What's new

Do you balk at defacing your stuff for rebates? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Seems like alot of rebates now require you to cut up the packaging (like the Lion King slipcase) in order to apply for rebates.

At that point, I almost feel like throwing out the fancy slipcase since it's 'damaged'.

Another example, if you want to apply for a rebate on LoR TT:EE, you have to cut up the cover insert for the theatrical edition.

I much prefer the perforated PoP that used to be *inside* Warner DVDs.

Do you balk at defacing your stuff for rebates?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I regretted it when I did it in the early days of DVD, so I don't do it anymore. It probably comes from my days of buying comics, and not cutting up coupons from them either for some special offer.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Generally, no, I have no problem with it. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I care about how the movie looks on my screen, not how the booklet looks in the case.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
It pisses me off!!! :angry:

This where there is only 1 good thing about Snapper cases. The proof of purchase for them is usually on a tiny little tear out tab in the center of the case. Removing detracts nothing from the case.

Essentially I almost NEVER get a rebate on a DVD unless they only require the ORIGINAL register receipt.

It sucks IMHO!

Greg

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

I'm the same way, I almost never save the receipt. That's the great thing about this TTT:EE rebate, you don't have to have the reciept. I rarely want to go to the trouble anyway, but this time I'd make an exception.

I paid $15 for TTT theatrical. Take of the $5 mail in rebate and it cost me $10. Take off the $10 credit you get this week for trading it in when buying the EE and you get to own TTT theatrical for about 4 months for free. Not too shabby.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It's a ploy. The companies offer these goddamn rebates with the full knowledge that m-a-n-y people will not respond because it would mean tearing up their DVD packaging (or because they're lazy, which accounts for a huge percentage of buyers). "Original receipts only - no photocopies allowed." Well, just how many separate rebate offers are there out there which require a receipt from any given item? It's not as though we are able to sent out a hundred photocopies of a sales receipt in order to redeem a hundred different DVD rebate offers... The Warner Bros program is the best because of the tear-off proofs-of-purchase, the loss of which do not damage the product. And the buy-two-get-one-for-$4.95 shipping special editions offer is too good to pass up. Wish the turnaround time was faster.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought "Bend it like Beckham" at a Strawberries store here in the Boston area where they had a $5 mail in rebate. I asked the store clerk if I really had to cut out a big hole at the back as they required the UPC (not the proof of purchase tab). That would give a big hole at the back of mine brand new nice loking DVD. I totally refused and he told me I could send in the plastic cover (which shows the UPC number and title of the movie etc).

Sounded very good and I sent in all teh information with it. A few weeks later I get an email (and also snail mail later) informing me that I would not get the rebate unless I sent them the original UPC. I was very furous now. Went back to the store and yelled at them. The short story is that the store themselves ended up paying me $5 cash right on the spot.

Never ever again these mail-in-rebates. They are useless deceiving gimmicks. They should be banned.

RajeeK

Second Unit
The companies simply make it as difficult as they can to get you to do the rebate. It is very easy for a consumer to simply pick up a DVD with a big $5 rebate sticker on it and pay at the register, thinking, ya I'll do the rebate once I get home.
It's a completely different story when you have to sit down an do it. First of all you have to send every little tid bit exactly or you can expect your rebate to be denied. Cutting out UPC's, copying receipts, addressing envelopes, filling out your info on their rebate forms, sending it all in..come on people it's a real pain in the ass. It takes 15-20 min to do all that just for one DVD. Any may times they need more stuff too. I'll admit I do it, but it's only because I'm cheap. But oh how many times in the middle of it all I am telling myself it's not worth time time. And it probably isn't. This doesn't even take into account you having to follow up on the rebate after they never send it to you. Really a pain, and that's how the companies want it, plain and simple. Less submitted rebates is more money in their pockets.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
my roomate gave me his foolscreen copy of two towers. I won't have any problem rippin that baby up and sending the rebate in.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Strawberries store here in the Boston area where they had a $5 mail in rebate.
This chain goes by the name Coconuts in the midwest (and elsewhere maybe).

I always laugh when they do their weekly 'rebates'.

"Yea, you can get Nemo for $14.99 after rebate, but you have to pay $21.50 now..."

Why would *anyone* bother, you can go to Walmart and pay $14 now (that week anyway).

I'm guessing they don't sell jack (week one) on anything.

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
I never bother with rebates on DVDs for this reason-- I don't like cutting up the cases. Things where they know there is going to be a rebate (like the LOTR DVDs) should include a card or something in the original release that serves as the POP for the rebate-- requiring UPCs is silly.

And some companies just don't do a good job with rebates. I bought a phone at OfficeMax in April and never received my rebate-- I have contacted the e-mail they provided and they don't even bother to respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks