What's new

Do you bi-wire your B&W? (1 Viewer)

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Do you bi-wire your B&W speakers, especially for CDMs? I know, it's one of the most controversial topics and I don't intend to start a war. I just want to hear from those who tried to bi-wire their B&Ws and their opinion on it. Thanks.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Yes, I do. I have heard contriversy over this, yet B&Ws own site mentions that it has its benefits.

be prepared to hear all kinds of dis-agreements on this topic

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I recently bi-wired my mains and center (603S2/CC6) just to see for myself if there was any improvement/change. I didn't notice any difference at all.

--Steve

Jim_F

Screenwriter
When I biwired my 602 S2s with some extra cable which I had collecting dust in the basement, I thought I heard a subtle improvement. Whether it was real or imagined or if it was only due to doubling the conductor didn't matter to me. It was free.

When I upgraded to N805s, I just went ahead and bought some modest biwire cables on Audiogon.

My minimal understanding of electricity leads me to believe that it shouldn't do much of anything, and probably not anything audible, but, again, it doesn't matter to me. It's recommended by the manufacturer, and since I'm not one to buy thousand dollar cables, the expense is zero to minimal.

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
I do not bi-wire my 7NT's, but I'm driving them with a Yamaha 793. First things first (ie, first a decent amp, then I'll consider bi-wiring).
Joe

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
One thing I didn't mention in my original reply: In my opinion, unless someone is using some really "high-end" (read: Expensive) cable, I think it's a worthwhile experiment. One way or the other, you'll end up with a piece of mind and know right where you stand on the whole bi-wire debate.
--Steve

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Intend to bi-wire my 602's when I get them. It cost me "double" t wire my entire room this way so I'm going to use the damn wire. Does it make a difference? I haven't a clue, but I didn't want to alway WONDER if it would, so I figured I would bite the bullet.

As an added bonus, if someday they come out with some other surround process with 12 speakers I'm set! Since I could use the other pair of wire for another set of speaker :). I only ran 1 run of speaker wire in the rear for a 6.1 setup, but I could not bi-wire the rear surround and have 7.1.

At least it keeps your options open.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Yes, I'll be biwiring my CDM1NTs as soon as I finalize my setup. It's a pain to wire and rewire, pull the amp out, etc. So when I wire in my surrounds, that will be the time to biwire.

I figure it's not much expense to try it out since I'm using "cheap" Sound King 12awg wire and bananas.

Bob

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I bi-wire my B&W 602S2's with Canare Star Quad. At the very least it gives me a net guage of 11, looks great, and doesn't adversely affect the sound. I, along with my my wife (who really doesn't give a rip-dip), think (you could say imagine if you want to) that we hear subtle differences in imaging and tightness in bass from bi-wiring. No, it wasn't a double-blind test, and no, I don't plan on conducting one. I have about $73 including connectors in my front three cables, so count me happy! :)
My $.02

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I think that biamping the B&W's would create much more of a perceivable effect than Biwiring. Remember, biwiring was created from an error someone made while trying to biamp.

RajeeK

Second Unit
I have my front's and center biwired. I use Sound King OFC 12 Gauge copper wire and custom made my cables. Do I notice a difference, honestly no, but good basic 12ga copper wire is pretty cheap so I went ahead and did it. Now for the sides and rears, that many feet of biwiring can get a bit pricey so I don't biwire those. BTW, I have CDM's all around. If ya got extra cable around go for it.

Rob_Z

Grip
Why on earth would B&W go through the trouble and expense of creating those bi-wire inputs if it doesn't make any difference? I'm bi-wiring, just in case.

RajeeK

Second Unit
Why on earth would B&W go through the trouble and expense of creating those bi-wire inputs if it doesn't make any difference?
Many "audiophiles" practically demand it in their speakers. That being said, B&W would alienate those people if they didn't offer that option. It also gives people options to biwire, biamp and so on.

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
I've been biwiring for years with my HTM1 center, 804s main and (802s - biwired, but not biamped for dedicated stereo use) Though obviously the recommendation from B+W helps, I've been able to subtly and subjectively discern some improved imaging and spatial dimensionality to the sound/ music. I do suspect that unless you're biamping, which would offer an obvious advantage (I had intended to do that), a preference for biwiring is a subjective experience.

Mike Main

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I just biwired my front 7nts but not the center (not yet). Yes there is a difference. I was using some regular monster wire and upgraded to Alpha Core MI2 copper python biwired. Really brought out more bass!!! And overall sharpen things up. Im very happy. I dont feel like biwiring the rear CDM 1nts cause it would be too much work but 1 day Ill be bored enuf to do so. So my advice would definitely DO IT
Mike :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Larry B

Screenwriter
My Thiel CS6s do not allow biwiring, so that solved the problem for me.

For those considering biwiring, it is worth noting that some feel that for any given budget, better improvements will be gained from single-wiring with higher quality cable (rather than than bi-wiring with cheaper cables). Of course, this presumes that there are sonic differences in wires which, as we all know, is a controversial topic.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks