What's new

Do you believe that WS is making ANY headway AT ALL with Joe and Jane? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I believe that it is. Compared to 5 years ago when dvd launched, yeah, I believe so.
It's just a feeling I get whenever I walk into places like Best Buy and see quite a few people standing in line or browsing the dvd ailes with the WS editions of Spider-man or The Fellowship of the Ring in their hands.
In fact, when I bought my copy of 'LotR' some months ago, no less then 4 guys were seeking out the WS edition of that film and passing over the FS editions. We got to talking while waiting in line and they said that they would never watch this film in FS. I looked and the FS rack had quite a number of copies still sitting their, while the WS rack was half gone. Needless to say it felt really good to see that. :)
I believe that the acceptance for OAR has already began, very SLOWLY, but it's started I think.
Let's keep chipping away.

Len Simons

Agent
In the long run, it's a moot point. It won't be long before all new TV's sold in this country will be, like most of Europe, 16x9. The people who complain today about those black bars on the top & bottom of the screen will start complaining about the bars on the sides of their screen. And the rest will enjoy having their screens filled by those beautiful enhanced 16x9 presentations. But in the SHORT run, it scares the hell out of me. I'm all for choice, as long as it's informed choice. If one knows what the difference is and still chooses full screen, fine. What concerns me is that I've yet to encounter anyone who, once presented with the facts, still chooses full screen. But with the big non-electronic retailers stocking only full screen versions when there are two available (K-Mart, some Wal-Marts, drug store chains, CompUSA, etc), it feels like I'm losing my freedom of choice.

I can't wait until the sales of widescreen sets overtakes 4x3.

Len

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say not really. When I see Best Buy's ad pushing Spiderman in "fullscreen" with "also available in widescreen" in small type, I think we're losing the battle, slowly but surely. The more players Wal Mart sells to Middle America, the more we lose. Sure, there are plenty of people among that group who understand and buy widescreen, but the vast majority, I fear, do not.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
OAR isn't doomed. As long as there are people who want it, it'll be available on (almost) every widescreen title that comes to DVD. The studios (even Disney) aren't stupid enough to regress back to complete, exclusive use of 4:3 pan-and-scan on DVD, when 4:3 TVs will be completely obsolete within ten years. Just think about it...

Brenton

Screenwriter
There will always be "screen-fillers", but I do believe that more people are accepting widescreen. Then again, there are so many people who just don't care one way or another.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

In fact, when I bought my copy of 'LotR' some months ago, no less then 4 guys were seeking out the WS edition of that film and passing over the FS editions. We got to talking while waiting in line and they said that they would never watch this film in FS.
----------------------------

John, you seem to be suggesting that the 4 guys are regular Joes. When in reality they could be members of HTF or other HT/DVD forums.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Yes. It will just take time because there is NOTHING out there educating them.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
I had a customer the other day that was shopping for an HD tv and asked what will happen with all the full screen DVD movies we've been buying. I told them that they may want to start buying the widscreen versions or they will have either streched out people or bars. They seemed to see the light.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
hehe, yeah, that could very well be the case Reginald. They struck me as being big followers of Tolkien and just wanted to watch the film the way it was meant to be, the way they no doubt saw in theaters.
It also makes me feel comfortable when I see a whole group of people browsing the dvd rows, especially if they have a whole bunch of dvd's in hand, while the vhs rows are pretty much a ghost town.
I know that all that means is that dvd has achieved mass penitration, but I like to think that at least a few of those people know what they're buying and like it.
Good Lord listen to me, i'm giving Joe six pack the benifit of the doubt! What's the world coming to! ;)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I do my best to educate customers when they complain about my store carrying predominately WS DVDs. Most shrug it off like 'what does he know he's just a kid'. Some see the light.
Story Time
A customer wanted to rent a VHS copy of the Godfather Part Two. I showed her where they were. She picked up the Modified and Letter-Boxed editions and asked what the difference was and I explained. She put the Modified version back on the shelf and said 'I guess this (LB) is the one I want then, right?'
So you see, some people get it.;)

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I wish I thought that there was progress being made in this area, but I don't see it. Increased consumer education will help to a certain degree but will not change the tide to OAR presentations. In my view, there is a percentage(maybe a large percentage)who, after being fully eduacated, still want only one thing...TO HAVE THEIR 4:3 TV SCREENS FILLED. They just don't care about the integrity of film as an art form, don't appreciate composition so, therefore, don't care about losing 30-50% of the picture. When more poeple start to buy widescreen TV's, people will not necessarily trade-in/sell all their "full screen"/MAR DVD's but will just zoom in/stretch the picture. The picture will be fuzzy and/or stretched and be missing a significant part of the original aspect ratio. The sad part is that many/most people still will not care as long as their screen is somehow filled. They somehow feel cheated if their screen is not filled even if it means the presentation is significantly compromised.:frowning: I only hope that films continue to be offered in OAR in addition to their modified counterparts.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
WS tv's will show them! That's the trump card right there. (hopefully )
I'm finding that many people have avoided purchasing a widescreen TV because they feel that it ruins their television viewing. They don't like the stretch mode, or blowing the picture up.

People generally watch more television shows than they do DVD movies, so their priority is for better looking TV programming.

Pushing widescreen sets to the majority is gonna be a tough sell.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
When the analog TV stations are finally shut off; most new programs will be broadcast in widescreen digital (if not also HD). This will be when the sales of sets really take off.

In the UK, for example, when the stations started doing a lot of broadcasting in widescreen, sets of 16X9 TVs really took off. You can't even find a 4X3 over there anymore!And if I'm not mistaken, the sets aren't HDTVs! So, basically, when people started realizing that the BBC and other outlets were running widescreen shows, they wanted widescreen sets.

I think the American networks need to follow FOX's example in how they label their HD programming. Instead of adding a blurb at the beginning over the show that reads "simulcast in HDTV" why not something like "Broadcast in WIDESCREEN HDTV" so that people who are watching on analog 4X3 sets might think that they are missing something.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Michael,

Maybe so. On the other hand, especially if we're going to fund tax cuts and a war in Iraq, and if the economy remains in the toilet, then the money the Fed will make from the switchover will be needed even more keenly than it is now. And it's all about money.

Jan

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
OAR isn't doomed. As long as there are people who want it, it'll be available on (almost) every widescreen title that comes to DVD. The studios (even Disney) aren't stupid enough to regress back to complete, exclusive use of 4:3 pan-and-scan on DVD, when 4:3 TVs will be completely obsolete within ten years. Just think about it...
Muppet Treasure Island
Muppet Christmas Charol
Journey of Natty Gahn
White Fang
Earnest Movies
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Secret of NIHM
Follow That Bird...

Ali B

Second Unit
I assure you that 4:3 TV sets are still common the UK - most stores carry 70% Widescreen, 30% 'normal' sets in their shops.

ali

Users who are viewing this thread