1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you allow friends to borrow your Blu-ray discs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mr. Jingles, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    The conundrum is you can't 'talk up' or rave about a film to a friend and perhaps have them share your appreciation of that film if you're not willing to also lend it to them.

jcroy likes this.
  2. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    For sure.

This is one of many reasons why I don't talk about movies and tv shows with offline friends/acquaintances/colleagues. (This may sound very hypocritical and pseudo-elitist on my part, but I always thought that talking about movies and tv shows at the offline water cooler or happy hour, was beneath me).

The few times I've been pressed offline to further talk about movies or tv shows, I usually replied with responses like: "I don't know", "Never heard of it", "Sounds like garbage", etc ... (ie. Basically feigning ignorance to get them to shut up and change the topic).

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Sure you can, people have plenty ways to watch my recommended films without borrowing my DVDs or BDs. Most of them stream anyway.

4. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer

Luis
    My co-workers (and some family members) all think I'm some kind of movie know-it-all who knows every detail of every movie ever made just because I have lots of movies. Oftentimes the same person/people will ask me something ONLY about a particular movie and nothing else. The world cup is going on and it's what everybody is talking about but no one asks me which team I like or if I saw the game last night - they ask me what movie I saw. I tell them I do have other interests :lol:

To answer the question about lending out movies, the simple answer is no. Luckily I don't get too many requests for loaners since, as someone mentioned above, people nowadays just watch stuff for free online. I live with a sister and occasionally she'll ask to borrow a movie and I reluctantly oblige. She leaves discs lying around and sometimes they've come back with scratches. Other times I have to go fish them out of the player myself. No one in my family has the same taste in movies as I do so I never really have to worry about lending out a classic or a Criterion.

5. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Cinematographer

Rob Ray
    I'm frankly surprised at some of the hostility expressed in some of these posts. If someone wants a movie I have bad enough, I'll see that they get an opportunity to see it, even if I have to arrange a screening.

My passion is collecting films from the studio era (teens through the 60s mainly) and I love sharing my enthusiasm for this hobby. Given that most people today wouldn't know Tyrone Power from Rondo Hatton I don't get many requests to borrow many of my DVDs and BluRays. The many friends I have who do share my niche enthusiasm are themselves collectors and aren't interested in borrowing movies, but collecting them on their own.

At work, I'm Mr. Classic Film Geek, so the water cooler conversation usually involves someone who has seen something on TCM and wants more background information. Too often they will ask me if I've seen some modern movie and I'll draw a blank. But they never ask to borrow a DVD.

When my film buff friends ask if I have a certain movie, it's usually with the idea that I could make them a copy or is it available for purchase rather than wanting to borrow *my* disc. If it's something that's aired on TCM, I may give them a copy and if its one of my many friends who treats their own DVDs with respect, I may actually loan the discs. Often, especially with non-hobbyist friends, I simply order a copy for them off Amazon and save it for Christmas or their birthday.

But I never feel imposed upon when sharing my enthusiasm for classic film. It's my passion and it's something I enjoy spreading around to the uninitiated.

David Weicker likes this.
  6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

To family members and a couple of close friends, yes. My discs have come back in good condition from the people I have lent them to. I might be more careful lending out a movie if it was difficult to replace if damaged.

7. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I may have sounded somewhat more hostile than I intended.

On the other side of the coin, I do give away quite a few of my dvds to friends/acquaintances/collegues if it's a title that I don't watch anymore and/or don't care much about. (No blurays yet, since hardly anybody in my local social circles own a bluray player).

In some cases, it's largely to get that person out of my hair. If they come back again to ask for more dvds, I'll just ask them "What have you done for me lately? I already gave you one/two/three dvds already!" Usually it shuts them up very quickly.

With one local friend who is heavily into movies, we trade blurays every once in awhile. Mostly titles one or the other doesn't watch anymore.

8. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    I let my Daughter borrow dvds & BR, never had a problem(she's 34)
    I did lend out seasons of Battlestar Gallactica to my sister in-law and got them back finger printed, never again!

9. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Cinematographer

Rob Ray
    But that's where I differ. I seldom feel the need to get anyone "out of my hair" or "shut them up very quickly" when it comes to my hobby. Anyone who wants to talk about collecting DVDs can come sit down next to me at the next dinner party.

David Weicker likes this.
  10. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    NO, I do not lend them. If I did, I would put the disc in a spare case. If I did, I'd be much less wary of lending BDs than DVDs, due to BD's impressive resilience compared to DVD.

I do not lend them because I have learned not to. I feel lucky just to get a disc back, way too many people seem to consider them valueless these days. Like their downloads and torrents and $2 boots (really common here) I guess. Maybe if they left a deposit, like a wheel off their car, they'd be more careful...

11. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    I go with Shakespeare on this issue:

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be."

12. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (Going on a huge offtopic tangent, after thinking more deeply).

**** long rant ****

In regard to my mentality of buying + collecting a lot of dvds and blurays, I can only attribute it to me being an "ocd" compulsive collector. (This description only applies to me. I do not know what goes on in another person's mind, nor do I care to speculate).

Before 2011, I had very little to no interest in buying dvds (or blurays for that matter). Over the entire 2000's decade, I only accumulated around two dozen or so dvds which I largely didn't care too much about. (Mostly stuff like Star Trek movies, Terminator, Total Recall, Star Wars, etc ... which I hardly ever watched). If I had never started purchasing dvds/blurays in 2011, most likely I would not have purchased any since. Prior to 2011, the last few dvds I purchased were Beavis and Butthead, and Star Wars. (I never watched the Star Wars and Beavis and Butthead volumes at the time, where they were collecting dust for 4+ years before I ever played them).

Just prior to 2011, my "ocd" compulsive collecting was focused on buying and reading Star Trek novels, mostly from book fairs and library cutouts. After awhile I came to the realization that too many Star Trek novels were largely crap.

In early 2011, I picked up five seasons of the tv show "Numb3rs" (except for the final season) from some after-xmas sales. (With an engineering/science type background, the premise of Numb3rs sounded interesting to me). Shortly thereafter I also picked up stuff like The Shield, The Closer, etc ... which was the start of my "ocd" journey into compulsively collecting dvds.

Since then, I've been asking myself repeatedly why didn't I just stop at Numb3rs and not go any further?? :wacko:

(I remember being very reluctant and hesitant about buying The Shield and The Closer back in early-2011, knowing that I could easily slide into a bottomless "ocd abyss" of compulsively collecting dvds).

It seemed like the more dvds/blurays I was accumulating, the more it was starting to "own" me.

(Hence the great hostility about dealing with friends/acquaintances/colleagues asking me to loan them some movies).

13. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    Why wouldn't I let friends borrow my bds? I used to let them borrow my dvds. That being said, I don't know anyone else immediately who has a bd player, besides my mother (she's borrowed a number of discs, including the Universal Monsters set -- she's the reason I love horror movies). Most of my true friends do not live close to me anymore, they're all with kids, and most don't watch too many of the types of movies I collect, unfortunately.

14. AshJW

AshJW Screenwriter

Thomas
    Well, yes. But not to everybody.

My two best friends with whome I start into the home cinema thing. We lend and borrow, there's no problem because we all know how to handle the discs.

With co-workers it's a different thing. Only a few have Blu-ray players, at this point I only lend and borrow with one co-worker and that worked well so far.

In my family I am the only one with BD's. DVD's only between my father and me, sometimes with my brother.

JohnMor likes this.