front of everything and I always tell people there are lots of answers and not one best one, unfortunately and fortunately.

15. Mark C Sherman

I just checking to see when I can get an appointment for a hair cut and the Owner wanted me to take a look around to see what was possible. It Never Ends but I Love it.

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Bill, I don't build friends' systems, but I make recommendations and get them in touch w/ a dealer who gives them good prices (if they carry the stuff they are interested in).

BTW, how's the weather in Mo-town? My parents are still there...

17. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Carlo, nice to hear you remember your folks[​IMG]
    75 deg and Fair. Wind Calm but yesterday gusty! Fall is a'comin...